Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

watna wrote: »
    You should see some of the prices the airlines are charging for flight now. I looked up flying with another airline this Sunday because I think I'll have to wait until the middle of next week to get a flight with the airline I'm going with now.

I checked online last night and these are the two crazy ones that stood out. Aer Lingus are charging €2100 one way to NY on Sunday and Air New Zealand are trying to charge people €7000 (that's $14000 NZD - about third of an average persons annual salary) for a one way flight - economy class, not business or first from Dublin to Wellington. How on earth are they getting away with that?

I know it's basic supply and demand, but it's sickening that a company would charge so much to people in need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Breaking News Breaking News.
    All Flights into British and Irish airspace cancelled until 1.am tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Breaking News Breaking News.
    All Flights into British and Irish airspace cancelled until 1.am tomorrow morning.

& here is tom with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

grizzly wrote: »
    I know it's basic supply and demand, but it's sickening that a company would charge so much to people in need.

But aren't the people that are stuck away entitled to a flight home when services do resume, so those prices don't really affect them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

JazzyJ wrote: »
    But aren't the people that are stuck away entitled to a flight home when services do resume, so those prices don't really affect them?

They are, yes, but, as in my case there is a huge wait for seats on flights out so I will have to wait another week for a place on a flight out of here. I was looking in to cancelling my current tickets and buying another one with an airline that had seats earlier - until I saw the prices they are charging. I checked them over the weekend and they were normal prices. I checked the same date last night and they were astronomical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

goat2 wrote: »
    that is what you call
    kicking a person in the face when they are down
    i bet all this takeover challenge by m o leary will calm down now, no more bickering
    this thing could last and last

Are you alledging that Facekicker works in the airline industry ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

TC cork wrote: »
    whats the update on travelling???:confused:

We're outta tar boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The volcano is starting to contract apparently.
    How likely is it that this other volcano will erupt? It is supposed to be every 100 years so hopefuly it isn't for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

British Airways defying airspace restrictions at the moment as they are trying to land in Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Yes, but they're taking advantage of desperate people. Nobody should have to pay that much for an economy ticket, no matter what the situation. I'm sure I read somewhere that the European Government were going to be watching out for this kind of thing. It's disgraceful.

Absolutely disgraceful!

Supply and demand is absolutley no justification for rip-off pricing... they can hardly justify such price hikes because of increased demand and less supply... their costs and overheads will remain much the same. If anything they will likely have full capacity so will be making more profit and revenue per flight than usual and costs will be much the same.

Companies that do this should be named, shamed and boycotted in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I just looked at the Aer Lingus site to see if they had changed the price from when I looked at it last night. The original one I looked at is now sold out (did some fool pay that much money I wonder?) but they have a seat for Dublin to Chicago on Monday for €1830 one way. :eek:

The Air NZ one is also gone and they only have flights left for next Thursday at €2,500 which is still pretty steep but the flights do get to that price sometimes.

I can't get over Aer Lingus. It's just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I just looked at the Aer Lingus site to see if they had changed the price from when I looked at it last night. The original one I looked at is now sold out (did some fool pay that much money I wonder?) but they have a seat for Dublin to Chicago on Monday for €1830 one way. :eek:

The Air NZ one is also gone and they only have flights left for next Thursday at €2,500 which is still pretty steep but the flights do get to that price sometimes.

I can't get over Aer Lingus. It's just terrible.
    i do hope everyone remember this when things go back to normal, and keep them out of their plans for travel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

when i saw the posts about the EI prices i checked a flight from dub-jfk 580e one way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Cetain airlines (the usual suspects Aerl Lingus, Ryanair,etc:rolleyes:) should be ashamed of themselves for not setting up dedicated phone lines and not giving more information to those stranded abroad, not only that but Ryanair never pass up an opportunity to make a quick buck
    A limited number of seats will be available to passengers who opted for a refund from Ryanair, but still find themselves disrupted on the Canary Islands, for a special one way fare €100 (inc taxes and charges)

€100 one way, robbing c***s:mad: and that's only to the Spanish mainland, unreal.

