Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For those of you who had forgotten about C.Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Archimedes wrote: »

Fair enough but you could draw alot of conclusions from that. Ode to Maradona etc... considering the timing of the goal but hey, it'll just sound like straw clutching.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Messi is the better all round player, imo.
    But the arse-licking that is going on in this thread is vomit enducing, tbh. Yes, he's the best in the world but he isn't the God Almighty that most on here are making him about to be, neither is Ronaldo the king of all that is evil, which is what a lot of ABUs are incinuating. Being totally honest I've seen Messi actually dive more times than Ronaldo. I've seen Ronaldo dive a couple of times, but most of his 'diving' is going down with a small bit of contact, which is fúcking annoying but it's not as bad as wholly diving, tbf. Messi does get up and get on with it a lot of the time after a hard tackle, whereas Ronaldo sits there and whines most of the time, everyone knows that. By the way people go on about his whinging you'd swear he was the leader of the Taliban or something, get over it. Also, Ronaldo had Paris Hilton which does make him slightly a legend.

Messi is better than Ronaldo, but not by as much as people say he is. This thread is full of ABUs licking Messi's hole and condemning Ronaldo, I'm not going to name names but there is one in particular who I've called up on ABUing before.

I love a good rant.:P

Some people defending C.Ronaldos antics is quite vomit inducing. They wouldn't happen to be United fans by any chance would they? Perish the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ush1 wrote: »
    Fair enough but you could draw alot of conclusions from that. Ode to Maradona etc... considering the timing of the goal but hey, it'll just sound like straw clutching.

If that's not cheating, then this is:

Filthy player.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Messi's record since 2005/06:

Appearances: 181
    Goals: 128
    Assists: 46

Honours:

Honours and Awards

Spain Barcelona:

* Spanish League (3): 2004-05, 2005-06, 2008-09
    * Spanish Cup: (1) 2008-09
    * Spanish Supercup (3): 2005, 2006, 2009
    * UEFA Champions League (2): 2005-06, 2008-09
    * UEFA Super Cup (1): 2009
    * FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2009

Argentina International:

* FIFA U-20 World Cup (1): 2005
    * Olympic Gold Medal (1): 2008

Individual:

* FIFA U-20 World Cup Top Scorer: 2005
    * FIFA U-20 World Cup Player of the Tournament: 2005
    * Copa América Young Player of the Tournament: 2007
    * U-21 European Footballer of the Year: 2007
    * FIFA World Player of the Year: 2009
    * FIFA Team of the Year: 2008, 2009
    * European Footballer of the Year: 2009
    * Onze d'Or: 2009
    * UEFA Champions League Player of the Year: 2008–2009
    * UEFA Champions League Forward of the Year: 2008–2009
    * UEFA Team of the Year: 2007–2008, 2008–2009
    * UEFA Champions League Top Scorer: 2008–2009
    * FIFPro World Player of the Year: 2008–09
    * FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2006–2007, 2007–2008
    * FIFPro World Young Player of the Year: 2005–2006, 2006–2007, 2007–2008
    * FIFPro World XI: 2006–2007, 2007–2008, 2008–2009
    * Trofeo Alfredo Di Stéfano: 2008–2009
    * LFP Best Player: 2008–2009
    * LFP Best Striker: 2008–2009
    * World Soccer Player of the Year: 2009
    * World Soccer Young Player of the Year: 2005–2006, 2006–2007, 2007–2008
    * FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball: 2009
    * Toyota Award: 2009
    * Player of the Year of Argentina: 2005, 2007, 2009
    * Premio Don Balón (Best Foreign Player in La Liga): 2006–2007, 2008–2009
    * EFE Trophy (Best Ibero-American Player in La Liga): 2006–2007, 2008–2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Not bad for such a poor player, by most peoples' standards:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Some people defending C.Ronaldos antics is quite vomit inducing. They wouldn't happen to be United fans by any chance would they? Perish the thought.

