Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

303kbbq.png

Please remain like this...

1140 - Tuesday 20th April 2010: Based on the latest Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre reports http://metoffice.com/aviation/vaac/vaacuk_vag.html the following is the situation within Irish Airspace effective from 1300 today Tuesday 20th April.

■Dublin Airport will remain closed for all inbound and outbound commercial flights until 1900 hours tonight.
    ■Shannon Airport will reopen from 1300 hours.
    ■Cork airport will remain closed but a further update will be provided this afternoon.
    ■Overflights of Irish Airspace are permitted above Flight Level 205 (twenty thousand five hundred feet )
    The IAA has no information on any individual flights and passengers should consult airline websites before travelling to the airport for flights.

There will be a further update at 1530.

Ends

For further information contact:

Martin Towey
    Corporate Communications
    Tel: 0872590581

Ken Rogan
    086 317 9955

Latest update.

I'm going West, to JFK tomorrow afternoon from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Does anyone know if the long term car parks in the airports will be sympathetic. My car is in there an extra week now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the long term car parks in the airports will be sympathetic. My car is in there an extra week now :(

Well considering they lost so much money over the last week..... I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I doubt it. Can you not get someone here to pick it for you presuming you have spare key that they get access to.

mikom wrote: »
    Well considering they lost so much money over the last week..... I doubt it.
    Vanbis wrote: »
    I doubt it. Can you not get someone here to pick it for you presuming you have spare key that they get access to.

Yeah thought so. Unfort the spare key doesn't include the keyfob to start engine/disable alarm.

Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Yeah thought so. Unfort the spare key doesn't include the keyfob to start engine/disable alarm.

Ah well

jesus man im sorry to hear that, you still stuck in munich?

would you think about bailing on a train and getting down to the eurostar?

I got home last night after 12 hours, I took three trains, a ferry a two hour car journey a luas ride and a long ass walk but i got home eventually.

jesus man im sorry to hear that, you still stuck in munich?

would you think about bailing on a train and getting down to the eurostar?

I got home last night after 12 hours, I took three trains, a ferry a two hour car journey a luas ride and a long ass walk but i got home eventually.
    I think I might have to look into that option but I'll wait until tomorrow evening as flight scheduled thursday morning.

It will cost a fortune though. The trains for france along from here are close to 200 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I think I might have to look into that option but I'll wait until tomorrow evening as flight scheduled thursday morning.

It will cost a fortune though. The trains for france along from here are close to 200 euro

jesus...... dunno what to say man, hang in there, i know you must be doing your nut over there..... :(

jesus...... dunno what to say man, hang in there, i know you must be doing your nut over there..... :(
    Ah I'll be grand thanks :D

I baught a netbook and using dodgy wifi to keep me sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Icelands President says that this current eruption is just 'small rehearsal' for whats yet to come.:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8631343.stm?ls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Feeling sorry for my brother, he is supposed to be in Korea on Saturday for his wedding. This is of course looking less likely day by day.

Icelands President says that this current eruption is just 'small rehearsal' for whats yet to come.:)

Nice, that looks promising :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I was at London City Airport this morning and it was deserted. It was like "Waiting for Godot" Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes. It's awful. By contrast the Eurostar terminal at St Pancras is having a field day! And that,s how it,s been since Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

So what will actually happen if Katla blows? Im not talking about travel disruption I mean will we in Ireland be affected? Would people die? What about the people in Iceland??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Shannon Airport is offering refunds to anybody delayed in returning, I'd imagine the same applies at Dublin. Make sure to ask before you leave.

edit:
    Car park customers who have been charged for an additional unplanned stay as a result of the disruption to air travel caused by the volcanic ash cloud are asked to contact the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA), as they may be entitled to a refund for the extra portion of their stay. Customers should provide details of their original trip, and of any alternative travel plans that they made as a result of the disruption.

Please send information to the following address:

Volcanic Ash Car Park Refund
    c/o Car Parks Administration
    Dublin Airport
    Co Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I bailed from Munich to Amsterdam yesterday on the train, apparently whoever you were meant to fly with has to refund you the cost of the train (according to bbc's interpretation of EU law anyway). I haven't called KLM yet cause i'm sure the last thing they need is some prick looking for compo when they have other, more important things to be getting on with. I'll give them a shout 'when the dust settles.'

14.22 Airport Parking Site, who control car parks at Dublin and Cork airports, have set up a dedicated email service to answer queries from those affected by the travel disruption. The address is volcanicash@airportparkingsite.ie

From RTE News.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

PJTierney wrote: »
    14.22 Airport Parking Site, who control car parks at Dublin and Cork airports, have set up a dedicated email service to answer queries from those affected by the travel disruption. The address is volcanicash@airportparkingsite.ie

From RTE News.

Just about to post up that information myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

ok, I know how we can fix this emergency!
    let's send Frodo with the ring there and he will throw it in the lava, no more ashes and all happy!
    this volcano really looks like Sauron here :D
    http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00555/ashcloud2_Reuters_555709s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks like the weather might sort things out towards the end of the week (24/25th)

_47678457_wind_map466.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

You should see some of the prices the airlines are charging for flight now. I looked up flying with another airline this Sunday because I think I'll have to wait until the middle of next week to get a flight with the airline I'm going with now.

I checked online last night and these are the two crazy ones that stood out. Aer Lingus are charging €2100 one way to NY on Sunday and Air New Zealand are trying to charge people €7000 (that's $14000 NZD - about third of an average persons annual salary) for a one way flight - economy class, not business or first from Dublin to Wellington. How on earth are they getting away with that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

watna wrote: »
    You should see some of the prices the airlines are charging for flight now. I looked up flying with another airline this Sunday because I think I'll have to wait until the middle of next week to get a flight with the airline I'm going with now.

I checked online last night and these are the two crazy ones that stood out. Aer Lingus are charging €2100 one way to NY on Sunday and Air New Zealand are trying to charge people €7000 (that's $14000 NZD - about third of an average persons annual salary) for a one way flight - economy class, not business or first from Dublin to Wellington. How on earth are they getting away with that?

Its all about supply and demand. Some people are desperate enough to be paying that price, otherwise they wouldn't be that high.:)

Holy crap that's huge, a 1000% hike on the NY one at least.

Its all about supply and demand. Some people are desperate enough to be paying that price, otherwise they wouldn't be that high.:)

Yes, but they're taking advantage of desperate people. Nobody should have to pay that much for an economy ticket, no matter what the situation. I'm sure I read somewhere that the European Government were going to be watching out for this kind of thing. It's disgraceful.

I can only hope they have copped on and changed that since I did my desperate internet searching last night. I couldn't believe my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

that is what you call
    kicking a person in the face when they are down
    i bet all this takeover challenge by m o leary will calm down now, no more bickering
    this thing could last and last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 TC cork

whats the update on travelling???:confused:

Advertisement