I feel sorry for people stranded i know of 2 people stuck abroad, my own flight to Dublin thic coming friday is in doubt but it's not essential travel although im gonna miss a good mates birthday party and a few other things.

With the amount of test flights that have ben carried out and no damage reported i believe this is a massive massive over reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jonnny68 wrote: »

€100 one way, robbing c***s:mad: and that's only to the Spanish mainland, unreal.

Thats a fair enough price and I would rather pay that than be stuck overnight on a boat.

The Canaries are not the Arran Islands, they are several hundred miles south off the coast of Africa, IE in excess of 1400 Km to Malaga or 1700 Km to Madrid, Ryanair do not run their planes on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

With the amount of test flights that have ben carried out and no damage reported i believe this is a massive massive over reaction.

The potential for engine failure is there.

In 1981 British Airways flight 9 hit an ash cloud all 4 engines on the 747 cut out

Today most commercial airlines have just two engines to go wrong. All it takes is one crash, I would rather be safe than sorry.

There has been reported engine damage on several NATO F16's.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/19/volcano-ash-clouds-jet-da_n_542478.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Whats the craic with flying into Ireland from Spain, is that going ahead tmw night? as my flight is at 2230pm our time

RasTa wrote: »
    Whats the craic with flying into Ireland from Spain, is that going ahead tmw night? as my flight is at 2230pm our time
    Get yourself some Rosary beads. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

sky news reporting all uk airports now open again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 taheen

saw planes flying over Sligo/Mayo coast this evening.
    not going across Atlantic as usual but turning around.
    test flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

taheen wrote: »
    test flights?

Oceanic 815

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Wonder what the chances that Aerlingus will fly their european flights tomorrow? They've cancelled them all today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Wonder what the chances that Aerlingus will fly their european flights tomorrow? They've cancelled them all today

I thought they have just canceled theirs until 1pm today no?

I'm trying to get some info for my folks who are due to fly to Krakow in the morning but Aer Lingus aint answering their phones...idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I thought they have just canceled theirs until 1pm today no?

I'm trying to get some info for my folks who are due to fly to Krakow in the morning but Aer Lingus aint answering their phones...idiots.
    sorry you correct

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

taheen wrote: »
    test flights?

Various flights from north america which somehow knew that the UK airspace was due to be opened up 7+ hours before anyone in the UK did and were just circling over Shannon waiting, some landed at Shannon briefly. Various people on the news today claiming that the airlines did not pressurise the government to open the airspace last night, but when the first flight to land has come from Vancouver I'd be inclined to not believe them and they just decided it better to let the planes land rather than drop them all in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

robinph wrote: »
    Various flights from north america which somehow knew that the UK airspace was due to be opened up 7+ hours before anyone in the UK did and were just circling over Shannon waiting, some landed at Shannon briefly. Various people on the news today claiming that the airlines did not pressurise the government to open the airspace last night, but when the first flight to land has come from Vancouver I'd be inclined to not believe them and they just decided it better to let the planes land rather than drop them all in the ocean.

well I was talking to a friend who was listening in to the chatter from the pilots above Shannon and they were none the wiser as they approached UK airspace last night. Initially UK told the planes to bog off as their airspace was closed which is why they hovered around Shannon for a while.
    He said basically they were bitching about the guys in UK ATC :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought they would have needed clearance for their route before they took off from wherever though, which cannot have been given that many hours before hand. So they must have just been told by the airlines to "Take off, well knock some head together at this end by the time you get here".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

well I was talking to a friend who was listening in to the chatter from the pilots above Shannon and they were none the wiser as they approached UK airspace last night. Initially UK told the planes to bog off as their airspace was closed which is why they hovered around Shannon for a while.
    He said basically they were bitching about the guys in UK ATC :D

That all sounds risky. To be honest if airlines are challenging civilian authority like that I hope they get their knuckles severely rapped

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

anyone know if etihad airways is flying to abu dhabi by this weekend? only gives departure times until tomorrow.

Advertisement