Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Looks like The Smoke Monster makes it off the island then..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I've been stuck in Luxemburg since Friday, I want to go home...
    I've looked into the ferry options and its not a pretty journey,
    Either I get a train to Brussels and bus to calais from there and then on the ferry to Dover and train it to Hollyhead and home or I train it to Paris and get the train to Roscoff and get the ferry to Rosslare all options seem to take more that 2o hours from here... Oh well, I hope the air is opened tomorrow and I can fly...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I hope I can fly to Canada in June!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

poisonated wrote: »
    I hope I can fly to Canada in June!:eek:

Not this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

You're not serious are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

poisonated wrote: »
    You're not serious are you?
    I don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mumof3angels

Hi
    My mam is in Portugal and rang me this evening gave me her flight no and asked me check if it was still going on wed. I went onto the rynair web site but could not see where I check this.
    Anyone konw how I check her flight ???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hi
    My mam is in Portugal and rang me this evening gave me her flight no and asked me check if it was still going on wed. I went onto the rynair web site but could not see where I check this.
    Anyone konw how I check her flight ???

ryanair.com : FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS EXTENDED TO 1300HRS WED 21 APR

Anything beyond that is just guesswork until updates tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

New ash cloud heading towards the UK putting the planned reopening of airports in doubt.

- Sky News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

http://www.nats.co.uk/
    Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Monday April 19, 2200

Since our last statement at 1530 today, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is worsening in some areas. Based on this information, the situation for Northern Irish airports for the morning is uncertain, due to the new ash cloud. The latest information shows that Scottish airports should be available from 0700 and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 although not as far south as the main London airports.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change overnight. We will make a further statement at approximately 0300 (local time), tomorrow, Tuesday 20 April and again at 0900 (local time).

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.
    It's looking bad again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

some good links at bottom of this page showing ash flow around europe and also good website for long term forecast much better than rte or met.ie

www.yr.no

use google translator to get translation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yep and im telling ye folks this is going to last for months and if katla blows all bets are off and will make this volcano look like a choir boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Yep and im telling ye folks this is going to last for months and if katla blows all bets are off and will make this volcano look like a choir boy.

That would be the ideal outcome no? Once it gets to its lava stage the pressure is mostly used. As long as the area around it is clear and it blows up, not sideways then the ash cloud would no longer be a problem after the initial eruption.

I agree with you .I hope it doesnt but its natural progression ,last time this volcano went in 1821 and simmered down the Katla took off next !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

It'll all blow over in a week or 2. Wouldn't be rushing to book flights anywhere soon though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

patrickk wrote: »
    I agree with you .I hope it doesnt but its natural progression ,last time this volcano went in 1821 and simmered down the Katla took off next !

Have u seen the latest data for Katla, shocking to say the least, its only a few days until this blows, people have called be sensationlist but im being realistic about this, we have a lot to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Woke up today after a non driving weekend. Got the car washed on Thursday and hadnt driven since then.... Car is filthy from what I can only assume is ash.... No other explanation

I'll be sending Iceland the invoice for another car wash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Have u seen the latest data for Katla, shocking to say the least, its only a few days until this blows, people have called be sensationlist but im being realistic about this, we have a lot to worry about.

You don't as you're in the arse end of geologically dead continent. We don't need to worry either. Icelanders DO need to worry, on the other hand.

I wouldnt worry about it sea freight wont be affected but we all should be prepared for long haul of disruptions here and if katla does blow which as you said and scientists know is very possible ,people living near airports are in for peace for good few months to come I was planning holiday in June but i am wary but if it doesnt happen then we can all breathe sigh of relief and if it does we just keep going life goes on ,the world will manage without air freight and air travel thats what makes us irish very strong in world economy .We are flexible and overcome obstacles now whether government can be as flexible it should be good fun to observe:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Where is the Stena HSS?

I saw the smaller Lynx craft this morning at Dunlaoghaire harbour.

They could do with it when Katla blows her top. :p

Where is the Stena HSS?

I saw the smaller Lynx craft this morning at Dunlaoghaire harbour.

They could do with it when Katla blows her top. :p

time to open up Belfast shipbuilding yards roll on Titanic 2 get it right this time guys yey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I was supposed to fly from Munich to Amsterdam with KLM tonight at 8 o clock, but wasn't taking any chances so came back on the train, just arrived an hour ago. According to the 'your rights' section of the bbc website, under EU law, KLM have to pay for the cost of the train (160 euro). Does anyone know if this true or how I go about claiming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Webmonkey wrote: »

dont see anything

EDIT: now i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

That's actually pretty neat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Its causing less disruption up here than the UWC strike or Drumcree.

Advertisement