Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For those of you who had forgotten about C.Ronaldo

• 15-04-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

He now with a goal ratio of .89 (25 goals/28 apps) is ahead of Lionel Messi, who has a ratio of .88(40/45).
    Now obviously such a tight margin and the larger amount of appearances give Messi the nod, and its safe to say, at this moment in time, he is the greatest player in the world.
    But its interesting how Ronaldo has been dismissed by many in recent weeks, yet stats show his strike rate has been incredible, and who knows what might have happened had he not suffered an early season injury?
    In my opinion, he'll win a another World Player of the Year title in the next few years.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Messi is still superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

x PyRo wrote: »
    Messi is still superior.

Yes indeed, no doubt, at the moment, hes the best. But catching the world watching you score 4 goals helps, when half that world, naive football fans, would not have recognized that Arsenals defense was shambolic, or that Ronaldo did similar damage to it the year before in the same Competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

only1stevo wrote: »
    He now with a goal ratio of .89 (25 goals/28 apps) is ahead of Lionel Messi, who has a ratio of .88(40/45).
    Now obviously such a tight margin and the larger amount of appearances give Messi the nod, and its safe to say, at this moment in time, he is the greatest player in the world.
    But its interesting how Ronaldo has been dismissed by many in recent weeks, yet stats show his strike rate has been incredible, and who knows what might have happened had he not suffered an early season injury?
    In my opinion, he'll win a another World Player of the Year title in the next few years.

When did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lets get things straight before this thread gets stupid:

Messi >>>>Rooney>>>>Ronaldo.

/thread.

Would also like to say I've thought this for the last 2 seasons.

When did this happen?

See post-El Classico reports, opinion pieces, threads

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »

/thread.

And will it stay this way for the next decade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Shortly it will be everdead.ie>>>>>messi>>>>Rooney>>>>>Ronaldo*

*Thanks Fifa ten

F*ck knows.

F*ck knows.

Well that was kinda the question proposed at the end of my OP..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rooney better than Ronaldo?

Dont make me get sick into my own scorn.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    Rooney better than Ronaldo?

Dont make me get sick into my own scorn.

If you offered me a straight swap I'd unhesitatingly take Rooney every single time. Have always thought that tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

/thread.

rooney,,, all sky sports hype,,,how is he in top three,,Coz he score a few goals with his head? he does nothing exciting on the ball,no flare, great player gets he's goals,that's it,, hes a striker hes going his job, hes playing in a more direct position this season hence more goals, never show boats, never gets u off your seat,,except when ball hits net,,
    people are off there seat when messi has the ball,, let alone score, same with ronaldo,,
    tevez has more flare than rooney, and the goals too,
    so i'd put him ahead of rooney,, not to mention torres,,he's equally the player rooney is, where was rooney last 3 years?
    have to be doing it season in season out,, not a flash in the pan,

argosy2006 wrote: »
    rooney,,, all sky sports hype,,,how is he in top three,,Coz he score a few goals with his head? he does nothing exciting on the ball,no flare, great player gets he's goals,that's it,, hes a striker hes going his job, hes playing in a more direct position this season hence more goals, never show boats, never gets u off your seat,,except when ball hits net,,
    people are off there seat when messi has the ball,, let alone score, same with ronaldo,,
    so i'd put him ahead of rooney,, not to mention torres,,he's equally the player rooney is, where was rooney last 3 years?
    have to be doing it season in season out,, not a flash in pan,

Laughable post tbh.

What the f*ck does "showboating" have to do with being a world class
    player?

Also what is "flare.":pac:

If you offered me a straight swap I'd unhesitatingly take Rooney every single time. Have always thought that tbh.

