Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major Flight disruption today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Slim to none. This could go on for weeks.

Latest ash report is bad.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271463398.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Acc to news the ash is back over Irish airspace and all flights including US ones are cancelled today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

"Trains,ships & automobiles" seem to be the way around for next few days/weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

"Trains,ships & automobiles" seem to be the way around for next few days/weeks

Weeks. Meanwhile keep an eye here during daylight hours where the full answer to everybodys questions may be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

One of the greatest transport calamities in history and this thread isn't doin so well. Strange.

What are the odds that the disruption will last to next weekend? Also, for how many days can airlines stay grounded before they become unviable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

Furet wrote: »
    What are the odds that the disruption will last to next weekend?
    Two factors: the volcano and the weather. The problem is being caused by fairly unusual weather, with high pressure sitting over these islands and the north atlantic, feeding ash down over the UK and the continent. The weather is likely to stay generally the same until at least mid-week, when a more northerly flow may make things better on the continent but worse for us. Fingers crossed that the either volcano goes quiet or the weather forecasts are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

One of the greatest transport calamities in history and this thread isn't doin so well. Strange.

What are the odds that the disruption will last to next weekend? Also, for how many days can airlines stay grounded before they become unviable?
    The damage would be setting in already, I booked Ryanair to Gatwick mid May return last Wednesday, had it being today I would probably have booked Sealink / Euston. People will now choose use sea / rail on shorter routes where there is differences of only a few hours. The added security hassles and stealth charges associated with air travel along with baggage restrictions would also not help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ok, I would appreciate some advice.

I'm in the Munich area-was meant to fly home Friday night (Munich->Dublin), but that didn't happen obviously. Re-booked for Satuday (today) and no good. No seats left for Sunday, but even if there were, I guess the chances of getting the 11.40 flight are slim, whatever about 20.50. So, I have a booking for Monday at 11.40, but no idea whether or not that is realistic.

So, can anyone tell me:

- what is the flight plan for Munich->Dublin (i.e. whose airspace has to open for me to get a flight); and
    - should I cut and run and attempt the train to London (via tunnel) and then Bus Eireann to Dublin; or
    - head for France and try and get from Cherbourg/Roscoff to Ireland and then on to Dublin?

From what I can gather, I'm in a 'no win' situation-if I make it to a port, the chances of getting a ferry or the Eurostar seem slim, and it's a long journey, but at that same time I have no idea when flights are likely to resume.

Do not head anywhere until you have booked the ferry, channel tunnel trains are booked out till monday and the direct routes are cork roscoff or cherbourg-rosslare.

Ferry capacity France - Ireland is nothing like flight capacity was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    - what is the flight plan for Munich->Dublin (i.e. whose airspace has to open for me to get a flight);

It heads from Munich across Frankfurt, across French skies and over the Netherlands, and then over London.

• Advertisement

this site shows all the EU-UK routes inc holland - UK and belgium - uk

http://www.ferrysmart.co.uk/

Another useful site for checking all the ferries/routes is here

http://www.aferry.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

hey guys, i need help.. looking for train times for london to hollyhead on monday morning.. friend of mine trying to get home from brussels and she can get the train on monday morning but i don't know the train times for london to hollyhead?? can someone post a link if you can please... ive looked and i cant find them.... thanks :)

Or would it be easier to get bus eireann from london to dublin??
    Help PLEASE...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm meant to be flying to London on Thursday morning. What do people reckon my chances are? I was thinking of just booking a ferry/train for Wednesday evening before they sell out. What should I do? Totally freaking out :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In all honesty I cannot see normal operations resuming in the next 7 days at the earliest.

Aerlingus should not be stringing people along with their 12 hourly reviews.

I see ferries already booked out until Friday next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Bond-007 wrote: »
    In all honesty I cannot see normal operations resuming in the next 7 days at the earliest.

