Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For those of you who had forgotten about C.Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

gimmick wrote: »
    At another stage, CR9 decided to take on the whole Barca defense on hos own, and ended up throwing a reckless challenge at Maxwell which he should have been booked for. Would you have seen Messi do this? Despite him looking like the only half arsed Real player he never looked even slightly dangerous.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

someone may have said this, but im sure Sid Lowe said Real score more goals without Ronaldo than they do with him, which is fairly damning imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For me I think it's just great United nurtured 2 of the best players on the planet.

It's an impossible question to answer, who is the best? I have no doubt if you replace either Ronaldo or Rooney in that Barca side they would have similar levels of personal and team success.

The one question I can answer though. If it was a choice between all 3, I'd pick Rooney. His desire and work rate alone push him over the edge for me.

3 fantasic players, 3 different styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Whats most amusing of all is how touchy the Man U fans get when one of their own (ill call CR9 on of their own given how long he was there) is no longer the bestest player that ever there was.

Oh and well done PJS, you found one incident.

Whats most amusing of all is how touchy the Man U fans get when one of their own (ill call CR9 on of their own given how long he was there) is no longer the bestest player that ever there was.

I think you have that arsé over tit.

What is amusing is the fact that Ronadlo once played for United and by that fact alone is dismissed and demonised by a certain group of posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yes.

Where's the reckless challenge?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Cristiano is a fantastic player easily in the top 3 players in the world at his best he is unstoppable. I still think he needs to curb his selfish nature to be the best however

Boggles wrote: »
    I think you have that arsé over tit.

What is amusing is the fact that Ronadlo once played for United and by that fact alone is dismissed and demonised by a certain group of posters.

What? Sure thats siege mentality nonsense.

Please point out where CR9 has been dismissed by anyone? I do not think anyone doubts his talents.

He might be demonised, but those are for the correct reasons.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Where's the reckless challenge?:confused:

Sorry, my mistake, headbutting isn't counted as a tackle.:rolleyes:

It's quite funny to see the outrage caused by saying anything that could be construed as bad about Messi.:o

On another note, about Messi getting straight back up after tackles, the bad tackles on Ronaldo seem to consistently draw blood, and are a lot more cynical than the ones on Messi, yet you see them constantly laughed off, presumably because he winked, once. How often do you see Messi with blood streaming down his leg, cos it seems to happen Ronaldo almost every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

It's quite funny to see the outrage caused by saying anything that could be construed as bad about Messi.:o

On another note, about Messi getting straight back up after tackles, the bad tackles on Ronaldo seem to consistently draw blood, and are a lot more cynical than the ones on Messi, yet you see them constantly laughed off, presumably because he winked, once. How often do you see Messi with blood streaming down his leg, cos it seems to happen Ronaldo almost every game.

That's 'cos he's a "soft" lad:D

Maybe CR9 has brittle skin :D

He might be demonised, but those are for the correct reasons.

Because you dislike United?

It's a reason, don't know how correct it is though.

No, a reckless challenge is endangering someone.

Messi shoving his head off Srna, not really a headbutt at all to be honest, isn't putting anyone in danger. It's called handbags.

LMAO @ that final paragraph. Yes, Cristiano is constantly walking around with red blood stained socks from his gaping wounds. A slight breeze knocks him over, do me a favour...

It has nothing to do with Man U. Nothing. He could play for anyone and I would think the same. You are the one who keeps bringing it back to Man U.

TBH, I would have prefered he stayed there, rather than go to Madrid. I do not like him due to his diving, his selfishness, his constant whinging etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Lets say what so many people think. If the two of these guys stayed at this level for the rest of their career and didn't progress Messi would always be the better player. Why?

Because he is likable. Ronaldo is arrogant, self serving and a whinger. Messi conducts himself with dignity and people warm to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I dont think anyone has forgotten about C. Ronaldo. He is an exceptional player and would be considered the second best player in the world at this time.

iregk wrote: »
    Lets say what so many people think. If the two of these guys stayed at this level for the rest of their career and didn't progress Messi would always be the better player. Why?

Because he is likable. Ronaldo is arrogant, self serving and a whinger. Messi conducts himself with dignity and people warm to it.

You can have all the stats you like, Messi for anyone who is a football person, will be the best player.