You wouldn't happen to be a total and utter ABU, would you? Perish the thought.:rolleyes:

His giving out and constant bítching to the ref/teammates/anyone who'd acknowledge him used to píss me off to no end when he played with United, but it's who he is. He feels he is better than the players around him and when he doesn't get the ball he gives out, what about it? He is betteer than 99.99% of footballers in the world, so he is right in a sense, but he is completely wrong in the way he goes about it, ie giving out rather than going to get the ball.

As for the diving, tbh, he was labelled a 'cheat' because of the Rooney incident and he's never been able to shake it off, rolling around after a tackle and giving out isn't helping, tbf. But there are plenty of players who dive twice as much as he does but they get away with it, because they aren't as big and their antics aren't highlighted half as much in the media as Ronaldo's were. I don't want to turn this into Liverpool v United, but Gerrard is a prime example of it, he dived/s more than Ronaldo did when he was at Utd, but he wasn't called up on it by the media/Sky simply because they didn't want to ruin the reputation of an English star, which they have done with Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

If this was messi, a new thread would be up and ready to go for another round of arselicking, seriously!
    Wondergoal!

Had Messi scored that, this forum would have exploded with smugness and arse licking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

god am i the only who get tired of these kind of these ****e threads

one minute is the messi appreciation thread, then the xavi one and now other

****ing hell like

just another opportunity for posters to **** over messi or Ronaldo :rolleyes:
    Had Messi scored that, this forum would have exploded with smugness and arse licking.

I have to agree with this, ****ing hate the **** over messi and barca.

Great minds and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

As for the diving, tbh, he was labelled a 'cheat' because of the Rooney incident and he's never been able to shake it off, rolling around after a tackle and giving out isn't helping, tbf. But there are plenty of players who dive twice as much as he does but they get away with it, because they aren't as big and their antics aren't highlighted half as much in the media as Ronaldo's were. I don't want to turn this into Liverpool v United, but Gerrard is a prime example of it, he dived/s more than Ronaldo did when he was at Utd, but he wasn't called up on it by the media/Sky simply because they didn't want to ruin the reputation of an English star, which they have done with Ronaldo.

Also, Gerrard is less of a player than Ronaldo, therefore the papers have less interest.

You wouldn't happen to be a total and utter ABU, would you? Perish the thought.:rolleyes:

His giving out and constant bítching to the ref/teammates/anyone who'd acknowledge him used to píss me off to no end when he played with United, but it's who he is. He feels he is better than the players around him and when he doesn't get the ball he gives out, what about it? He is betteer than 99.99% of footballers in the world, so he is right in a sense, but he is completely wrong in the way he goes about it, ie giving out rather than going to get the ball.

Pretty irrelevant as he's plays for Real Madrid. Him playing for any club isn't gonna turn an apple into an orange.

I really couldn't care less about his moaning, although what it sounds like you're describing is an arrogant whinger. It's diving that annoys people. If he's better than most of the population shouldn't he be above that?

And I agree on Gerrard completely. But don't make me laugh, C.Ronaldo was a darling of English football. Everytime Jamie Redknapp was asked about him he blushed like a school girl with a crush.

#15 wrote: »
    Also, Gerrard is less of a player than Ronaldo, therefore the papers have less interest.

Different players completely its like comparing Zico to Maradona.

LMAO.

If Ronaldo scored that for United, this forum would have exploded multiple times more than had Messi scored any sort of goal.

Never said he was a saint. What did I make up exactly? Where has he cheated?

Am honest player does not handle the ball into the net.

It still doesn't alter the fact that he's the best in the world though.
    However, if a player can be called honest after punching the ball into the net, then I must be getting old or out of touch. Also, I've seen Messi take a tumble a few times.

Basically, calling any modern footballer honest is a bit of a stretch. You could count on your hand the amount of honest footballers around. Messi isn't one of them.

But, it doesn't take away from his greatness.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Different players completely its like comparing Zico to Maradona.

It's not.

Ronaldo is a level above Gerrard.

Messi is on a tier of his own.

Ronaldo occupies the second tier on his own.

After that there is a whole host of extremely talented and capable players - Gerrard is in that bunch.

Everytime Jamie Redknapp was asked about him he blushed like a school girl with a crush.

Something that we can all agree on - Jamie Redknapp's opinions are irrelevant.

Headshot wrote: »
    god am i the only who get tired of these kind of these ****e threads

one minute is the messi appreciation thread, then the xavi one and now other

****ing hell like

just another opportunity for posters to **** over messi or Ronaldo :rolleyes:

I have to agree with this, ****ing hate the **** over messi and barca.

The fact that Barcelona are probably playing the best football we have seen since the Milan and Liverpool sides of the late 80's would be one reason why people can apprecicate the football being served up by Barcelona at the minute.

As for Messi, at the moment he is one of a generation and if people cannot appreciate that due to either rivalries or just plain ignorance you don't see and appreciate what we have before our very eyes. Ronaldo is a great goalscorer and player but he goes missing and this evident on now a few occasions going back to last Saturday as an example. He was anonymous.

Apart from that I don't think he has the natural talent of Messi, better athlete though.

Is a fair assessment IMO.

• Advertisement

Pretty irrelevant as he's plays for Real Madrid. Him playing for any club isn't gonna turn an apple into an orange.

I really couldn't care less about his moaning, although what it sounds like you're describing is an arrogant whinger. It's diving that annoys people. If he's better than most of the population shouldn't he be above that?

And I agree on Gerrard completely. But don't make me laugh, C.Ronaldo was a darling of English football. Everytime Jamie Redknapp was asked about him he blushed like a school girl with a crush.

His cockiness is what I kinda admire about him, he's not afraid to say he's one of the best, confidence breeds excellence. I've rarely seen him properly dive, he gets preferential treatment from 'hard' defenders, no one can deny that, referees have their minds already made up about him half the time before he even goes into a tackle, simply because of his reputation. He goes down when he feels a small bit of contact, which I don't like to see, but it happens with every player, tbf, and because it's Ronaldo everyone makes a big deal about it, same as they do with Messi when he scores a good goal.

Sky was a bad example, but the rags were all over him like a rash.

It's not.

Ronaldo is a level above Gerrard.

Messi is on a tier of his own.

Ronaldo occupies the second tier on his own.

After that there is a whole host of extremely talented and capable players - Gerrard is in that bunch.

How is it explain to me how Gerrard and Ronaldo are the same type of player?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

This topic has become as tiresome as a premiership draw

The fact that Barcelona are probably playing the best football we have seen since the Milan and Liverpool sides of the late 80's would be one reason why people can apprecicate the football being served up by Barcelona at the minute.

As for Messi, at the moment he is one of a generation and if people cannot appreciate that due to either rivalries or just plain ignorance you don't see appreciate what we have before our very eyes. Ronaldo is a great goalscorer but he goes missing and this evident on now a few occasions going back to last Saturday as an example. He was anonymous.

Nonsense. The whole Barca defence was conditioned around Ronaldo.

'Going missing' is lazy analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

In all honesty not exactly sure what point of this thread is. Ronaldo is gone from us to all intents and purposes. Playing in Spanish league which for the most part not many of us watch.
    Will agree with headshot that a lot of this foaming of the mouth over certain players is a bit tiring.

How is it explain to me how Gerrard and Ronaldo are the same type of player?

They're not. But it's still possible to compare them.

• Advertisement

In all honesty not exactly sure what point of this thread is. Ronaldo is gone from us to all intents and purposes. Playing in Spanish league which for the most part not many of us watch.
    Will agree with headshot that a lot of this foaming of the mouth over certain players is a bit tiring.

Didn't you have a Messi 10 jersey as your avatar? And you're a Liverpool fan aswell?