And I can understand why. Both players have their own merits, I just love Ronaldo. Even if Rooney is the better all round player, I'll never admit it. I've just never gotten the same satisfaction from watching a player at the top of their game while Ive been able to appreciate football than I did with Ronaldo. post-traumatic-stress from him going to Madrid is making me refuse to acknowledge Rooney's talent! I know Ronaldo has a large fanboy following, but screw it, Im proud to be king of the fanboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ronaldos league matches to goals ratio is same as torres and torres has scored the same number of goals with half the amount of shots (no frees or penalties either) and nobody is comparing torres to messi

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ronaldos league matches to goals ratio is same as torres and torres has scored the same number of goals with half the amount of shots (no frees or penalties either) and nobody is comparing torres to messi

Fair point,dont really think the shot stat is valid though, he's the more lethal finisher alright but John O'Shea once had a 100 percent goals to shot season.. just think its important to remember that Messis no far away from Ronaldo than he is close to Maradona or Pele.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

We're 17 posts in and it's already a copy of the Messi verses Rooney thread...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't get this post at all. Messi has the better La Liga record - 25 in 27 (1.08) over Ronaldo - 17 in 20 (1.18) and is also likely going to be the top scorer in the Champions League.

Also while Messi inspired his team to victory in the Champions League knock-out stages, Ronaldo threw a strop and tried to do it all on his own against Lyon - and failed. Messi also inspired Barca to victory in the Classico. Messi will likely beat Ronaldo convincingly on the medals front too.

Having said that, how about Luis Suarez of Ajax - 33 goals in 31 league games. (0.9 ratio)

Surely Suarez > Messi ;)

PS the idea Rooney is a "flash in the pan" is indeed laughable. He has been a great player for years, only this season he is the focal point instead of Ronaldo. I too would take Rooney over Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

He's 25 and has matured physically, skill wise is open to debate,but he hasn't made much progress regarding mental maturity.Still lacking as a team player and doesn't seem to possess that mental staying power that is required when under extreme pressure.I would rate him behind Messi,Xavi and Iniesta in such areas.

Don't get this post at all. Messi has the better La Liga record - 25 in 27 (1.08) over Ronaldo - 17 in 20 (1.18) and is also likely going to be the top scorer in the Champions League.

Also while Messi inspired his team to victory in the Champions League knock-out stages, Ronaldo threw a strop and tried to do it all on his own against Lyon - and failed. Messi also inspired Barca to victory in the Classico. Messi will likely beat Ronaldo convincingly on the medals front too.

Having said that, how about Luis Suarez of Ajax - 33 goals in 31 league games. (0.9 ratio)

Surely Suarez > Messi ;)

PS the idea Rooney is a "flash in the pan" is indeed laughable. He has been a great player for years, only this season he is the focal point instead of Ronaldo. I too would take Rooney over Ronaldo.

I see your well-presented, reasonable and sound logic argument, and raise you one silly Ronaldo floating head.

34fjrk0.png

Thus, on the basis of this evidence, Ronaldo is clearly the better footballer.

The chewbacca defence ladies and gentlemen. Never fails.

• Advertisement

Laughable post tbh.

What the f*ck does "showboating" have to do with being a world class
    player?

Also what is "flare.":pac:

sorry,, FLAIR,,, having go at me for a typo?
    what is flair>
    flair is distinctive elegance or style,, rooney is a rugged cave man,,no grace on the ball
    but don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player,
    But he's no Best, pele, messi, ronaldo or a maradona ,, trust me no one will be knocking on man u's door for rooney, he'll be there for life, and will be a great servant to the club,,people will be knocking on door for torres,,but why? rooney has way for goals? and is best in world/? :D

what is flair>
    flair is distinctive elegance or style,, rooney is a rugged cave man,,no grace on the ball
    But he's no Best, pele, messi, ronaldo or a maradona ,, trust me no one will be knocking on man u's door for rooney, he'll be there for life, and will be a great servant to the club,,people will be knocking on door for torres,,but why? rooney has way for goals? and is best in world/? :D

You're so wrong that you've exceeded mathematical restrictions. Congratulations, your post is 110% retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

off topic a little bit, but whats with the double commas and forward slashes and brackets?