He's unassuming, hugely talented, honest. All that aside, he's a player I watch and I believe has that other world skill. Like when I watched Ronaldinho, Ronaldo etc... Just when they look unstoppable and it isn't fancy nonsense tricks, it's almost always devastating.

iregk wrote: »

See this is whats wrong with the debate. Messi the model pro and plays with dignity. Well sorry to burst the bubble but he isn't. There is footage that I'm not going to drag up of him spitting on a player last season, there is no diginity in that.

Personally I couldn't give 2 fúcks if Messi sacrifices Bunnies during a match or Ronaldo has a constant wink or Rooney rides the entire collection of Nolan sisters.

Shíté like "Ronaldo didn't celebrate when he missed a peno" is bollix and moronic and puts a "Womans Own" spin on things.

I'm a fan of a sport that pulls kids of school makes them millionaires and allows millions of people worship them.

If you can't grasp the hypocrisy of giving out about them not been model citizens then there really isn't much hope.

Debate the players on what they actually predominately do and leave the PMS ****é to the ladies lounge.

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Why when Cristiano is involved is it always polemic ?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    See this is whats wrong with the debate. Messi the model pro and plays with dignity. Well sorry to burst the bubble but he isn't. There is footage that I'm not going to drag up of him spitting on a player last season, there is no diginity in that.

Personally I couldn't give 2 fúcks if Messi sacrifices Bunnies during a match or Ronaldo has a constant wink or Rooney rides the entire collection of Nolan sisters.

Shíté like "Ronaldo didn't celebrate when he missed a peno" is bollix and moronic and puts a "Womans Own" spin on things.

I'm a fan of a sport that pulls kids of school makes them millionaires and allows millions of people worship them.

If you can't grasp the hypocrisy of giving out about them not been model citizens then there really isn't much hope.

Debate the players on what they actually predominately do and leave the PMS ****é to the ladies lounge.

Any chance you could cool it with all this PMS talk and woman's own cr*p!!!!
    It's really starting to annoy me and tbh find it a tad insulting!!!
    Cheers:)

Some people just don't like Ronaldo and favour Messi over him, deal with it!!!

Actually, no, change of mind......
    Having a bad dose of PMS.....obviously didn't know what I was on about for a minute there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Don't worry you get used to Boggles after a while fluffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Teamwork at 10 for Messi is ridiculous, he only adds to the attacking side of the team, as far as Teamwork goes that's the one thing Rooney definitely has over the others...

Messi is better than Ronaldo currently, but Ronaldo's season has been hampered by injury so it's impossible to say how much better Real Madrid would have done with him, or how many more goals he'd have gotten.

He's becoming more likable too, when asked about Messi he said he was unreal and that Barcelona were brilliant to watch... that was the most humble he's ever been.

Rooney is also top notch, works for the team gets his goals, United are pathetic without him (sad United fan here)

Those three deserve to be in the top bracket...

The likes of Xavi, Villa, Drogba and Torres are a little lower down the pecking order, though in my opinion it is Xavi not Messi who Barca can't do without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Messi vs Ronaldo

Shooting 10 10
    Skill 10 9
    Assists 10 9
    X - Factor 10 10
    Teamwork 10 8

For what may i ask did you deduct a point from ronaldo's skill score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Yes.

I could never watch a full game with that commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Messi's just too tiny to be a scumbag...

Messi's just too tiny to be a scumbag...
    27738.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Another fcukin stupid thread

Messi is God - once in a gerneration player

Ronaldo is but a disciple

Thats the best way I can put it

To even compare these two anymore is delusional

27738.gif

Oi, what's your point and remember I'm a female incapable of irrational thought process at particular times:D

Back to topic,
    Messi = great
    Ronaldo = great but quite the moanbag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

that guy who cost 80 million quid is really good at football? no way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Now, this is just wrong, you either have a selective memory or just made up what happened based on the final score. It was Higuain who had the opportunities to put real through, and he missed them, Ronaldo was not happy because he could've been played in for a certain goal, that was missed by Higuain.
    That is bollox. Did you read that in Marca or something? The chance that you're talking about that Higuain missed was a reasonable one but it wasn't a certain goal if he had played ronaldo in. And Ronaldo's strop when Higuain didn't pass him the ball was indefensibly childish. To try and blame the loss on Higuain is absurd. It wasn't Ronaldo's fault either but he did act like a total knob during the game which hardly helped the team.

