Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

alibabba wrote: »
    The Royal Navy are been drafted in the rescue the brits stranded abroard, source sky news.

So i can expect a statement any time soon from the Irish Government that they are launching the complete fleet of LEs !

:D

One of the fleet is on standby in Dublin to transport any sick children that need operations in the UK, don't know about the rest of the fleet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

At what altitude does the plume have to eject to to cause problems for aircraft down here? With the lower plume has the tap effectively been turned off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 ann_likes_cake

One of the fleet is on standby in Dublin to transport any sick children that need operations in the UK, don't know about the rest of the fleet

I think I read that the LE Ciara is waiting near Loop Head in case it is required for search and rescue.

We only have 8 in service, not sure where the other 6 are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

LookingFor wrote: »
    At what altitude does the plume have to eject to to cause problems for aircraft down here? With the lower plume has the tap effectively been turned off?

If the plume is lower then I think most of the ash would just fall into the sea and not be carried so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think I read that the LE Ciara is waiting near Loop Head in case it is required for search and rescue.

We only have 8 in service, not sure where the other 6 are.

Yep, LE Ciara is providing Search and Rescue cover 50 nautical miles of the west coast - LE Roisin is in the Irish Sea in case it is called to Dublin to transport patients to the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yep, LE Ciara is providing Search and Rescue cover 50 nautical miles of the west coast - LE Roisin is in the Irish Sea in case it is called to Dublin to transport patients to the UK

Hey, be careful there, a guy got imprisoned last week for giving out the locations of a ship!

Su Campu wrote: »
    Hey, be careful there, a guy got imprisoned last week for giving out the locations of a ship!

I put all blame on Tim Vaughan - he put it on a National newspaper this morning!

BA is saying a visual inspection revealed no damage on their test flight yesterday. They're doing a technical analysis now.

On the other hand, Nato has said 'several' F-16 fighter jets have suffered engine damage patrolling over Europe:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gOf6EkFL_a2lZK_hHNlDWEig3uXwD9F63E6G4

Is there something about military engines that might exacerbate the problem vs commercial jets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Actually test flights through British and Irish air space have concluded that currently it is very dangerous over us.
    The ash elsewhere over Europe is dispersing nicely but we are still in a northerly bringing more of it down.
    peasant wrote: »
    Would you have a source for that?

I heard what Black Briar posted on Morning Ireland on Radio 1 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

peasant wrote: »
    Would you have a source for that?

I'm sure Black Briar doesn't need me answering questions for him but I felt compelled to post a piece from BBC news this morning:
    BBC wrote:
    However, a Met Office plane encountered dangerous levels of ash when it went through the ash cloud on Sunday.

Website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8628878.stm Near the bottom of the article.

• Advertisement

Sky had a guy on from the UK Met office explaining how they're determining the risk.

He was explaining that they don't simply predict, but do also measure. They use LIDAR to 'see' the layers of ash, and have also been running their own flights taking samples. He says these measurements show a number of layers of ash at different altitudes and are roughly in line with the predicted flow of the dust.

Ash plume still looks fairly low on the webcam but the tremors have picked up again in some locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

LookingFor wrote: »
    BA is saying a visual inspection revealed no damage on their test flight yesterday. They're doing a technical analysis now.

On the other hand, Nato has said 'several' F-16 fighter jets have suffered engine damage patrolling over Europe:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gOf6EkFL_a2lZK_hHNlDWEig3uXwD9F63E6G4

Is there something about military engines that might exacerbate the problem vs commercial jets?

Ya ... money
    BA would look at it wrt airlines losing money
    Nato would look at it wrt safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Found a nice photo Before eruption 28833863.jpg from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is this a live link for volcano. dont know coz me computers a bit crap but thats the unpronouncable place where it is isnt it
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

From Reuters, more good news (I think?)
    LAVA SEEN AT ICELANDIC VOLCANO, ASH PRODUCTION DIMINISHING - METEOROLOGICAL OFFICE

pauldry wrote: »
    Is this a live link for volcano. dont know coz me computers a bit crap but thats the unpronouncable place where it is isnt it

Yep, thats live.

Light aircraft just flew over me, about 10,000 feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

British Royal Navy to be used to bring stranded Brits home from europe....you would think they would of this straight away.

LOokin at the live feed of the volcano now, doesnt look so" angry "2day.

• Advertisement

Just gone over again heading west this time, Twin engined,

couldn't make out any markings though.

Good VAAC forecast:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271676889.png

Notes that eruption has virtually ceased, and you see the plume 'stopped' in their forecasts now, with the ash risk area shrinking down from iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

We had a number of light aircraft going over Maynooth during the weekend - all propeller, though, no jets. As I understand it, propeller planes are safer, and in any case, many of them don't go high enough to really be in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Head of Aviation at met eireann on the radio just after one said things should start settling down from today onwards. Although he pointed out that the ash cloud could still be hanging around the North Atlantic for the next couple of days.

Not sure how significant it is but the tremors being recorded at Eystriskogar ( south of and about halfway between Eyjafjallajökull and Katla) now haven't been at this level since 4 days ago.

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

Ash plume still looks pretty much the same all morning though.

Who gives the nod for Europe to evacuate ?

• Advertisement

14:03 Irish airspace could be clear by tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning.

The Aviation Division at Met Éireann says that the fact that the volcano has stopped emitting ash, combined with prevailing meteorological conditions, means that the skies could clear sooner than originally thought.

:)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0419/travelupdates.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Excellent, good chances so things clear by Thursday!

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Excellent, good chances so things clear by Thursday!

Yep, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wooohoooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Katla tremors highest since 14th April now:
    http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

Also, small one is still smoking, it was almos stopped in the morning, a little bit stronger now:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Also, small one is still smoking, it was almos stopped in the morning, a little bit stronger now.

Looks like mainly steam atm, rather than ash.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like mainly steam atm, rather than ash.

If you can tell that from a webcam, you're no short of a genius :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Am I the only one who kinda wants to see Katla go up? I mean, I know it'd be **** and all in terms of the economy with regard to aviation, but I bet it'd be pretty spectacular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

andrew wrote: »
    Am I the only one who kinda wants to see Katla go up? I mean, I know it'd be **** and all in terms of the economy with regard to aviation, but I bet it'd be pretty spectacular!
    I want to get home first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

you're brave;)

Ya ... and how about we then use your remains as the Sacrificial gift to the gods to quieten them down again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

You aren't alone Andrew, I think it would be a pretty amazing thing to witness!

That said though, I would be pretty unaffected in terms of trying to leave or get back to the country so it's easy for me to say!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you can tell that from a webcam, you're no short of a genius :D

Well, it's fairly easy. Steam looks white. Ash looks dark/black.

Well, it's fairly easy. Steam looks white. Ash looks dark/black.

Err... no :)
    Ash can be white too...

Ash can be white too...

Generally when the volcano has been spewing ash, it's very dark brown/black.

• Advertisement

And how does that explain that everything in Iceland that has been under the ash cloud is covered with light grey ash?
    Try as you might, you can NOT tell the ash content based on a *webcam* picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Easier to pronounce too :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

surely theyre putting water on so itll be fine.

And how does that explain that everything in Iceland that has been under the ash cloud is covered with light grey ash?
    Try as you might, you can NOT tell the ash content based on a *webcam* picture.

I did say mainly steam. Of course there is probably some ash content. If you were looking at webcams for the last couple of the days there is a significant difference today. Especially on Saturday, there was a thick column of dark/black ash spewing out of the volcano.

Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6dDesUPkMo

Yep. There is a lot less ash in the plume by the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

50 Lufthansa long haul flights have been given special permission to return to Germany.
    They will fly according to visual flight rules under the ash cloud as soon as they reach the blocked airspace.

Most of these flights are expected to land tomorrow morning.
    Associated Press
    Lufthansa gets permission to fly passengers home
    Associated Press, 04.19.10, 10:10 AM EDT

BERLIN -- Germany's aviation authority says it has granted Lufthansa permission to fly 50 planes back to Germany with about 15,000 passengers aboard.

Sky News saying that British airspace to reopen tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at the pics of the volcano today there is a big difference in levels of smoke being ejected from it especially compared to Saturday. That being said there is nothing stopping it from erupting violently again at any time. I'm a bit surprised at the announcement that British airspace will open tomorrow but i guess its to be expected. At least people will get a chance to get home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

NO! scottish airspace!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8630455.stm listen to bbc news sky news are false sometimes.. i have told this tons of times already.

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    NO! scottish airspace!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8630455.stm listen to bbc news sky news are false sometimes.. i have told this tons of times already.

Read the first line of the article you linked to
    Airspace in Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of northern England is due to reopen on Tuesday after days of travel chaos caused by a volcanic ash cloud.

Advertisement