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Messi >>>>> Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>> Rooney

what is flair>

Ric_Flair_-_Wooooo.jpg

You don't make the same typo repeatedly.;)

You're posts otherwise aren't worth reasoning with, though "rugged caveman" came me a chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Luis Suarez of Ajax - 33 goals in 31 league games. (0.9 ratio)
    Something wrong there.

And I also laugh at the idea that Rooney is a flash in the pan or hasn't been doing it until this season and at argosy's post in general.

You don't make the same typo repeatedly.;)

You're posts otherwise aren't worth reasoning with, though "rugged caveman" came me a chuckle.

You hate to see it happen. You really do. :D

Anyone remember before the Champions League final last year they had Redknapp and Gray compare Messi and Ronaldo? Here's how they scored it then:

Messi vs Ronaldo

Shooting 10 10
    Skill 10 10
    Assists 9 9
    X - Factor 10 10

Their score: 39 vs 39

So left it all square but they then talked about Ronaldo being better at free-kicks and headers (the latter ironic in retrospect eh?) and basically gave the edge to Ronaldo.

How about we do it now but add in teamwork which I think is important to the debate. I personally would say:

Messi vs Ronaldo

Shooting 10 10
    Skill 10 9
    Assists 10 9
    X - Factor 10 10
    Teamwork 10 8

My scoring: 50 vs 46

And for the hell of it:

Messi vs Rooney

Shooting 10 10
    Skill 10 8
    Assists 10 10
    X - Factor 10 9
    Teamwork 10 10

My scoring: 50 vs 47

Anyone else want to give it a try? :cool:

You're so wrong that you've exceeded mathematical restrictions. Congratulations, your post is 110% retarded.
    great comeback, did u get help with it,Don't you ever make no mistake
    Baby I've got what it takes, and there's no way you'll ever get to me
    why can't you see that you'll never ever hurt me cause I wont let it be, see I'm too much for you,You can't believe it!, you can't conceive it
    and you can't touch me, 'cause I'm untouchable !!!!!!!!
    and I know you hate it, and you can't take it
    You'll never break me, 'cause I'm unbreakable !!!!!!!

:eek:

• Advertisement

x PyRo wrote: »
    Messi >>>>> Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>> Rooney

Messi >>>>> Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>> Rooney/Torres>>>>>>>>>>Van Persie>>>>>>>>>Drogba>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tevez>>>>>>>>>>>Villa>>>>>>>>>>Ibrahimovic>>>>>>>>>>>Diego "2 at Anfield" Forlan

night now

You hate to see it happen. You really do. :D

Was always gonna happen wasn't it?:pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What is the "x-factor"? (inb4 tv show etc) Abilty to make something from nothing?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

What is the "x-factor"? (inb4 tv show etc) Abilty to make something from nothing?

I guess so. Probably flair or something along those lines.

Probably number of youtube vids or average rating on Champ Manager or something equally relevant.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Surely Suarez > Messi ;)

And that Tevez fella has 24 in his last 22 games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

One day soon, all the three main protagonists mentioned will be fit to lace Twigg's boots..

We can all settle on this fact. :cool:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And that Tevez fella has 24 in his last 22 games.

Yeah but he does poor on the medals front though.

Yeah but he does poor on the medals front though.

Ah sure it's only one season without a medal, and even then it's only a League Cup less than Rooney ;)

dfx- wrote: »
    One day soon, all the three main protagonists mentioned will be fit to lace Twigg's boots..

We can all settle on this fact. :cool:

Oh Jayo Jayo! Ya used to be a .................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I see your well-presented, reasonable and sound logic argument, and raise you one silly Ronaldo floating head.

34fjrk0.png

Thus, on the basis of this evidence, Ronaldo is clearly the better footballer.

The chewbacca defence ladies and gentlemen. Never fails.

Johnny Cochran: Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, this does not make any sense!

