Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair weather walkers

Options
  • 15-04-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is anyone else beginning to experience the fair weather walkers at the moment.

In the past few weeks with the weather getting nicer and the days getting longer i'm noticing everyone is out walking and enjoying the nice weather.. however there are the few that give me looks when they see me walking my dog.. as if our being out is ruining their walk.

I tend to walk Gunnar on his cani-x harness and line so he has a bit of freedom though if I see a group of people or dogs I can grab him back usually quick enough and hold him beside me so he doesn't bother anyone.

Once or twice I havn't reeled him in as quick as I would have liked and he managed to get the tip of his nose up to some ladies hand to which she went "uughh!" and gave me a dirty look before walking on (even though I apologised!). Others give me a dirty look and make a point of moving well out of our way to pass us :rolleyes: (As I said Gunnar is on a lead being walked and I generally hold him by my side passing people! )

What bothers me is i'm out in the thick of winter in the snow or the lashing rain walking and they think that because there is a bit of sunshine I shouldn't bring my dog out for his usual daily walk as it's disturbing their one or two walks of the week or possibly even the month!

Is anyone else experiencing this or something similar lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Oh, yes I am getting this to. My fella is only 5 months old and barks and howls the odd time while walking. Have had some people say I should not have him out where people are walking, now it's not a constant thing just every 5 mins or so. I have him on a short lead and I don't let him near anyone unless they ask to pet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Not only am I noticing the fair weather walkers (which is fine by me) but more so the fair weather dog walkers, people out walking their dogs that I'd barely have seen before. That I've not seen out walking in bad/cold weather.

Makes you wonder if their dogs only get walked on nice days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

People probably only react that way to big dogs, or dogs they think could be dangerous, but probably aren't. Because with my small dogs people never react that way, they'll usually stop and see them or say that I've got my hands full when the three of them are walking in different directions and tangling up their leads! :rolleyes: I can imagine people just being prejudiced to big dogs. And to "non-pretty dogs". One of my dogs is kinda a tom boy, and she's hyper and always has her hair messed up even if she's just been brushed, and people will usually ignore her and go see the other two pretty ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

star-pants wrote: »
    Not only am I noticing the fair weather walkers (which is fine by me) but more so the fair weather dog walkers, people out walking their dogs that I'd barely have seen before. That I've not seen out walking in bad/cold weather.

Makes you wonder if their dogs only get walked on nice days.

My dogs get walked in winter, but not if it's raining! To be fair though, they won't even come out of the shed if it's raining. They got walked in the snow though, and nearly made me fall over about three times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Can't agree with the OP. Yes more people are out walking and that's great. I'm delighted they can now do so. I never get that reaction when walking my Rough Collies. The opposite in fact. People come over to see them and comment on them. The are gentle dogs and always well behaved.
    I have to say, much as I love my dogs, I can understand that many many people are uncomforable about dogs and many are genuinely afraid of them. People will sometimes move out of the way when they see a dog. I accept that and I'm always consious of the fact when meeting people out walking. If you dog comes too close to someone who is uncomfortable with that then you have to appreciate their position. You know your dog, you love your dog but they don't have to. Live and let live and accept others peoples feelings.
    Just because we have to walk our dogs all year round I really think it's arrogant to dismiss people who are now out enjoying the return of decent weather.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

New breed "rough ollies?" Sounds scary.;)

Graces7 wrote: »
    New breed "rough ollies?" Sounds scary.;)

You're hillarious! :P

Never had a typo in you life I suppose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You're hillarious! :P

Never had a typo in you life I suppose. :)

I am well known for.... interesting.. typos.:rolleyes:

But hey, keep a sense of humour please.

NB Hilarious? Sounds steep your way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

jen_23 wrote: »
    Once or twice I havn't reeled him in as quick as I would have liked and he managed to get the tip of his nose up to some ladies hand to which she went "uughh!" and gave me a dirty look before walking on (even though I apologised!). Others give me a dirty look and make a point of moving well out of our way to pass us :rolleyes: (As I said Gunnar is on a lead being walked and I generally hold him by my side passing people! )
    ?

An aunt a cousin and one of my mothers friends completely freak out with dogs they are absolutely terrified , even around pooki my 16/17 (maybe 18) week old puppy only one of them mill attempt to pet him (even though she is obviously extremely uncomfortable ) but if he starts to jump on the she will panic , my aunt will dart to the other side of the room and not turn her back on him when shuffling by to get out the door and my cousin whilst ok with being close to him gets very upset if he comes over to her. All these people have good reasons for the way they are . What you have to remember is that it is not your dog that makes them like that it is the memory of some one else’s dog that makes them like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

morganafay wrote: »
    My dogs get walked in winter, but not if it's raining! To be fair though, they won't even come out of the shed if it's raining. They got walked in the snow though, and nearly made me fall over about three times!