Looks that way at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lobo1

hey guys, i need help.. looking for train times for london to hollyhead on monday morning.. friend of mine trying to get home from brussels and she can get the train on monday morning but i don't know the train times for london to hollyhead?? can someone post a link if you can please... ive looked and i cant find them.... thanks :)

Or would it be easier to get bus eireann from london to dublin??
    Help PLEASE...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk This is an official UK rail site, will give you times, fares, itineraries from any of the UK entry points to Holyhead, Pembroke etc.

Problem I'm finding is actually getting to the UK, ground transport inter-city within Europe is chaotic, French Rail (SNCF) are on strike, I hear the Spanish Renfe are about to do the same, buses (Eurolines) are all booked until midweek at least and then they will only get you to Paris.
    What I'm finding is that there doesn't seem to be a coordinated effort to get stranded people home. I believe they are putting some extra capacity UK - Irl but there doesn't seem to be anything about getting people to the UK, no response at an EU level, no sign of extra capacity, its everyone for themselves on whatever bit of transport you might be able to pickup.

Its all funny and novel that planes aren't flying but people need to get back home to their families and back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Any indications of the ferry companies putting on extra capacity or sailings?

I would have thought they'd be mad not too. Can Stena not bring back the HSS for the week or Irish ferries run the Swift on extra sailings, given they are nearly 100% certain they'd be full?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Presumably many airlines will put staff on temp notice or whatever its called so no pay. Fuel will not be burnt either.

On the longer term I've read that a lot of people abandoned Irish rail after the malahide collapse.

A lot of people might become more favourable to the ferry as their preferred option and abandon the planes for a while. Our biggest population is what - 10 hours to London by boat / bus / train with none of the airport hassles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Plenty of talk out there that this could break one or two airlines if it continues on into next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

nacho66 wrote: »
    Seems the travel insurance refunds a fixed value apparently of 500 euro if flight is canceled. That would cover my hotel... but... there's always f*** but... if the decision about canceling the flight comes from the top, i.e. it's top flight authorities decision to shut down airports, insurance policy does not apply!! How moronic is that??

I don't understand what's the god damn difference between a volcano cloud and a bad weather. Are they not refunding for flight canceled due to bad weather too?

Apparently some of the big name insurance companies are not paying out stating that this specific event is not covered by a specific term in the contract. Ironic, given that I suspect that most people felt reassured and vindicated that they spent the few quid on the insurance premium. After all, this is the kind of event that people buy insurance for. I'm surprised that there is not more uproar about it.

I managed to get a space on Irish Ferries Holyhead to Dublin 1715 on Monday, but can't find a way accross the Channel. The Eurostar website suggests they have seats available, but as you go to input payment details, the booking fails. I will try giving them a call tomorrow. All ferries seem to be booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

A lot of people might become more favourable to the ferry as their preferred option and abandon the planes for a while. Our biggest population is what - 10 hours to London by boat / bus / train with none of the airport hassles.

Quickest journey from London to Dublin by Train & Boat (Fast Ferry) is 7 1/4 hours, I done this myself recently:D

Beats all that messing about / hassle in & getting to airports, especially if you're 20 mins from Euston by Bus:p

www.seat61.com for details on all train travel to Europe

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I managed to get a space on Irish Ferries Holyhead to Dublin 1715 on Monday, but can't find a way accross the Channel. The Eurostar website suggests they have seats available, but as you go to input payment details, the booking fails. I will try giving them a call tomorrow. All ferries seem to be booked.

Try minor routes like Dunkirk/Dunquerque - Dover or Folkestone and also Newhaven Dieppe instead of Dover Calais, use the sites I linked.

Train to Holyhead booked out, look at Fishguard - Rosslare and the slow train to Dublin...if you must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

seems to be good availability on the Rosslare-Cherbourg route with Irish Ferries too at good rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Try LD Lines and Brittany Ferries - they should be able to get you across the channel from England.

KC61 wrote: »
    Try LD Lines and Brittany Ferries - they should be able to get you across the channel from England.

Brittany Ferries ( Cork Roscoff) do not allow simple foot passengers, you must also take a berth if available. Check whether Irish Ferries is the same on rosslare roscoff and rosslare cherbourg .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

sitstill wrote: »
    I'm meant to be flying to London on Thursday morning. What do people reckon my chances are? I was thinking of just booking a ferry/train for Wednesday evening before they sell out. What should I do? Totally freaking out :-(

Just booked my ferry/train ticket for Wednesday night, complete with FOUR HOUR wait in Holyhead. Dreading it :-(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Brittany Ferries ( Cork Roscoff) do not allow simple foot passengers, you must also take a berth if available. Check whether Irish Ferries is the same on rosslare roscoff and rosslare cherbourg .

I was not talking about Cork/Roscoff.

I was talking about services across the English channel from Portsmouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

For those of you looking for rerouting help, please see this brand new forum which the good masters have set up here. (also in case you filter out the announcement - I know some people do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Any indications of the ferry companies putting on extra capacity or sailings?

I would have thought they'd be mad not too. Can Stena not bring back the HSS for the week or Irish ferries run the Swift on extra sailings, given they are nearly 100% certain they'd be full?

You would imagine that they would if this goes on into late next week. I'm sure they could alter the timetable a bit to allow extra day sailings and maybe even do some extra ones at night.

Trains in and out of Holyhead would be a problem though. They are already full!

Eurostar running 10 extra trains today and 4 extra trains tomorrow. I think each train can carry 700 so that's almost a 10,000 extra passengers between the continent and the UK today and tomorrow. As far as I know, Eurostar is booked out fully today, not sure about tomorrow but I would not be awfully optimistic about getting a booking for tomorrow either.

KevR wrote: »
    You would imagine that they would if this goes on into late next week. I'm sure they could alter the timetable a bit to allow extra day sailings and maybe even do some extra ones at night.

Trains in and out of Holyhead would be a problem though. They are already full!

Eurostar running 10 extra trains today and 4 extra trains tomorrow. I think each train can carry 700 so that's almost a 10,000 extra passengers between the continent and the UK today and tomorrow. As far as I know, Eurostar is booked out fully today, not sure about tomorrow but I would not be awfully optimistic about getting a booking for tomorrow either.

I haven't been able to get a ticket on Eurostar from either Lille or Brussels for the next 2 days via their website (I have been trying since last night) and they are not answering the phone. The best I could do re. ferries was to get from Zeebrugge to Hull but not until Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Latest from Iarnród Éireann:

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=715

For the first time in years a train is actually going to meet a ferry in Ireland:eek:!!

I'm not too familar with Eurostar timetables but could they not start running extra trains through the night if things get much worse?

A lot of people are stranded on the continent and have stayed put because they can't get Eurostar or ferry bookings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

While I am not an expert, you need to remember that they run cartrains through the tunnel as well and that will need to be factored in to expanding capacity for passenger trains.

Not an expert either but I'm guessing the main thing stopping them running extra daytime trains at the moment is a lack of rolling stock. They are running 10 extra trains today - I assume that today is basically a normal Mon-Sat timetable rather than the usual reduced Sunday one. They seem eager to run extra services but I would imagine that the logistics of it are very complicated. The rolling stock would be idle during the night but would they have enough staff and stuff like that?

KevR wrote: »
    The rolling stock would be idle during the night but would they have enough staff and stuff like that?
    Surely they could tempt them with generous overtime, with passengers paying €245 for a single ticket (on Tuesday) the company could well afford it.

BenShermin wrote: »
    Surely they could tempt them with generous overtime, with passengers paying €245 for a single ticket (on Tuesday) the company could well afford it.

I was thinking more along the lines of the rules and regulations which only permit the train drivers to work X amount of hours per day/week.

I'm sure staff would be willing to work and receive generous overtime but not so sure how much overtime they would be permitted to do..

BenShermin wrote: »
    Latest from Iarnród Éireann:

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=715

For the first time in years a train is actually going to meet a ferry in Ireland:eek:!!

:mad: And what about the 4 to 5 people who would nrmally get that train at 17.40, won't somebody think of the children them

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Presumably some maintenance windows for the tunnel would have to happen too. One option might be to use Eurostars for extra tunnel services only, say to Ashford on the UK side with High Speed 1 trains taking passengers the rest of the way to London.

I am told that Bus Eireann had 10 coaches on Eurolines duty last night at Busaras, 2 to Manchester and Leeds, and 8 to London.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sponge Bob wrote: »

You can take a recliner seat ratehr than a berth.

I am told that Bus Eireann had 10 coaches on Eurolines duty last night at Busaras, 2 to Manchester and Leeds, and 8 to London.

how can BE get extra coach space off Stena/IF while the general public and freight companies struggle for space, do they get first call or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

how can BE get extra coach space off Stena/IF while the general public and freight companies struggle for space, do they get first call or something?

Well they are a regular and consistent customer who put at least 4 coaches on Stena sailings every day. They also have a contract to add extra coaches as required.

I would imagine that in this situation Stena like any other company would prioritise their regular customers that will be providing business when the current crisis is over (BE/Eurolines and freight companies with contracts) over air travel refugees most of whom will not travel frequently in the future.

Besides, I just had a quick look at the Stena website and vehicle spaces are available on most sailings including the 21.15 that BE use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Well they are a regular and consistent customer who put at least 4 coaches on Stena sailings every day. They also have a contract to add extra coaches as required.

I would imagine that in this situation Stena like any other company would prioritise their regular customers that will be providing business when the current crisis is over (BE/Eurolines and freight companies with contracts) over air travel refugees most of whom will not travel frequently in the future.

Besides, I just had a quick look at the Stena website and vehicle spaces are available on most sailings including the 21.15 that BE use.
    It would also make sense in these conditons to boot cars off a ferry to put a bus on, as much more people would be able to go on board on a bus, rather than on cars.

Once again trains on the Rosslare route are being altered today to connect with the Irish Ferries ship from Cherbourg and the Stena Line sailing this afternoon from Fishguard.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=720

Timetable alterations - Rosslare to Dublin services - 19/4/2010 by Corporate Communications

Monday 19th April

12.55 Rosslare to Dublin service will be deferred until 14.30 and 17.55 service will be deferred until 18.30 today.

Bus transfers will be in operation for the regular 12.55 Rosslare to Dublin service.

Iarnrod Eireann regrets any inconvenience this may cause.

12.55 Rosslare to Dublin service will be deferred until 14.30 and 17.55 service will be deferred until 18.30 today.

Bus transfers will be in operation for the regular 12.55 Rosslare to Dublin service.

Iarnrod Eireann regrets any inconvenience this may cause.

Those are insane delays for normal commuters?! why can they simply stick another train on? Show you once again how little IE think of that line and its customers.

Using alterations rather than delayments is a sneaky ploy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mdebets wrote: »
    It would also make sense in these conditons to boot cars off a ferry to put a bus on, as much more people would be able to go on board on a bus, rather than on cars.
    Not sure how much sense that would actually make. Any ferry is limited to the number of actual humans it can carry by it's compliment of lifeboats is it not? In theory these vessels could easily carry 10,000 passengers (standing room only etc.) but they are not allowed to because there are only lifeboat provisions for the max normal payload of human cargo. In this scenario, booting off cars etc. to make way for buses will only work up to a point (when the ship is full to its maximum number of passengers determined by the lifeboats) and then it is a waste of time.

I'm just waiting for the talk of the tunnel from Rosslare to Pembroke to resurface....

• Advertisement

why can they simply stick another train on?
    I thought IÉ had a stock shortage, where in God's name do you expect them to find another train:cool:?

Advertisement