Classic! :)

• Advertisement

Anyone remember before the Champions League final last year they had Redknapp and Gray compare Messi and Ronaldo? Here's how they scored it then:

Messi vs Ronaldo

Shooting 10 10
    Skill 10 10
    Assists 9 9
    X - Factor 10 10

Their score: 39 vs 39

So left it all square but they then talked about Ronaldo being better at free-kicks and headers (the latter ironic in retrospect eh?) and basically gave the edge to Ronaldo.

How about we do it now but add in teamwork which I think is important to the debate. I personally would say:

Messi vs Ronaldo

Shooting 10 10
    Skill 10 9
    Assists 10 9
    X - Factor 10 10
    Teamwork 10 8

My scoring: 50 vs 46

And for the hell of it:

Messi vs Rooney

Shooting 10 10
    Skill 10 8
    Assists 10 10
    X - Factor 10 9
    Teamwork 10 10

My scoring: 50 vs 47

Anyone else want to give it a try? :cool:

Tables can prove anything based on their content. See case in point:

category | Messi | Rooney | Ronaldo
    Finishing | 9 | 7 | 9
    Pace | 9 | 8 | 10
    1 v 1 | 10 | 8 | 10
    Passing | 8 | 9 | 6
    Dribbling | 10 | 7 | 10
    Heading | 8 | 10 | 9
    Power | 6 | 10 | 8
    Stamina | 8 | 9 | 8
    Injury Resitance | 6 | 4 | 9
    Making Grannies Cum | 1 | 9 | 3
    Midgetness | 10 | 9 | 1
    One Night Standness | 3 | 0 | 10
    Cute in a "Oh you'd bring him home to your parents" sort of way | 8 | 4 | 6
    Slept with Paris Hilton-ness | 0 | 0 | 10
    Scored against Fulham-ness | 0 | 10 | 10
    Friends with Xavi-ness | 10 | 0 | 3
    Potential acting career after football | 3 | 3 | 8
    Potetial pornstar career after football | 7 (midget porn niche) | 4 | 6 (ask Paris)
    Scruffiness | 3 | 10 | 0
    Starred in Wayne Rooney Street Striker-ness | 0 | 10 | 0
    Has a funny floating head pic (see previous page) | 0 | 0 | 10
    Has that homo-erotic "rugged caveman" appeal (ask argosy2006) | 0 | 10 | 0

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah sure it's only one season without a medal, and even then it's only a League Cup less than Rooney ;)

Yeah but this weekend he will be reminded of what he's missing when United brush aside City. ;)

Yeah but this weekend he will be reminded of what he's missing when United brush aside City. ;)

Bookmarked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

great comeback, did u get help with it,Don't you ever make no mistake
    Baby I've got what it takes, and there's no way you'll ever get to me
    why can't you see that you'll never ever hurt me cause I wont let it be, see I'm too much for you,You can't believe it!, you can't conceive it
    and you can't touch me, 'cause I'm untouchable !!!!!!!!
    and I know you hate it, and you can't take it
    You'll never break me, 'cause I'm unbreakable !!!!!!!

:eek:

This post is pure chocolate awesome to be fair! You're all win baby, good job! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

There will never be a clear, definitive answer upon the topic of who the best footballer in the world is. People will have their opinion of who it is and in their own mind, that player will be the best in the world.

The players of the moment are the following (possibly being too generous to some and possibly sinfully omitting some through error, but how and ever):

-Lionel Messi (fairly obviously)
    -Cristiano Ronaldo (always a class act who has been overshadowed a little bit lately, but still top class)
    -Xavi Hernandéz (best pass of the ball in the world? quite possibly)
    -Kaká (like Ronaldo, always a class act)
    -Sergio Busquets (has turned ''The Makelele Position'' into ''The Busquets Position''. probably the best holding midfielder in the world at the moment (with Essien injured;)))
    -Wayne Rooney (hard as nails but incredibly gifted on the ball and with a sublime shot; arugably the best in England at the moment)
    -Didier Drogba (Chelsea's Dark Destroyer; both scorer and creator, very like Rooney. sinful diver is his main flaw)
    -Fernando Torres (utterly brilliant target man, strong, excellent on the ball. Rooney, Drogba and Torres... very little to serperate them, tbh)
    -Florent Malouda (having the season of his life thusfar, but his past inconsistency will let him down)
    -Arjen Robben (like Malouda, having one of the best patches of form he has ever had (his 11 goals in 20 league games for Bayern is a great return))
    -Lúcio (one of the best defenders on the planet at the moment; his performances against Chelsea alone were top notch)
    -Maicon (flying down the right wing, a beauty to behold and a natural successor and heir to Cafu's throne as Brazillian right back)