Pro. F wrote: »
    That is bollox. Did you read that in Marca or something? The chance that you're talking about that Higuain missed was a reasonable one but it wasn't a certain goal if he had played ronaldo in. And Ronaldo's strop when Higuain didn't pass him the ball was indefensibly childish. To try and blame the loss on Higuain is absurd. It wasn't Ronaldo's fault either but he did act like a total knob during the game which hardly helped the team.

:rolleyes:
    I wasn't saying it was either's fault, just replying to someone saying Ronaldo tried to win the game single handedly. This was not the case. If you were gonna say that about anyone on the team it'd be Higuain that night, and only for those one or two chances he could've passed. Ronaldo in the same positions probably wouldn't have passed, but then again, he probably would've scored them too.

:rolleyes:
    I wasn't saying it was either's fault, just replying to someone saying Ronaldo tried to win the game single handedly. This was not the case. If you were gonna say that about anyone on the team it'd be Higuain that night, and only for those one or two chances he could've passed. Ronaldo in the same positions probably wouldn't have passed, but then again, he probably would've scored them too.

Well how about just saying Ronaldo didn't try to win the game single handed then? Because in no way did Higuain try it either.

Well how about just saying Ronaldo didn't try to win the game single handed then? Because in no way did Higuain try it either.

From 1.30 on, how can you say he shouldn't have passed to Ronaldo? Any striker of his quality should be finishing the chance before that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

redout wrote: »
    Another fcukin stupid thread

Messi is God - once in a gerneration player

Ronaldo is but a disciple

Thats the best way I can put it

To even compare these two anymore is delusional

I agree with this. Comparing two different types of players is silly.

I don't even know what arguing about these achieves tbh, pointless circular "discussion", with neither side ver backing down!

I agree with this. Comparing two different types of players is silly.

I don't even know what arguing about these achieves tbh, pointless circular "discussion", with neither side ver backing down!

You know, you're right. It's not worth arguing about.
    I think that Ronaldo is Messi's equal, no amount of whining about how petulant, or arrogant or any made up words will change my mind. There's a Messi appreciation thread for those who want to say how good they think Messi is.
    Back to what the first post was getting at;

:D

From 1.30 on, how can you say he shouldn't have passed to Ronaldo? Any striker of his quality should be finishing the chance before that too.

I can't watch the video now (i'm on my phone) i'll look at it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

only1stevo wrote: »
    For those of you who had forgotten about C.Ronaldo

Nobody's forgotten about him, we just prefer Messi!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Teamwork at 10 for Messi is ridiculous, he only adds to the attacking side of the team, as far as Teamwork goes that's the one thing Rooney definitely has over the others...

Messi is better than Ronaldo currently, but Ronaldo's season has been hampered by injury so it's impossible to say how much better Real Madrid would have done with him, or how many more goals he'd have gotten.

He's becoming more likable too, when asked about Messi he said he was unreal and that Barcelona were brilliant to watch... that was the most humble he's ever been.

Rooney is also top notch, works for the team gets his goals, United are pathetic without him (sad United fan here)

Those three deserve to be in the top bracket...

The likes of Xavi, Villa, Drogba and Torres are a little lower down the pecking order, though in my opinion it is Xavi not Messi who Barca can't do without.

I'd actually put Xavi ahead of Ronaldo & Rooney at the moment.

Xavi is the most intelligent player I have ever seen play football. You'd leran more about football from watching Xavi play than you would Messi or Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Messi's better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

argosy2006 wrote: »
    rooney,,, all sky sports hype,,,how is he in top three,,Coz he score a few goals with his head? he does nothing exciting on the ball,no flare, great player gets he's goals,that's it,, hes a striker hes going his job, hes playing in a more direct position this season hence more goals, never show boats, never gets u off your seat,,except when ball hits net,,
    people are off there seat when messi has the ball,, let alone score, same with ronaldo,,
    tevez has more flare than rooney, and the goals too,
    so i'd put him ahead of rooney,, not to mention torres,,he's equally the player rooney is, where was rooney last 3 years?
    have to be doing it season in season out,, not a flash in the pan,

Complete nonsense.
    Rooney is one of the few players that would fit seamlessly into Barca's team.
    I think Ronaldo is a better player, but he's not a good fit with Barca.
    Tevez would just about make Barca's bench.
    Look at how someone as talented as Henry struggled with horizontal football.

