Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major Flight disruption today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BenShermin wrote: »
    I thought IÉ had a stock shortage, where in God's name do you expect them to find another train:cool:?

an 071 towing a load of those useless 8200 DARTs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Those are insane delays for normal commuters?! why can they simply stick another train on? Show you once again how little IE think of that line and its customers.

Using alterations rather than delayments is a sneaky ploy too.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't!

We've had people posting here for years complaining about the lack of connections at Rosslare, now when they do provide them people are complaining about that!

There are no spare trains to operate an auxiliary service during the week.

The evening service has been further deferred perhaps to give people more time to get to the station.

Now all that is needed are some extra services on the South Wexford line.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=721

Monday 19th April
    Iarnrod Eireann wish to advise that the 17.55 Rosslare to Dublin service will be deferred until 18.45 today.

Iarnrod Eireann regrets any inconvenience this may cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The 0730 this morning was very lightly loaded.

I am currently on a full capacity Stena fast ferry in the middle of the Irish Sea. The sailing was delayed for 30 mins, lets hope that the trains that connect have been held.

KC61 wrote: »
    You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't!

True, I just find it amusing that when IE finally decide to face the boat issue they do so at the expense of other time tabled services
    KC61 wrote: »
    There are no spare trains to operate an auxiliary service during the week.

surely that recently refurbished mk3 set can be used with a 071/201?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are the 201s cleared to Rosslare as they used to never operate south of Shelton Abbey back in the day?

surely that recently refurbished mk3 set can be used with a 071/201?

They need to be viewed as operational to do that! Unfortunately they are not (except for a railtour).

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Are the 201s cleared to Rosslare as they used to never operate south of Shelton Abbey back in the day?

Only in emergencies and then at reduced speeds.

True, I just find it amusing that when IE finally decide to face the boat issue they do so at the expense of other time tabled services

Something would have to give given the constraints of rolling stock, staff and a single track line.

I suspect it's more the case that they have been told to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Better to use the 3s on a 201-cleared 22K diagram I think. Is there even a run-around track at Rosslare Hbr these days?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nahhh. airports will not open today. Latest advisory

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271719538.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Spitting away into low level airspace it is. This is the 15 minute interval series from the Vodafone Iceland webcam and it will continously update all day today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/102175391233488315229/EyjafjallajokullVolcano20thOfApril2010#

I can see them opening high level Irish airspace for overflights at 30,000 Ft+ but not the lower levels.

Lufthansa are now overflying Ireland at high altitude on transatlantic flights ...which does not mean our airports will open!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

The travel chaos has at least been good news for the Cork to Swansea ferry, NewsTalk reported that there were circa 500 foot passengers alone on this mornings sailing from Swansea into Cork.

This should give the company a great boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Has Irish airspace reopened? Flight callsign DLH460 is heading our way! ([url]www.flightradar24.com):confused:[/url] www.radarvirtuel.com Update....Just flew over my house....saw it with my own eyes!!

Lufthansa , they overflew Donegal earlier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

High level airspace IS open, as it is in the UK (above 20,000ft) The problem for us down here is getting up there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Was it a bird, Superman or Willie Walsh? This UFO passed over Enniscorthy at about 11.45am today. :D

jet002.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Aircoach have started a service linking the ferry port with the airport:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=221
    Aircoach is delighted to advise that it has commenced a new service linking Dublin Ferry Port, North Wall to Dublin Airport to facilitate passengers who may require to travel between these two locations as a result of the current air travel restrictions.

Coaches will meet all Ferry arrivals at Dublin Ferry Port and travel directly to Dublin Airport via the Port Tunnel.

Coaches will also depart from the Aircoach stop, Arrivals Road, Dublin Airport at 06:30, 12:30 and 19:00 to connect with ferry departures from Dublin Port.

This service will operate for the duration of the current disruption to flights at Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »

I hope they have a proper route licence for that
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Glad to seem some practical steps being taken.

So what is this government 'task force' doing besides monitoring the situation?