I'm sure I've missed so many, but it's 2:40am and these are all I can think of at the moment!

But this will be an endless debate, and all that will happen is there will be more insults thrown around and eventually a mod will lock her down... But sure how and ever.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

have to be doing it season in season out,, not a flash in the pan,
    I concur. Rooney excellent striker no doubt but as all-round playing ability, Messi and Ronaldo are better every time. You could put Ronaldo anywhere on the pitch and he'll score goals. Rooney will invariably only score when he's playing centre-forward. Stick him on the wing and he offers little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

When you're having to bring in statistics, you know your on a losing argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

grenache wrote: »
    I concur. Rooney excellent striker no doubt but as all-round playing ability, Messi and Ronaldo are better every time. You could put Ronaldo anywhere on the pitch and he'll score goals. Rooney will invariably only score when he's playing centre-forward. Stick him on the wing and he offers little.

There is more to being a great player than goals. When Rooney played wide, he was immense in covering up Ronaldo's lack of work and helping the fullback. With Ronaldo United had to move him up front against Barcelona because they knew his minimal effort on the wing would leave them vulnerable. Ronaldo also shoots too much from impossible angles, regularly missing and then has a hissy fit. His lack of maturity and poor workrate are major negatives. Whilst his scoring record is awesome and puts in the very tp bracket, he has serious flaws.

Similarly Rooney has a few flaws of his own when compared to Messi and Xavi. He may have a good touch for an Englishman, but the Barcelona team put him to shame when it comes to comfort on the ball.

Messi of course does not have these problems and is comfortably better that either Rooney or Ronaldo. Plus I'd have Xavi ahead of Ronaldo and Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

....in the Champions League.

Now, this is just wrong, you either have a selective memory or just made up what happened based on the final score. It was Higuain who had the opportunities to put real through, and he missed them, Ronaldo was not happy because he could've been played in for a certain goal, that was missed by Higuain.
    He's 25 and has matured physically, skill wise is open to debate,but he hasn't made much progress regarding mental maturity.Still lacking as a team player and doesn't seem to possess that mental staying power that is required when under extreme pressure.I would rate him behind Messi,Xavi and Iniesta in such areas.

See: Diving header v Aston Villa last season, 40 yard goal v Porto. Both at times when no one else looked like scoring, both crucial matches, how much more pressure do you require?

God damn it!!!!!!
    Now they're gonna win.:mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This is funny.

For me Messi is the better player because of his attitude and how he carries himself on the pitch. Messi is a team player, something you could never accuse CR9 of being. Lets just look at the Clasico for example

Barcas goal. Messi got cut in half by Sergio Ramos. What did he do? He got up, played the ball quickly, ended up scoring. Had that been CR9, would that have happened, or would he have rolled around the ground feigning injury like a bitch in the hopes someone would get booked?

At another stage, CR9 decided to take on the whole Barca defense on hos own, and ended up throwing a reckless challenge at Maxwell which he should have been booked for. Would you have seen Messi do this? Despite him looking like the only half arsed Real player he never looked even slightly dangerous.

Lets go away from that. What about the game where CR9 would not celebrate a goal which came from a rebound of his penalty miss? Thats a good team player.

If CR9 could take some team lessons from the likes of Messi and realised that the universe does not revolve around him, he would be a far far better player. As it is, if he continues in his current attitude, I reckon his best years are behind him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement