Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 vrhunski

where are tremors for Eyjafjallajökull ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Garseys wrote: »
    So if Katla erupts.....we're knackered basically?

It will be the end of civilisation as we know it. :eek: But we should be better prepared for it than most... living for years on end with little glimpse of the Sun has ensured the Irish will thrive in a world of permanent darkness. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

check last tremor..become stronger with each update. next one is in 15.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

That ash projection for Tuesday is serious Darkman.
    Ireland would be the worst in Europe taking a direct hit.
    Even today it's obvious how much ash is in the sky. When last did we have a hazy sky from the North - answer never it's all ash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

If the second volcano was to blow, aside from the disruptions to air travel etc, would we need to take precautions against sulfur dioxide and/or other chemical poisoning in the air and soils? i caught the tail end of a broadcast on rte about this, but didn't hear enough to know exactly what they were saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

snow ghost wrote: »
    Same as that - maybe the site is getting too many hits and it is overloading it or something.

Sorry bout that, yeah it's not loading for me either..can't find any other cam right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

kevin12345 wrote: »
    i know it's been posted already but it updates every 10 minutes....Katla still getting stronger tremors :rolleyes:

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

Looking at graphs is all very well ...they only become meaningful when you understand them however.

Without even a legend on that table, I would leave the interpretation to the volcanolgists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

vrhunski wrote: »
    check last tremor..become stronger with each update. next one is in 15.50.

Does anyone know how to read those graphs?
    eg. what is the significance of the different coloured lines?

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Looking at graphs is all very well ...they only become meaningful when you understand them however.

Without even a legend on that table, I would leave the interpretation to the volcanolgists

Completely agree with that, but it does seem fairly clear from those charts that seismic is increasing somewhat atm

Does anyone know how to read those graphs?
    eg. what is the significance of the different coloured lines?

There's a legend above for the colours, they're different frequencies of tremor in hertz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

trogdor wrote: »
    Completely agree with that, but it does seem fairly clear from those charts that seismic is increasing somewhat atm

yeah that's the only obvious thing from the graphs :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

That ash projection for Tuesday is serious Darkman.
    Ireland would be the worst in Europe taking a direct hit.
    Even today it's obvious how much ash is in the sky. When last did we have a hazy sky from the North - answer never it's all ash!

It's only a projection so it has a margin of error. The volcano could, of course, just stop errupting.:rolleyes: If not we are waiting for a significant change in wind direction. But that may not be enough because by Tuesday a good chunk of the Northern Hemisphere looks to be effected by the spread. It may take a few days to clear. There is a slight risk that by as early as Late Monday or Tuesday flights may have to be cancelled in North Eastern parts of Canada and possibly even the North East of the US if the current spread forecasts are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

But we have no indication whatsoever if that is at a level that is anything to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

There's a legend above for the colours, they're different frequencies of tremor in hertz

Gathered that. But does an increase in 2-4hz have more significance towards a possible eruption than lets say an increase in .5-1hz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think the tremors on the graphs you are looking at is related more to the vicinity around Eyjafjallajökull and not Katla. I know Katla is in the title of the url but the graph is from the Eyjafjallajökull section of the site.

Icelandic Met Office have confirmed that tremors are ongoing since around midnight at Eyjafjallajökull and these graphs seem to show that.

peasant wrote: »
    But we have no indication whatsoever if that is at a level that is anything to worry about

True, it may not be anywhere near dangerous or even abnormal levels, just out of the last few days, it does seem to be a bit (no idea how much) more agitated. Not giving any any doom predictions from them for sure, i just find them interesting:)

Gathered that. But does an increase in 2-4hz have more significance towards a possible eruption than lets say an increase in .5-1hz?

That's where i have no idea:o my guess would be that the amplitude is more important than the frequencies though

Here's some much info on the graphs
    http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/englishweb/tremor.html
    Basically it's pretty unreliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pic from 17:00 .. still going strong.

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »

Can I have the link to your webcam please :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

delw wrote: »
    BA sending test flight over Ireland this evening according to sky news

that ba aircraft is going to cardiff only!! england england england!!!:mad::mad:they should go over ni, and scotland.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

It doesn't look nearly as strong as it did in images from early this morning. I don't know if that is because the wind is stronger, or the eruption is less intense. Either way, it has to be a good thing if the ash plume is not as high.

owenc wrote: »
    that ba aircraft is going to cardiff only!! england england england!!!:mad::mad:they should go over ni,wales and scotland.:mad:

cardiff IS in Wales :pac:

Can I have the link to your webcam please :D

http://www.vodafone.is/eldgos/en

They've cut the live feed to anyone outside Iceland, but you can get hourly pics if you follow the link through to Picasa.

Pity, it was definitely the best cam.

cardiff IS in Wales :pac:

Do you think im stupid, im from the uk i should know about it!:rolleyes:

http://www.vodafone.is/eldgos/en

They've cut the live feed to anyone outside Iceland, but you can get hourly pics if you follow the link through to Picasa.

Pity, it was definitely the best cam.

Thanks anyways :D

owenc wrote: »
    Do you think im stupid, im from the uk i should know about it!:rolleyes:

No its just you said it's flying to cardiff then you said England england england :confused:

No its just you said it's flying to cardiff then you said England england england :confused:

yes they get everything.:rolleyes: Its like in ireland dublin gets everything. now the bbc are saying ba are flying over the atlantic. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8628323.stm and they wont be aloud to fly till thursday:confused::confused:

It's early to call but if the End of Days is upon us it's time to make contingency plans... already there are predicted shortages of food and other essentials... get your beer in folks while you still can, Armageddon will be a lot easier after a few whiskeys. :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

It doesn't look nearly as strong as it did in images from early this morning. I don't know if that is because the wind is stronger, or the eruption is less intense. Either way, it has to be a good thing if the ash plume is not as high.

The wind is definitely stronger now, making it appear less intense. Hard to tell really, but it looks to be about the same volume of ash coming out. Agree on the ash not as high being a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kleefarr wrote: »

They have, but there are new ones up there now. Worth a repost too anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dont want to sound dramatic, but as Im sitting outside here typing away on my laptop tiny dust particles are settling on the screen. Wouldn't notice it otherwise. Its probably just "normal" dust all the same.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

They have, but there are new ones up there now. Worth a repost too anyway!

Some spectacular photos!

Dont want to sound dramatic, but as Im sitting outside here typing away on my laptop tiny dust particles are settling on the screen. Wouldn't notice it otherwise. Its probably just "normal" dust all the same.:)

There was loads of dust on the cars around here, that I suspect was from the Volcanic dust cloud. Whilst it is obviously much more intense in iceland, it is still worth noting the damage this ash can do:

"Farmers across the region where the volcano erupted this week under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier have been scrambling to protect their herds from inhaling or ingesting the ash, which can cause internal bleeding, long-term bone damage and teeth loss."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/18/AR2010041801985.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Seems to be a concerted effort under way by airlines and airports to get restrictions relaxed, ash or no ash. The german and dutch airlines seem to be really pushing...on the other hand, Ryanair sounds very skeptical of their 'tests'. If Ryanair is the one sounding caution about safety, you know something's wrong!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

LookingFor wrote: »
    Seems to be a concerted effort under way by airlines and airports to get restrictions relaxed, ash or no ash. The german and dutch airlines seem to be really pushing...on the other hand, Ryanair sounds very skeptical of their 'tests'. If Ryanair is the one sounding caution about safety, you know something's wrong!

It's obvious the airlines in question care more about the money than the passengers safety. If even one plane were to fall from the sky, it would be a disaster, then the finger pointing would start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yep, beware the reasonings of O'Leary.

Also it has to be considered that the economic effects that are affecting these other European airlines will create a major opportunity for Ryanair.

Ryanair are probably waiting for some of the other players to go bancrupt so they can aquire their routes, airport spots and aircraft.

so true :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Yep, beware the reasonings of O'Leary.

Ryanair a very profitable company. Other airlines arent so profitbale. O'leary knows that a few airlines could go to the wall the longer they are grounded ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

anyone got the latest katia data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Those airships are not looking quite so bad now, huh?

Seriously, I hope this all clears up soon, it's a long drive to South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

if flights are allowed to resume again, and its up to the airlines to decide

Do you think the route from Dublin to Chicago would be considered one of the safer or riskier routes?

anyone got the latest katia data?

im guessing you meant katla :confused: but yeah, here http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ragg wrote: »
    Ryanair a very profitable company. Other airlines arent so profitbale. O'leary knows that a few airlines could go to the wall the longer they are grounded ;)

Maybe so. Lost all respect for the guy during Lisbon Pt 2. Turncoat, not to mention his totally embarrising debate with Joe Higgins on Primetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Listen, if Ireland becomes uninhabitable because of all this, you weather guys can always bunk in with us here at the Cranium Central, let me ask the missus how many we can accommodate ...

... umm, apparently it's one, and I have to move out. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Listen, if Ireland becomes uninhabitable because of all this, you weather guys can always bunk in with us here at the Cranium Central, let me ask the missus how many we can accommodate ...

... umm, apparently it's one, and I have to move out. :confused:

Nice idea; and of course with "family" there...

er... a long journey by sea too...

• Advertisement
Advertisement