I hope they have a proper route licence for that
    :D:D:D

I doubt if anyone would refuse them a licence given the times we are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, they wouldn't be having much other business at the moment I guess, so they may as well use their buses for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

arctictree wrote: »
    Patton is probably doing the same to DunLaoghaire.

The change to the evening service from Rosslare is continuing...

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=725

Timetable Alterations - Rosslare/Wexford to Dublin 20th-22nd April 2010 by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann wish to advise that the 17.55 Rosslare to Dublin service will be deferred until 18.45 from Tuesday 20th until Thursday 22nd April (inclusive), to facilitate ferry passengers.

Also, the 19.30 service from Wexford to Dublin will be substituted by buses.

Iarnrod Eireann regrets any inconvenience this may cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Kind of amazing that it takes a global emergency to get a train to meet a ferry in Ireland.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Kind of amazing that it takes a global emergency to get a train to meet a ferry in Ireland.

You seriously mean that we had a situation where a train would depart before a ferry arrived leaving passengers stranded?! (Not being sarcastic here)

You are obviously unfamiliar with the machinations of the Dept of Transport's route licencing Humphreys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What about the Waterford to Rosslare line?

I am sure Iarnrod Eireann has provided extra trains to meet up with recent the surge in foot passengers catching the ferry.

You seriously mean that we had a situation where a train would depart before a ferry arrived leaving passengers stranded?! (Not being sarcastic here)

As if to give two fingers to ferry passengers at Rosslare the normal train leaves at 1755, five minutes before the 1800 Stena ferry arrives. But for the next two days they'll wait for that one.

But they're still giving two fingers to Irish Ferries passengers. They arrive in at 1845, just in time to wave at the now-temporarily-delayed-till-1845 train.

Instead of waiting for no ferries it now waits for only one. You couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

As if to give two fingers to ferry passengers at Rosslare the normal train leaves at 1755, five minutes before the 1800 Stena ferry arrives. But for the next two days they'll wait for that one.

But they're still giving two fingers to Irish Ferries passengers. They arrive in at 1845, just in time to wave at the departing 1845 train.

Instead of waiting for no ferries it now waits for only one. You couldn't make it up.
    To be fair, there's no real proper train connections to the Irish Ferries terminal in Pembroke Dock either.

The Pembroke to Rosslare route is also not in the Sailrail agreement.

The Pembroke to Rosslare route is also not in the Sailrail agreement.

Sail/Rail doesn't cover rail on this side of the Irish Sea, Rosslare or Dublin, but that's no reason to ignore the ferries.

If you're running a train service, it might be an idea to run trains at times that suit passengers.

Can we stop this boring rail prattle in a FLIGHT THREAD. Please. This is about flying if possible and ferry if not.

People are trying to get in and out of the country and all we get is pages of utter prattle about railway timetables in Rosslare. :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Patton Flyer is actually totally suspended right now, I would have expected him to cut it back, but to suspend it, despite the fact it's illegal, shows the true nature in which he holds his passengers rather than it being the service provided for local people rather than profit as he proclaims it as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Sail/Rail doesn't cover rail on this side of the Irish Sea, Rosslare or Dublin, but that's no reason to ignore the ferries.
    :confused: Sail rail does cover every station in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Spongbob, maybe if IÉ actually timetabled trains to meet with the ferries this sort of discussion wouldn't be needed in time of madness.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Can we stop this boring rail prattle in a FLIGHT THREAD. Please. This is about flying if possible and ferry if not.

People are trying to get in and out of the country and all we get is pages of utter prattle about railway timetables in Rosslare. :(

The fact that trains are being altered to meet ferry connections so that people who cannot fly and are now on the ferries is I would respectfully suggest appropriate to this thread.

People need to know their options!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If you do not stop whinging at each other about rail related stuff and using this as a stick to beat rail travel I will start banning people and possibly close the thread.

Is that clear?

:confused: Sail rail does cover every station in Ireland and Northern Ireland..
    It actually doesn't, as in it's not part of the Sail/Rail ticket - it's a separate add-on that costs (a lot) depending on what station you are travelling from. As for travelling from the UK side to an Irish station, I don't think you can buy such a ticket. Sail/Rail should really be called Sail/UK-Rail.

• Advertisement

First plane out of Shannon is this lad belonging to the (allegedly former) CIA front company Southern Air Transport..

I knew there was a reason they were opening Shannon at 5pm :)

sat.jpg

Oh!, and now the CIA are airborne and aer Lingus reposition an airbus plane from Tenerife the airport is being closed again :D

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=873
    Shannon Airport is currently open but will close at 1900 hours.

It actually doesn't, as in it's not part of the Sail/Rail ticket - it's a separate add-on that costs (a lot) depending on what station you are travelling from. As for travelling from the UK side to an Irish station, I don't think you can buy such a ticket. Sail/Rail should really be called Sail/UK-Rail.
    Once upon a time (1991) I could buy a ticket from Glasgow (Queen St?)-Stranraer-Larne-Mallow. Not sure you can do that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

You can buy a UK ticket to stations in Ireland via any Sailrail Ferry APART from Rosslare probably because IE don't any adequate onward connections to the rest of the Irish rail network:rolleyes:

Sailrail via Rosslare has the "Irish destination" space blanked out on their website unlike other Irish Ferry terminals:confused:

As people are taking trains & ferries because of the current situation I think this information is relevant to the thread:D

www.sailrail.co.uk

Lookit people. This argument is facile.

1. The London - Fishguard train is long, maybe 8 carriages. There are 2 a day.
    2. The Dublin - Rosslare train is short, a 2 carriage railcar.

Rosslare capacity is therefore 1/4 that of Fishguard capacity on the same mode

The timetable has been out of whack with capacity for YEARS , at least 3
    August 7, 2007
    Still on a mission to get home by sea and we discovered if we got afternoon sailing from Fishguard the next day to Rosslare we'd have missed the last train to Dublin by 20 mins!

A 2 carriage 2800 railcar has the same capacity as about 3 Buses max.

There are 2 trains = 6 buses worth of capacity to Dublin , daily.

There are 20 Buses on the same route.

Now stop wittering on about railways in Rosslare, they are irrelevant and have no meaningful capacity at 300 punters moved a day to Dublin and nowhere near the capacity of Fishguard trains :(

For christs sake let us have one thread about Planes and Ferries on its own :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Mod note again.

If you do not stop arguing about rail related matters in this thread I will ban anyone who ignores this message.

I moderate this place with as light a touch as possible but right now the trouble caused all over the shop by rail discussions derailing, going offline, causing fights and arguments even in threads that are to some extent unrelated.

This relates to flight delay. We know there are lacunae in the Irish rail system. This thread is not, however, the place to argue and moan about it.

Again I want this to be clear: anyone who ignores this message gets banned. Do not bring up inadequacies in the Irish rail system in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Lookit people. This argument is facile.

1. The London - Fishguard train is long, maybe 8 carriages. There are 2 a day.
    2. The Dublin - Rosslare train is short, a 2 carriage railcar.

For the record, any DMU's that serve Dublin-Rosslare are 4 car sets minimum except for 3 car 22000s; they carrying about the same as a 4 car set commuter set. No two car sets run any services into or out of Dublin while some services see 6 cars on them. Some ferries in the UK are met by small railcar sets so it's unfair to say what you did though we all can agree that capacity is currently tight given the demand on ferry seats.

Couple of Britsh Airways planes may be diverted into Shannon for an overnight each ( they were on their way from west coast US destinations to Heathrow in anticipation of clear conditions there I believe) waiting on an updated sqwalk to see what happens.

Make that about 6 British Airways planes diverting to Shannon, it will look like the old days on the tarmac down there by 9pm with rows of jets parked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Couple of Britsh Airways planes may be diverted into Shannon for an overnight each ( they were on their way from west coast US destinations to Heathrow in anticipation of clear conditions there I believe) waiting on an updated sqwalk to see what happens.
    this thing could get worse as much as better

• Advertisement
Advertisement