Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair weather walkers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

seamus wrote: »
    While I understand your point of view, your fear of dogs is in reality, your problem. While everyone has a duty to ensure that their animals do not cause damage or otherwise become a public nuisance, I do not believe that anyone has a duty to pander to irrational fears that other people may or may not have.

For example, some people are afraid of buttons. No, I'm not joking. Should I therefore be required to cover up my buttons in case I meet one of these people? Some people are afraid of clowns. Should we ban people from dressing up as clowns in public?

No, of course not. We can only legislate for actual dangers, not for unfounded personal fears.

Most dogs are not required to be kept on leads, the law simply requires that the animal is under control. In public parks, they are usually required to be kept on a lead except during certain times.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that too many people allow uncontrolled dogs off the leash in inappropriate circumstances, but I don't for one second believe that the control of animals legislation needs to account for the fears of one small section of society.

For people who are afraid of dogs, they have two options:
    1. Get psychiatric help. This is an emotional fear based on experience (not reality) which can be countered and calmed.
    2. Don't go anywhere that you're likely to meet a dog.

I'm not trying to be mean or get at you personally here, but there's far too much emphasis these days on having everyone avoid offending anyone else, no matter how niche or irrational that offence is.

Fair enough points Seamus but the problem is alot of people are afraid of dogs not just me so its not just my problen and many who are not don't particularly like dogs being of leads, and there have been many surveys done and a majority of people while not afraid of dogs, don't want to be in a situation where they are approached by other peoples dogs. Also a dog is a licenced animal and you are legally obilged to have it under your control at all times.

Also The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (SO.I. No. 442 of 1998) states
    that there are certain rules in relation to the following breeds (and
    strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:

a.. American Pit Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull
    Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Dobermann Pinscher
    b.. German Shepherd (Alsatian) , Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler ,
    Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa, Bandog
    The rules state that:
    a.. These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short
    strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    b.. These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever
    they are in a public place
    c.. These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar
    bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

Now an awful lot of dogs are strains or crosses of these breeds and are not only meant to be on a lead but are also meant to be muzzled when in a public place. The strain means just that any percentage.
    I know that last year there lot of the councils were lobbied with regard to enforcement of these laws. Some dog owners may not realise the problems they are creating for all dog owners in the future.

I shouldn't have to tell people to keep certain dogs on a lead and be muzzeled at all times . Further I shouldn't have to tell people to keep their dogs out of restricted areas and I wouldnt, I'd be to afraid.
    I should just call the garda but then I shouldn't have to do that either. And you right about the PC world we live in, people should have there dogs taken off them if they cant abide by the law - but who ends up suffering the poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair enough points Seamus but the problem is alot of people are afraid of dogs not just me so its not just my problen and many who are not don't particularly like dogs being of leads, and there have been many surveys done and a majority of people while not afraid of dogs, don't want to be in a situation where they are approached by other peoples dogs. Also a dog is a licenced animal and you are legally obilged to have it under your control at all times.
    No arguments here, and there are many valid reasons why even a dog lover might not want a strange dog approaching them in public.

However, you're advocating more stringent laws - banning dogs from public parks? In reality, there is ample law there at present. Enforcement is the issue.

You can make laws about having all dogs on 50cm leads, wearing steel muzzles and staying 500m away from any other human being, but unless they're being enforced, people will ignore them.

My point here is that there is adequate law to deal with dogs. If a dog is causing a nuisance or is not under control, you can report it to the warden.

You say that the dog gets blamed for the actions of poor owners, but in reality you're advocating the same thing - placing unnecessary restrictions on those who are responsible because of the actions of a few who aren't.

Instead of making a beeline for those who have their dogs off leads, why not go for those whose dogs aren't under control. A dog does not have to be on a lead to be under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Also The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (SO.I. No. 442 of 1998) states
    that there are certain rules in relation to the following breeds (and
    strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:

a.. American Pit Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull
    Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Dobermann Pinscher
    b.. German Shepherd (Alsatian) , Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler ,
    Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa, Bandog
    The rules state that:
    a.. These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short
    strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    b.. These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever
    they are in a public place
    c.. These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar
    bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

Now an awful lot of dogs are strains or crosses of these breeds and are not only meant to be on a lead but are also meant to be muzzled when in a public place. The strain means just that any percentage.
    I know that last year there lot of the councils were lobbied with regard to enforcement of these laws. Some dog owners may not realise the problems they are creating for all dog owners in the future.

I shouldn't have to tell people to keep certain dogs on a lead and be muzzeled at all times . Further I shouldn't have to tell people to keep their dogs out of restricted areas and I wouldnt, I'd be to afraid.
    I should just call the garda but then I shouldn't have to do that either. And you right about the PC world we live in, people should have there dogs taken off them if they cant abide by the law - but who ends up suffering the poor dog.

You have already posted this law up already Sparkling on another reply on this thread so i think once is enough. We are aware of the law so no need to post it twice.

A dog doesnt have to be on a lead by law (unless its a restricted breed) so being under effective control does not necessarily mean on a lead.

Are you bothered by off lead dogs that are just walking along minding their own business? if so then im sorry, but that isnt justified to be saying that all dogs should be on leads because they should be under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I just wanted to point out Sparkling, that not that many dogs are strains of these breeds.

You say an awful lot are? Well neither of my two are, so legally I am allowed let them off in designated areas i.e. where there are no restriction on dogs. I don't think that point is valid, I see very few of these dogs in my area.

The point that you shouldn't have a dog unless you have enough space is silly really. I have a fairly big back garden, considering I live in Dublin, but it is still not the same as a good run in a field. Even still, it wouldn't be fair on the dog to only have the garden as an exercise space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Thankfully there are public parks where dogs can be walked off lead (St Anne's Raheny before 11am, Dodder Valley Linear Park, Marlay Park 'off lead' field to name a few I frequent in Dublin), if I had a phobia of dogs I would avoid these places. Same if I had a phobia of flying I wouldn't go on an aeroplane, but I wouldn't try and get the aviation industry closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

This is becoming nonsense. There seems to be alot of people with giant chips on their shoulders.

To be fair, the same could be said of the people who don't like dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Thankfully there are public parks where dogs can be walked off lead (St Anne's Raheny before 11am, Dodder Valley Linear Park, Marlay Park 'off lead' field to name a few I frequent in Dublin), if I had a phobia of dogs I would avoid these places. Same if I had a phobia of flying I wouldn't go on an aeroplane, but I wouldn't try and get the aviation industry closed down.

i dont think anyone here is saying that dogs should not be left off in designated spots. If I were afraid of dogs and took myself off to the local dog park for a walk then I should stop off at the doctor on the way back!

The problem occurs in public areas where people leave their dogs off for example where I live we have a great park (not dog) encorporating a playground for children. I have NEVER seen a dog on a lead in that park. Between the dog poop all over the place and the dogs running everywhere it would be very hard ofr anon dog person to bring their kids to the playground.
    Yesterday I watched a woman and her GSD off lead and not muzzled walking through town. A guy living nearby daily walk 2 GSD's unmuzzled and off lead along the one decent footpath/cycle lane we have in this area. This to me is encroaching on other peoples freedom to enjoy. This is the tip off the iceberg around this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

My dog is afraid of people....I wonder what law I should push for to ensure she feels relaxed in a public place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

What the heck has that got to do with anything. Just because we walked our Dogs in all weathers through the Winter does not take from someone elses right to walk undeterred by dogs. There is no law that people must walk everyday to has a right to walk at all.

This is becoming nonsense. There seems to be alot of people with giant chips on their shoulders.

and in the same sense their is no law that states that people who venture out a few times a year have the right to dictate to me - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

They aren't my dogs but I try to walk them when I can.

I couldn't walk them in winter much, the little one a miniture short haired jack russell couldn't because when young she nearly died from a lung infection a result of that is she still has bad breeding which gets worse the colder she gets and I wasn't able to walk much. But, on a good day when it wasn't lashing and my knee wasn't paining me(and when I could go into the house to get them) I brought Sam the bigger one for a walk.

If I'm walking them in town they are on a lead, if I'm somewhere where there is no traffic they are off the lead.

I vary where I bring them, depending on the weather and how mucky places are, so I don't see the same people too often. I've never had a problem with them. Sandy is too afraid to go near people or other dogs and Sam only interacts with people that do something to start that interaction.

I don't remember anyone giving me dirty looks because of the dogs but then again I wouldn't notice because I really don't care what people, that I don't even know think.

I don't know what the big deal is, it just seems stupid to get worked up over people giving you dirty looks or because of people out walking dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Live and let live and accept others peoples feelings.
    Just because we have to walk our dogs all year round I really think it's arrogant to dismiss people who are now out enjoying the return of decent weather.:mad:
    Oh don't get me wrong i'm thrilled people are getting out and enjoying the nice weather - it's every bit their right to do that! In paticular it's nice to have more people around when it's getting dark as it feels a bit more secure.
    However - you said above that it's arrogant of us to dismiss people out enjoying the weather. All i'm doing is walking my dog .. on a lead... pulling him into me when there are big groups of people and still getting dirty looks and snide comments in passing sometimes (obviously not everyone is like this it's just a random few) just because i'm out walking with my dog. Surely other people shouldn't be hindering me to enjoy my walk in return right when i'm not actually bothering them? ;)
    star-pants wrote: »
    We were out in the snow too (I also fell on my backside).
    lol happened me too!

What the heck has that got to do with anything. Just because we walked our Dogs in all weathers through the Winter does not take from someone elses right to walk undeterred by dogs. There is no law that people must walk everyday to has a right to walk at all.

I agree with Paul - of course others have a right to walk wherever and whenever they want but so do the people out all year and I think whether on your own or with a dog no one should try to make you feel bad about getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This thread proves one thing only ...idiots come in two versions ...with and without dogs :D

(and so do the nice people)

Advertisement