Rooney is one of the most intelligent players around, but I suppose subtle and intelligent play goes over the heads of most fans.

''where was rooney last 3 years?''

I think he was busy collecting a shedload of medals, maybe you missed it.

tdv123 wrote: »

Xavi is the most intelligent player I have ever seen play football. You'd leran more about football from watching Xavi play than you would Messi or Ronaldo.

Not sure I agree with that.
    40% of Messi's work is done off the ball, he completely wrecks other teams with his reading of the game.
    Xavi's position on the field makes him more noticeable as a lot of the play goes through him.
    But I think Messi and Rooney are his equal in terms of intelligence.

He's unassuming, hugely talented, honest.

Messi is the best in the world by a distance, but there's no need to make things up. He's not a saint, he's well capable of the odd bit of cheating, like nearly all players.

Right, I've seen the video now - not that it makes any difference because it's just like I remembered it, but I wanted to check.

I never said Higuain shouldn't have passed it so I don't know where you're getting that from. It was reasonable of him to take the shot on at that point. Sure, it would have been better to pass it but it's not like he made a horrendous decision. If you think that it's Higuain's fault that Madrid didn't go through then you're just not very sensible tbh.

Right, I've seen the video now - not that it makes any difference because it's just like I remembered it, but I wanted to check.

I never said Higuain shouldn't have passed it so I don't know where you're getting that from. It was reasonable of him to take the shot on at that point. Sure, it would have been better to pass it but it's not like he made a horrendous decision. If you think that it's Higuain's fault that Madrid didn't go through then you're just not very sensible tbh.

I'm not blaming him for it, or Ronaldo. There's no point continuing this, cos I don't think we're even arguing about the same thing.

Let's just leave it at : Higuain and Ronaldo are good players.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Another Goal from Cristiano tonight.

One thing i'm noticing is the tendencies of mainly non-united fans bringing up the personality issue.
    Messis a lovable character on the pitch, while most think Ronaldo is not, but its neither here nor there. Granted, its very hard to ignore personalities on the pitch but it should not take away from the fact(my opinion ;)) that Messi is no further away from Ronaldo than he is close to Pele or Maradona.

#15 wrote: »
    Messi is the best in the world by a distance, but there's no need to make things up. He's not a saint, he's well capable of the odd bit of cheating, like nearly all players.

Never said he was a saint. What did I make up exactly? Where has he cheated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Messi is the better all round player, imo.
    But the arse-licking that is going on in this thread is vomit enducing, tbh. Yes, he's the best in the world but he isn't the God Almighty that most on here are making him about to be, neither is Ronaldo the king of all that is evil, which is what a lot of ABUs are incinuating. Being totally honest I've seen Messi actually dive more times than Ronaldo. I've seen Ronaldo dive a couple of times, but most of his 'diving' is going down with a small bit of contact, which is fúcking annoying but it's not as bad as wholly diving, tbf. Messi does get up and get on with it a lot of the time after a hard tackle, whereas Ronaldo sits there and whines most of the time, everyone knows that. By the way people go on about his whinging you'd swear he was the leader of the Taliban or something, get over it. Also, Ronaldo had Paris Hilton which does make him slightly a legend.

Messi is better than Ronaldo, but not by as much as people say he is. This thread is full of ABUs licking Messi's hole and condemning Ronaldo, I'm not going to name names but there is one in particular who I've called up on ABUing before.

I love a good rant.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Where has he cheated?

only1stevo wrote: »
    Another Goal from Cristiano tonight.

One thing i'm noticing is the tendencies of mainly non-united fans bringing up the personality issue.
    Messis a lovable character on the pitch, while most think Ronaldo is not, but its neither here nor there. Granted, its very hard to ignore personalities on the pitch but it should not take away from the fact(my opinion ;)) that Messi is no further away from Ronaldo than he is close to Pele or Maradona.

Indeed.

Personality inferences a footballer however. C.Ronaldo often goes to ground and expects a free, all goes hand in hand with an arrogant personality. Apart from that I don't think he has the natural talent of Messi, better athlete though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement