Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian lunches around Dublin City?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all!
    I've been a veggie for a few months now and am loving it, apart from one thing...
    As you might have guessed from the title, I'm having trouble finding something nice that I can grab for lunch when I'm around town.
    I'm sick of eating chips/veggie rolls and find myself starting on that slipperly slope towards eating nothing but junk food, simply because it's easier than looking for something worthwhile.

So what I'm looking for is really:
    Something a bit different.
    Not tasteless muck.
    Not fast food. (chipper, Macy D's ect...)
    Isn't just a load of vegetables crammed between two slices of mediocre bread.
    Isn't expensive!

The last one being key! I am, but a poor student. :rolleyes:

I do really like the likes of Dahl&Rice and Felafel, but haven't been able to find anywhere that does it. This is annoying as I was in Edinburgh last year for the Fringe Fest' and I could get great stuff really easily.

If there's anyone that could give me some insight that would be great.
    Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

Madina has a Deli on Parnell st. I think you call it. Across from the cinema there.
    It is five quid for a plate of veggie curry, dal, aloo sag, mixed veg etc. It is upstairs in the food store.

Also I see a sushi deli, on near liffey st....just heading down to the ha penny bridge.

It is 7 euro for main (Pumpkin curry) and a bit of sushi.

Any kebab place will do falafel (Except zaytoon). I like babylon down beside the palace and Sultan up near the george.

Does that help? Or are you out from the city center?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Blazing Salads - Druy street - Samonsas, salads, spring rolls
    M&S - do lots of take-away lunch e.g. samosa, veggie sushi
    Govindas (Georoges street) - do a massive takeaway salad box for about a 5€

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Anywhere around Baggot st /merrion sq area? I know govindas and go there evey so often

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Also Govinda's on Abbey Street. I was just there, I'm so full I feel rather unwell.

...But in a good way:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Grafton St. isn't that far away from Baggot Street and the weather is lovely now so you could walk to M&S no problem! They have LOVELY veggie food and it's really cheap. So many nice salads, samosas, falafels, sandwiches and wraps, raw veggie sticks and dips, fruit salads, sushi, smoothies... mmmm!

However, if you're a poor student shouldn't you be bringing in packed lunches to save on money?? ;) Or you could go somewhere and buy a few days' lunches at a time because things from M&S/Blazing Salads would keep in the fridge fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Thanks for all the replies. I have loads of spots to check out now! :D

I use to bring lunches with me, soggy sandwiches started getting a bit annoying and I found myself making crisp sandwiches because they were quick and easy... Queue an early heart attack with the copious salt/fat intake!:rolleyes:

If anyone has any suggestions for nice packed lunches, I'd be into try those out as well! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I find rice cakes and peanut butter to be a great combination for lunch. Cold pasta, you cant go wrong. Dolmioes original sauce is vegan :D
    Try using pasta sauces as a spread on bread or hummous which is very nice and healthy!
    Subway are good for vegan take aways, Veggie delite on whole wheat bread.
    Im still experimenting :)

I once tryed eating uncle bens microwavable rice straight from the bag. It wasnt bad but i felt quite ill afterwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Govindas mmm. The indian place behind the foggy dew in temple bar has amazing food and veggie mains are cheaper than meat ones. Like 8.95 or something. I'm interested in finding places too, it's always either expensive or crap. I end up eating soup every day! Although it's very nice...need some more variety.

I think I has see you from facebook! Or somebody with the same name!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Govindas mmm. The indian place behind the foggy dew in temple bar has amazing food and veggie mains are cheaper than meat ones. Like 8.95 or something. I'm interested in finding places too, it's always either expensive or crap. I end up eating soup every day! Although it's very nice...need some more variety.

I think I has see you from facebook! Or somebody with the same name!

Cian John Peter Ryan?
    I'm mates with a good few boardsies and my girlfriend seems to know everone, you've probably seen me at some stage. haha

Is that the place with the typo on their sign?
    The 4 couse meal spot?

I've always wondered what it's like, I my check that one out soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yep that's you, you're gonna have to guess me haha (Paul - I posted the engrish thing today on Ni..s comment, if you saw that.)

Ah never noticed the sign..it's the one with an elephant in the middle of the room if you are ever in there and see one. <3 Indian but it's not that handy every day...dunno where in town to go really for less than a tenner. :/

Microwave in college is about it grr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

I always thought it was kinda easy seen as 90% of "veggies" are actually just cheese and bread eaters.

Im was put of a coelliac diet for 2 weeks (by a doctor for the laugh i reckon) and it is tough. Its either bring lunch or it is hard and I can imagine for a veggie its almost as hard cause as I see it veggies normally get junk thrown at them.

Was in a resturant with a mate whos veggie and the only option on the menu was a normal dish, remove the meat and throw in an extra scoop of veg. So he ended up with potatoe carrots and peas. How boring is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

A sandwich would never satisfy me.

1) Base: Buy a few packs of dry essentials e.g. cous cous, pasta, quinoa as a base to a lunch.

2) Filling: Then buy a couple of packs of frozen veg e.g. tescos and alsi do a nice roasted veg that goes well with these. Throw in a bit of feta cheese/quorn/TVP pieces to fill you up. For a bit of a crunch, Aldi sell nice seed mixes.

3) Sauce: Dolmio is great. You could add coconut milk and a curry paste (M&S or pataks) to add a bit of flavour.

Experiment a little bit. Don't be put off my god awful failures. My stomach still churns when I put sweet dried fruit in cous cous.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

We finally have a pasty shop in Dublin now - great for lunch. One one Dawson st and one in that alley from Temple Bar towards Haypenny. They have a good veggie selection, quite pricey but they're big and really nice.

Pasty?

Might try a korma sauce mmm

Pasty?

As in Cornish...Pastry usually filled with mince and onion.

menu-pasty-veg.jpg

They make something similar with spiced potato's, or spinach and cheese but with phyllo in the balkans.

Balkans one sounds nice. Ah I know Pastys now, from the famous five!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 veggiejane

Oooh. I just moved to Dublin recently, and as a veggie I wanted to discover what delights it had to offer. One of the best places I have found so far, and not just in Dublin, is Cornucopia on Wicklow Street (off Grafton). Been there a couple of times and the food is, well, divine! Still getting used to what sort of prices things should be, but you get a substantial, and tasty meal. It's totally veggie and they do some funky dishes, one of my fave things about going to a veggie place if the ideas you get so this might inspire you for some lunchy/salady ideas too.
    Same with Blazing Salads, although I've only been in there once and had a pumpkin and sweet potato pasty I think it was, but overheard a girl buying one of their salad boxes, which are priced by weight. She had one of the standard boxes and it cost her about 7.50, which in my opinion is totally extortionate!
    I've also been to Govindas and will back up the comments on their yummy curries :)
    And I will say last, if you fancy a bagel, I work for Itsa Bagel which has in town a place in Arnotts, and Fitzwilliam Ave just off Baggot St. They do two types of veggie bagels, one of which is vegan, and all the bagels they come on are vegan, bar the g/f ones which have milk in them. (don't take this last one as a promo please, just a heads up for a quick bite!) You can create your own too...
    Oh, there's also a veggie place called Fresh in the Powercourt Townhouse, I haven't been there though... yet!

As for salad/lunch ideas, I found a vegan website which has an amazing range of weird and wonderful ideas for a scrummy meal www.vegweb.com

Hope this helps,
    Jane

First two recipes I see there are irish whiskey cake and chocolate quinoa, I'm sold!

you seem to have found all the best spots pretty well. Govindas/Cornucopia nomnom.
    For people in a restauranty mood, you can get a three course meal + wine in Cactus Jacks by Jervis for 20E. Some nice food like Quesadillas/Chimichanga, gorgeous, refried beans mmm. Not sure about Vegans though. Oh thanks to miss G86 for suggesting it.

Advertisement