Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Me Tab Out Oh! Sweet Nuthin'?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Ehhh...please...?

Ok so this is one of my favourite songs of all time, including one of my favourite solo's/lead work of all time. I've scoured the internet on and off for god knows how long but there's no tab out there to be found. So I'm going to have a shot at working it out myself. Now I don't expect anyone here to just tab it out for me (unless they want to be the coolest person ever, WHICH THEY WOULD BE IF THEY DID!). But I've never tried to work a song out by ear before, at least never successfully, and I don't really have a clue where to start.

So if anyone has some time to kill could they just point me in the right direction or something. Give me a key and a scale, or maybe work out a small 10 second section that I could then build from myself? Hell even tell me what fret a particular note is on so at least I have my hand at the right part of the fretboard. Or just hints in general for trying to work out how to play a song?

I'm pretty sure the chord progression goes C Bb F.

Couldn't find a youtube video of the song but you can hear it here.

http://www.we7.com/#/track/Oh-Sweet-Nuthin!trackId=3999112

EDIT: I'm gonna have some attempt at something worked out over the weekend and should have something on paper by Monday, will post again then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sounds like a regular pentatonic scale in C. That's a popular scale so learn if you can.

http://jguitar.com/scale?root=C&scale=Major+Pentatonic

That guitar seems to be using the scale at the... erm.. I dunno what position it is, but it's where you keep your index finger around fret 5 and do a nice bit of bending on the G string at the 7th fret. Then to get it more bluesy you can move it up 3 frets to the 8th fret and use the minor pentatonic to get a nice, yet clicheed break.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

strobe wrote: »
    I've scoured the internet on and off for god knows how long but there's no tab out there to be found....

Great scouring....

http://www.chordie.com/allsongs.php/songtitle/Oh+Sweet+Nuthin/songartist/Velvet+Underground/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hoagy wrote: »

Had the chords already, posted them in the OP. That intro's wrong, it's posted everywhere in exactly the same format. When it's wrong once and is copy pasted over and over again it doesn't make it any more right. I have the intro worked out I think. Thanks for the slightly sarcastic help though....

Gordon wrote: »
    Sounds like a regular pentatonic scale in C. That's a popular scale so learn if you can.

http://jguitar.com/scale?root=C&scale=Major+Pentatonic

That guitar seems to be using the scale at the... erm.. I dunno what position it is, but it's where you keep your index finger around fret 5 and do a nice bit of bending on the G string at the 7th fret. Then to get it more bluesy you can move it up 3 frets to the 8th fret and use the minor pentatonic to get a nice, yet clicheed break.

Cheers Gordon, I know how to play the scale, I just have a bit of trouble identifying which is which when listening to them. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm afraid I can't really help with the tab (primarily a bassist) but you have excellent taste. It's my favourite VU song and definitely one of the best solos ever. Good luck!

Well I guess I'll put up what I have so far (man this tabbing stuff is hard). Sounds right to me but that doesn't mean much. If anyone has any corrections or anything let us know.

Legend: br=bend/release. ~=vibrato. 5/9=slide from 5 to 9. 5h7p5= 5, hammer on 7, pulloff 5.
    {Anywhere I have double stop 5's, that might just be a single 5, but a C chord(?) usually plays at the same time so I can't tell}.

Intro:
    e
    B
    G--5~---7br-p5---5~.
    5--7-7br-p5---5~---.--5h7--5.
    D
    7----.--5-7
    A
    E

e
    B
    8----8
    .-8br--5
    G--5~--5/9-9---9--7--7~-.
    7-5~--.--5h7--5--5~--.-7b-7-5
    5~
    D--5~
    7-5-5~
    A
    E

Licks Played During Verses/Chorus:
    e
    .(ect.. They are just variations
    B
    .of the phrases played in the
    G--7br-p5
    .--7br-p5----5---5-.intro. No need to tab them out,
    D
    7-5-7-5--.
    7---7---.probably best to just improv.
    A
    .your own. But I will tab them out if
    E
    .I get the rest of the song done).

First Solo (3.03ish into the song)
    e
    B
    G--7br-5~-.--7brbr-p5---5~-.--7brb-p5----5--7br-5~-.-7br-p5---5h7p5---5
    D
    7--7
    7-5
    A
    E

e
    .--???
    B
    8---8/10--8*-.--???
    G--7/9--9
    .---???
    D
    .--???
    A
    .--???
    E
    .--???

That's all so far...at 3:15ish of the song, the last bit tabbed there, its starts playing higher pitched notes, so I'm presuming that's what Gordon was talking about it moving to C Pent minor with your index on the 8th fret? But I haven't been able to get the next little part to sound right so I'm kinda stumped for the minute. Will give it another shot tomorow but in the mean time if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Cheers. (I hope the tab comes out in the right format)

Edit: The last little bar I tabbed was miles wrong so I've changed that, should be right now.

Advertisement