Oh same here, my older dog won't go out in the heavy rain, light rain yes.
    We were out in the snow too (I also fell on my backside).
    I didn't mean that people who don't walk them in heavy rain etc are bad, obviously circumstances with people and the dogs themselves come into play. But I mean in general, when you know the dog wasn't walked during winter, but it's out now, just seems odd to me.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    But I mean in general, when you know the dog wasn't walked during winter, but it's out now, just seems odd to me.

You're jumping to conclusions all over the place here. I know I take my dog on different walks now the bright weather is here, than I did in Winter. In Winter we stayed closer to the house and on roads which were drier. Now we take longer walks, visit fields and parks etc. We have met people we knew who commented that they thought we had stopped walking because they hadn't seen us. It was simply that we were out at different times and on different routes and our paths didn't cross for a few months. We had in fact walked for a minimum of 1 hour every day bar 3 from last November.
    Let's lighten up and enjoy walking in the fine weather after a hard Winter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Couldn't agree more OP. Me and my parents have notice this alot. My dad had the dogs out in the snow, lashing rain, they loved it! Didn't bother them at all. But now that the nice weather is back, people are out in their droves and some, not all, do make you feel unwelcome in places that were deserted in winter!

I find most people are alright, however, its people with children that annoy me the most.
    As in, children who start screaming the minute they see out two (small) leaded terriers approaching. It really annoys me because alot of it is down to the parents passing on their own fears to the child.

One small boy jumped out onto the road one day when he saw our dogs on the path :eek:

I don't really understand children who are terrified of dogs, unless there is a legitimite reason. I think its great when you see toddlers and children clapping and smiling over a dog. This is only my opinion! I know I'm biased as an animal lover.

I don't really understand children who are terrified of dogs, unless there is a legitimite reason. I think its great when you see toddlers and children clapping and smiling over a dog. This is only my opinion! I know I'm biased as an animal lover.
    (I really don't know why I'm allowing myself to get dragged into this but...)Of course you are biased. :) You love animals and Dogs, it seems, in particular but you have to accept that many children are scared of dogs, as as many adults. My own Mother (God rest her) was terrified of Dogs but loved my dogs because she had become familiar with them
    Please be understanding of others.

I am understanding of others. My problem isn't so much about them being afraid of dogs, it's the parents that pass on their fears to the children that annoy me.

Often when out walking I see parents making a big fuss getting all flustered and steering their kids away from dogs, when usually the children don't have a problem. It's the parent over reacting. Or if the child comes running over, the parents start yelling at them to come back away from the dogs. I just find it a bit silly.

There were three siblings that lived in my estate who were terrified of dogs becuase their mum and granny were. They eventually got used to my dog and started playing with her, and now they don't have a problem with other dogs at all.

I do understand people who have a genuine fear of them, I just don't like that they would pass that on to their child, and who make a huge unnecessary fuss whenever there is a dog near.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

dont agree either with OP. just because some of us like dogs and dont mind them slobbering on us or touching us that does not mean that everyone else has to feel the same. I think it is just another thing (along with not cleaning up after dogs and leaving them loose) that gives dog owners a bad name.
    I awlk my dogs on a flexi lead but would never let them near anyone who was not inviting them, it is a bit presumptious I think.
    In a similar vane if I am walking the dog on a lead I expect people to keep their kids from running up to us.
    People do pass their fears on to kids and while annoying it is probably natural. I was savagely attacked as a kid and funnily enough i am not scared but some of those who witnessed the attack and were trying to extract me are terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

If people kept their dogs on leads everyone would be able to go walking when ever they pleased. Dog owners who won't keep their dogs on leads stop other people who are nervous of dogs from having what should be routine freedoms for all.

I know of many people who would love to go walking, jogging etc but are too nervous to do so because so dog owners are either too unaware or to selfish to see that their dogs are causing problems for others.

I dont care if you have the best behaved dog in the world - unless I know you and your dog I wont be aware of this. I dont want a dog going anywhere near me it makes me feel sick with terror when they do, you might think its ok but I don't. Most dogs are meant to be kept on a lead and the law dictates this - but out of consideration for the whole population, dog owners should just keep their dogs on leads.

In many counrties it is becoming more and more common place for restrictions to be put on areas where dogs are allowed. Public parks, etc are now out of bounds. I'd love this type of legislation to be brought introduced in Ireland but if people were considerate enough to keep their dogs on leads then there wouldn't be a need for it - so come on dont make us people who are afraid of dogs start lobbying for this - just keep your dog on a lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I think that Rough Ollie is a great name for a breed. :)

Just picked up a male lab cross from Dogs Trust at the weekend. He's about 14 months old and a good size dog. I have him out for walks at least three times a day, two of which will be around the hour long mark morning and evening, with a shorter walk in the afternoon. There are loads of dog walkers in the area, so I don't get any attitude from people, at least not yet. The weather has been fine, so I have no idea how he'll behave in the wet.

I keep him on a loose lead if he's behaving himself and staying by my side, only shortening it when we meet people or other dogs. He doesn't get off the lead outside the house because I'm afraid that he mightn't come back yet. I'll try that in a few weeks maybe...

I'm feeding him Royal Canin and he's wolfing it down. Can anyone suggest a cheap place to get it?

I am understanding of others. My problem isn't so much about them being afraid of dogs, it's the parents that pass on their fears to the children that annoy me.

Often when out walking I see parents making a big fuss getting all flustered and steering their kids away from dogs, when usually the children don't have a problem. It's the parent over reacting. Or if the child comes running over, the parents start yelling at them to come back away from the dogs. I just find it a bit silly.

There were three siblings that lived in my estate who were terrified of dogs becuase their mum and granny were. They eventually got used to my dog and started playing with her, and now they don't have a problem with other dogs at all.

I do understand people who have a genuine fear of them, I just don't like that they would pass that on to their child, and who make a huge unnecessary fuss whenever there is a dog near.

Hope you and your dog were in an enclosed front garden and not stopping people who may have been nervous of your dog from walking down your street. This is often a problem for the general public, some dog owners wo leave their dogs out in the front don't realise this because they cant understand how people are frightened of dogs. Fortunately for them its not something they have to understand or live with, all they have to do is keep their dogs on a lead when they are in public places.

I keep him on a loose lead if he's behaving himself and staying by my side, only shortening it when we meet people or other dogs. He doesn't get off the lead outside the house because I'm afraid that he mightn't come back yet. I'll try that in a few weeks maybe...

Any chance you could keep him on a lead :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Can't agree with the OP. Yes more people are out walking and that's great. I'm delighted they can now do so. I never get that reaction when walking my Rough Collies. The opposite in fact. People come over to see them and comment on them. The are gentle dogs and always well behaved.
    I have to say, much as I love my dogs, I can understand that many many people are uncomforable about dogs and many are genuinely afraid of them. People will sometimes move out of the way when they see a dog. I accept that and I'm always consious of the fact when meeting people out walking. If you dog comes too close to someone who is uncomfortable with that then you have to appreciate their position. You know your dog, you love your dog but they don't have to. Live and let live and accept others peoples feelings.
    Just because we have to walk our dogs all year round I really think it's arrogant to dismiss people who are now out enjoying the return of decent weather.:mad:

Well said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Any chance you could keep him on a lead :confused:
    I will when there're people around, etc. I'm normally out early-ish in the morning, before eight, and there aren't many people around. I'd just like to be able to throw a ball to him when I'm in the park, that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

jen_23 wrote: »
    Just wondering is anyone else beginning to experience the fair weather walkers at the moment.

In the past few weeks with the weather getting nicer and the days getting longer i'm noticing everyone is out walking and enjoying the nice weather.. however there are the few that give me looks when they see me walking my dog.. as if our being out is ruining their walk.

I tend to walk Gunnar on his cani-x harness and line so he has a bit of freedom though if I see a group of people or dogs I can grab him back usually quick enough and hold him beside me so he doesn't bother anyone.

What bothers me is i'm out in the thick of winter in the snow or the lashing rain walking and they think that because there is a bit of sunshine I shouldn't bring my dog out for his usual daily walk as it's disturbing their one or two walks of the week or possibly even the month!

Is anyone else experiencing this or something similar lately?

completely agree with this - i walk my crowd morning and evening every day of the year, come rain or shine, hail or snow, winds and ailments - and then the weather gets nice and you get people out walking looking at you sideways, as if you got five heads - which i have with four dogs :D i would love for someone to say something to me though - i'd be like "well i don't recall seeing you out walking in the floods in november or the snow in january?"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I dont care if you have the best behaved dog in the world - unless I know you and your dog I wont be aware of this. I dont want a dog going anywhere near me it makes me feel sick with terror when they do, you might think its ok but I don't. Most dogs are meant to be kept on a lead and the law dictates this - but out of consideration for the whole population, dog owners should just keep their dogs on leads.
    While I understand your point of view, your fear of dogs is in reality, your problem. While everyone has a duty to ensure that their animals do not cause damage or otherwise become a public nuisance, I do not believe that anyone has a duty to pander to irrational fears that other people may or may not have.

For example, some people are afraid of buttons. No, I'm not joking. Should I therefore be required to cover up my buttons in case I meet one of these people? Some people are afraid of clowns. Should we ban people from dressing up as clowns in public?

No, of course not. We can only legislate for actual dangers, not for unfounded personal fears.

Most dogs are not required to be kept on leads, the law simply requires that the animal is under control. In public parks, they are usually required to be kept on a lead except during certain times.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that too many people allow uncontrolled dogs off the leash in inappropriate circumstances, but I don't for one second believe that the control of animals legislation needs to account for the fears of one small section of society.

For people who are afraid of dogs, they have two options:
    1. Get psychiatric help. This is an emotional fear based on experience (not reality) which can be countered and calmed.
    2. Don't go anywhere that you're likely to meet a dog.

I'm not trying to be mean or get at you personally here, but there's far too much emphasis these days on having everyone avoid offending anyone else, no matter how niche or irrational that offence is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

seamus wrote: »
    While I understand your point of view, your fear of dogs is in reality, your problem. While everyone has a duty to ensure that their animals do not cause damage or otherwise become a public nuisance, I do not believe that anyone has a duty to pander to irrational fears that other people may or may not have.

For example, some people are afraid of buttons. No, I'm not joking. Should I therefore be required to cover up my buttons in case I meet one of these people? Some people are afraid of clowns. Should we ban people from dressing up as clowns in public?

No, of course not. We can only legislate for actual dangers, not for unfounded personal fears.

Most dogs are not required to be kept on leads, the law simply requires that the animal is under control. In public parks, they are usually required to be kept on a lead except during certain times.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that too many people allow uncontrolled dogs off the leash in inappropriate circumstances, but I don't for one second believe that the control of animals legislation needs to account for the fears of one small section of society.

For people who are afraid of dogs, they have two options:
    1. Get psychiatric help. This is an emotional fear based on experience (not reality) which can be countered and calmed.
    2. Don't go anywhere that you're likely to meet a dog.

I'm not trying to be mean or get at you personally here, but there's far too much emphasis these days on having everyone avoid offending anyone else, no matter how niche or irrational that offence is.

Great post Seamus, i totally agree with this.

Hope you and your dog were in an enclosed front garden and not stopping people who may have been nervous of your dog from walking down your street. This is often a problem for the general public, some dog owners wo leave their dogs out in the front don't realise this because they cant understand how people are frightened of dogs. Fortunately for them its not something they have to understand or live with, all they have to do is keep their dogs on a lead when they are in public places.

???
    It was in my back garden actually. The kids were my friends and used to play with me in my house and back garden. They used to be scared to come into the house because of the dog but they got used to her and got over their fears.

You're quite defensive about this whole dog situation. Nowhere did I say the dog was off lead or out roaming the streets. Just becuase I have a dog does not mean I let him wander around to intimidate other people.

Completely agree with Seamus.
    I also don't think its realistic to keep a dog on the lead ALL the time. There is a park near me where I bring my two, that has lots of back fields that are separate from the main park that people don't generally walk in. I see lots of dog owners doing the same in this area. They need a proper run every now and then!

PaulB91 wrote: »
    i would love for someone to say something to me though - i'd be like "well i don't recall seeing you out walking in the floods in november or the snow in january?"
    What the heck has that got to do with anything. Just because we walked our Dogs in all weathers through the Winter does not take from someone elses right to walk undeterred by dogs. There is no law that people must walk everyday to has a right to walk at all.

This is becoming nonsense. There seems to be alot of people with giant chips on their shoulders.

I will when there're people around, etc. I'm normally out early-ish in the morning, before eight, and there aren't many people around. I'd just like to be able to throw a ball to him when I'm in the park, that kind of thing.

Well suppose there will be less people around with another dog of their lead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have noticed more walkers lately, but it doesn't bother me or the dogs. I walk them on short leads, apart from the place I let them off for a run. Its very quiet and I can see someone coming from a good distance and put them on the lead or call them away. I have a tiny yard so the off lead time is great, I think the fact my dogs are kinda cute helps with people, and they are very good natured. Its a small town so I know most people and dogs.
    The thing that does bother me is the people who see me daily and are always saying "oh you're always out with those dogs" as if it's a bad thing.
    I walk my dogs twice a day a minimum of 1/2hour(if it's raining heavy the little one is very reluctant to go at all) and on a good day it could be 4 times, usually 2 long walks and 2 round the block 10 min walks.
    Even when I'm tired I still enjoy it as they love being out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I walk Sindy who's nearly a year every day, hail, rain or shine, except when I'm sick when my brother or hubbie take her. We have a flexi lead and on approaching people I pull her in with the command back. She has learned not to jump up at people, cause now she's full grown they don't find it so cute and if I am coming on a situation such as another dog that I can tell from it's stance isn't dog friendly I distract her with a treat until the other dog has passed.
    In the past three weeks, after extensive training of the come, back and no command I have started letting her off lead in specific areas, such as a local park, when there are no kids near, up three rock and occassionally on the beach when the tide is right out and she can run about without making a nuisance of herself and as soon as we approach either an unfriendly looking dog or people she is leashed again. She is doing well with my biggest problem being her running to other dogs to play which I'm trying to train her out of, but she's young and it takes time.
    I could of course keep her locked up in garden, walk her on a small lead and give her no freedom, so that should she escape from my garden, which has 6 foot walls around it, she will jump on everyone who she encounters, including children, run up to every dog, have no road sense and be a slobberng mess.
    I am trying to raise a well behaved dog and am always conscious of those who are scared of dogs and keep her under control but they also need to understand that just as we don't own the roads, park etc. neither do they. They suffer from a fear that is theirs and should not unduly affect responsible dog owners or their dogs. Everyone has the right to walk, those with and without dogs and should respect each other.
    My hubbie is allergic to cats but he doesn't freak every time he sees one in the garden or my mums cat TipTop, and that is a realistic fear. So can the anti-dog brigade calm down a bit and appreciate that the dogs are under control and the owners doing their best?

• Advertisement

???
    It was in my back garden actually. The kids were my friends and used to play with me in my house and back garden. They used to be scared to come into the house because of the dog but they got used to her and got over their fears.

You're quite defensive about this whole dog situation. Nowhere did I say the dog was off lead or out roaming the streets. Just becuase I have a dog does not mean I let him wander around to intimidate other people.

Completely agree with Seamus.
    I also don't think its realistic to keep a dog on the lead ALL the time. There is a park near me where I bring my two, that has lots of back fields that are separate from the main park that people don't generally walk in. I see lots of dog owners doing the same in this area. They need a proper run every now and then!

Glad to hear it was in the back garden - and that you dont leave your dog roam, you wont beleive that amount of people who do though.

Yes I am quite defensive your are right but its because people who do not keep their dogs on lead are literally ruining my life and the lives of many people. Also with regard to keeping dogs on leads all the time, dont get a dog if you don't have the space to let it move around its not fair on the dog.
    Quite alot of dog breeds are not meant to be outside unless they are on a lead under the Control of Dogs Act.

If a person chooses to get a dog its their own personal decision and they shouldn't inflict their dog on other people. If a person decides to get a dog they should walk it but that should not impact on other peoples right to walk in comfort and that means without begin made uncomfortable by some dog owners

Dog phobia is the 4th largest phobia that exists, dog owners are well aware that some people maybe frightened of their dogs and some appear to be miffed by this. I can't go anywhere on my because although people know they should keep their dogs on leads some won't.
    I have gone for all sorts treatment for this (I used to find it really embarassing) but fear of dogs is a huge problem and it would appear that it exists in a large part because dog owners don't train their dogs properly and don't keep them under control when in public places (real control, on a lead, not subjective control).

I pity poor dogs who aren't properly trained or are off leads, its not there fault there frightening, but thoughtless owners make the situation much worse and that is why town and county council and the legislators are opting to bring in stricter controls with regard to dogs. Dog owners need to realise this because there right to walk a dog will become more and more restricted (as it has been in some parts of Britain and mainland Europe) it they don't start using common sense. Its the dogs that will lose out in the long run.
    Just cause I am terrified of dogs doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be looked after properly, its just a pity more dog owners dont feel the same

Advertisement