Ronaldo is a great goalscorer and player but he goes missing and this evident on now a few occasions going back to last Saturday as an example. He was anonymous.

Total bóllocks.
    Champions League final 2008, he scored the header, admittedly he did miss his penalty, but we wouldn't have bee there had it not have been for his goal.

As for Messi, at the moment he is one of a generation and if people cannot appreciate that due to either rivalries or just plain ignorance you don't see appreciate what we have before our very eyes. Ronaldo is a great goalscorer but he goes missing and this evident on now a few occasions going back to last Saturday as an example. He was anonymous.

I reckon it's surprising your keyboard is still working

nothing to with rivalries, I dont give a **** about barca, but what I do give a **** about is the obvious **** fest that has engulf this forum, you cant criticise barca or messi without certain posters getting their knickers in a twist.

here's a pic of messi for ya

13_MESSI.jpg

Nonsense. The whole Barca defence was conditioned around Ronaldo.

'Going missing' is lazy analysis.

If that was case how was Higuain sniffed out of the game along with Alonso, Gago and Van Der Vaart.

Do you want to roll out the matches on a list...

Against Liverpool on countless occassions, Barcelona, Lyon to name a few not too mention his peformances at the 2008 Euro's.

Lazy analysis would be looking on the view point of Eamonn Dunphy saying he is a crap player. I appreciate he is talented but he does go missing in my opinion when the tough gets going.

Would you ever shut up. Plenty of people here watch as much Spanish Football as they do English. If you dont want to discuss it, then fair enough, but don't be promoting your ignorance by telling us not to discuss it. See that X in the top right corner there? Yeah, that means fúck off.

• Advertisement

now this thread has just got interesting

Didn't you have a Messi 10 jersey as your avatar? And you're a Liverpool fan aswell?
    Yes i had it for awhile. To acknowledge the mans genius. And also had an avatar for Aquilani as well. this not exactly the same thing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

flahavaj wrote: »
    Lets get things straight before this thread gets stupid:

Messi >>>>Rooney>>>>Ronaldo.

/thread.

Would also like to say I've thought this for the last 2 seasons.

I'm probably going to get in trouble for this but, you are out of your fycking mind.
    Mesi>Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rooney

Headshot wrote: »
    I reckon it's surprising your keyboard is still working

nothing to with rivalries, I dont give a **** about barca, but what I do give a **** about is the obvious **** fest that has engulf this forum, you cant criticise barca or messi without certain posters getting their knickers in a twist.

here's a pic of messi for ya

13_MESSI.jpg

Thank you, I appreciate it :pac:

Lazy analysis would be looking on the view point of Eamonn Dunphy saying he is a crap player. I appreciate he is talented but he does go missing in my opinion when the tough gets going.

I suppose one of the compelling reason for this thread, due to the reactions of the worlds media following the Arsenal game, in which Messi demolished a piss poor defense.
    Rewind to last years penultimate stage in the Champions League, did Ronaldo not demolish a piss poor defense? Fair enough, they werent on as poor a level then whereby he was allowed score 4, but he was awesome.
    Was there similar wankfests back then from the Media, If i can remember correctly there was not..

Total bóllocks.
    Champions League final 2008, he scored the header, admittedly he did miss his penalty, but we wouldn't have bee there had it not have been for his goal.

Oh was that goal Paul Scholes got to send you to the final that season or was that the anonymous Ronaldo who missed the peno in the Nou Camp and went missing for the rest of that leg and the one at Old Trafford well done!

only1stevo wrote: »
    I suppose one of the compelling reason for this thread, due to the reactions of the worlds media following the Arsenal game, in which Messi demolished a piss poor defense.
    Rewind to last years penultimate stage in the Champions League, did Ronaldo not demolish a piss poor defense? Fair enough, they werent on as poor a level then whereby he was allowed score 4, but he was awesome.
    Was there similar wankfests back then from the Media, If i can remember correctly there was not..

Messi has being doing this against all opposition for 2 years now more devastately than he did under Rijkaard.

Oh was that goal Paul Scholes got to send you to the final that season or was that the anonymous Ronaldo who missed the peno in the Nou Camp and went missing for the rest of that leg and the one at Old Trafford well done!

No, that was the Ronaldo that caused panic in the barca defense with a trademark run, that allowed scholes the space to bang one in.

Is this a "Ronaldo goes missing in big games argument" again?

Yeah, its already been proven that not only is that completely false, but that its the hallmark of ignorant fools.

• Advertisement

They're not. But it's still possible to compare them.

Just re-read what you said there and go back, look at the posts. This doesn't make sense to what your point was.

To acknowledge the mans genius.
    foaming of the mouth over certain players is a bit tiring

hyp·o·crite

–noun
    1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

If that was case how was Higuain sniffed out of the game along with Alonso, Gago and Van Der Vaart.

Do you want to roll out the matches on a list...

Against Liverpool on countless occassions, Barcelona, Lyon to name a few not too mention his peformances at the 2008 Euro's.

I don't think you understood me. The whole Barca defence was conditioned to stop Ronaldo, the fact that Reals midfield was snuffed out was due to VDV playing too far forward and the Barca midfield squeezing Real everythime they got the ball. It happens to most midfields that play Barca, its ntthing new.

There are a handful of players in the world who can condition an opponent when they don't have the ball - Ronaldo is one of them.

Rolling off a list of matches is pointless - it tells us nothing of substance.

There is no way I could agree that anyone who has won the world player of the year award goes missing in the big games.

Would you ever shut up. Plenty of people here watch as much Spanish Football as they do English. If you dont want to discuss it, then fair enough, but don't be promoting your ignorance by telling us not to discuss it. See that X in the top right corner there? Yeah, that means fúck off.
    Okay ill rephrase that. Not many people watch Spanish football as much as they watch the Premiership.
    I watch Messi mostly in Champions league but have only watched him occassionally in Spanish league.
    And to remind folks Alonso playing over there as well. But not that interested in watching him now.
    And tell me to **** off again Archi and i wont be so understanding:(

only1stevo wrote: »
    No, that was the Ronaldo that caused panic in the barca defense with a trademark run, that allowed scholes the space to bang one in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqP_jSrOiZY - where was Ronaldo exactly in this goal you mention eh? I think Rooney lost the ball, Barca defence gave it straight to Scholes and bang. No Ronaldo "making a run to cause panic in the Barca defence" whatsoever.

Just re-read what you said there and go back, look at the posts. This doesn't make sense to what your point was.

You're right. I misread your first post:o

I'm leaving the general point out there though.

1)Messi

further back is

2)Ronaldo

and futher still

3)a group of talented players (Gerrard, Xavi, Rooney, Iniesta etc)

Okay ill rephrase that. Not many people watch Spanish football as much as they watch the Premiership.
    I watch Messi mostly in Champions league but have only watched him occassionally in Spanish league.
    And to remind folks Alonso playing over there as well. But not that interested in watching him now.

What does Alonso playing for Madrid have to do with anything?:confused:

If you dont understand the thread, then why are you posting in it? That was the point you made. Ush1 has already called you on your hypocritical ways. But God forbid you shouldn't up that postcount by posting absolute tripe wherever you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqP_jSrOiZY - where was Ronaldo exactly in this goal you mention eh? I think Rooney lost the ball, Barca defence gave it straight to Scholes and bang. No Ronaldo "making a run to cause panic in the Barca defence"
    whatsoever.

Ehhh no. That was Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqP_jSrOiZY - where was Ronaldo exactly in this goal you mention eh? I think Rooney lost the ball, Barca defence gave it straight to Scholes and bang. No Ronaldo "making a run to cause panic in the Barca defence" whatsoever.

That wasn't Rooney, that was Ronaldo. :rolleyes:

Advertisement