Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Is it just me or does it look more active now on this view? http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/

live image here , looks like its picking up again for the evening
    me reckon she's in for the long haul
    all that will save europe now is a change in wind direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is the aggression and rudeness, and lack of any sense of humour; will leave him to you men, but if he had been in any of my classes in my teaching days and spoken as he does...;)

I think he is about 14 or something. Ok, he is a little patriotic about his homeland and can be a bit rude in a harmless way but he will grow out of that. He does display a good degree of interest in all things geographical and meteorological though so which is unusual for his age. He's not the worst. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

If you get bored not being able to track planes.. well maybe you might like to track the ships/ferries instead

http://www.shipais.com/index.php

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

I think he is about 14 or something. Ok, he is a little patriotic about his homeland and can be a bit rude in a harmless way but he will grow out of that. He does display a good degree of interest in all things geographical and meteorological though so which is unusual for his age. He's not the worst. :)
    sshh he'll be home from school any minute now...

Heres the link to tracking the Celebrity Eclipse liner that is 'supposed' to going to Spain on a taxi run
    :rolleyes:

http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=249666000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I bet all the weather nuts in here were weather fanatics at 14, i know i was. BTW who is the worst....is it me :( :eek: :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

RockPaper wrote: »
    sshh he'll be home from school any minute now...

Mammy obviously drives him everywhere (when he wants) and that is why he still loves snow! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It is the aggression and rudeness, and lack of any sense of humour;)

Can't agree with that Graces - he comes across as a perfectly normal and intelligent young lad for his age.

I'd be more concerned about the ones in hoods sneaking around at night after a visit to the local head shop up to no good, rather than the ones on here interested in Meterology. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Wilson on Sky had a bit of 'numbers' about the ash...unless I misheard him he said there was an ash layer over scotland at the moment that's 1000ft thick, and that if a plane were to fly through it it would be ingesting 6 billion particles per minute.

So there you go.

• Advertisement

The BBC was reporting earlier that Iranian clerics blamed women wearing short skirts, etc for earthquakes there! :eek: Wonder if is why this Volcano erupted in Iceland - all those icelandic chicks bathing in those hot springs? :)

All we get here when we see chicks in little clothing is car crashes.

snow ghost wrote: »
    The BBC was reporting earlier that Iranian clerics blamed women wearing short skirts, etc for earthquakes there! :eek: Wonder if is why this Volcano erupted in Iceland - all those icelandic chicks bathing in those hot springs? :)

All we get here when we see chicks in little clothing is car crashes.

Was only a matter of time before this came up:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18794-blame-the-volcano-trouble-on-sun-and-global-warming.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

Apparently, global warming causes more blocking patterns to develop. This is the same global warming that supposedly caused the very same blocking patterns to be diminished just a few months ago. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well as I sit at home here when I should be at the airport, I came across these jokes about the volcano. Not great, but at least they may rise a smile. Then again.......:rolleyes:

1. Your mum’s so fat when she got cremated they had to ban all planes from flying over europe.
    2. Icelandic Volcano? I thought the dust was coming from Man City's trophy cabinet!

3. I think it’s too soon to make jokes about the Icelandic volcano…we should at least wait until the dust settles.

4. Volcano in Iceland…What next Earthquake in Asda?

5. What do Cheryl Cole and the Iceland volcano have in common? They both chucked out ash.

6. Dear Iceland, We said send cash, not ash.

7. Woke this morning to find every surface in the house covered in a layer of dust and a foul stench of sulphur in the air.... Yes, I’ve been married to that bone-idle slob for 20 years.
    8. It was the last wish of the Icelandic economy that its ashes were spread all over Europe.
    9. There’s no pleasing the English. The last time they got the Ashes they were over the moon.
    10. Went outside today and got hit by a bag of frozen sausages, a chocolate gateau and some fish fingers. Someone said it's a fallout from Iceland.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18794-blame-the-volcano-trouble-on-sun-and-global-warming.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

Apparently, global warming causes more blocking patterns to develop. This is the same global warming that supposedly caused the very same blocking patterns to be diminished just a few months ago. :rolleyes:

It would be good if it was true though Deep... pushing all the wet and windy mush down to Spain and giving us months of endless sun in the summer.

I've given up on the global warming -v- no global warming, it's like the nutrition industry... full of convoluted nonsense with that many claims and counter claims it's hard to know who to believe. That said I err on the side of it all just being cyclical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Apparently, global warming causes global warming, which has led to a year on year rise in global warming. We all must do our part to combat global warming through global warming initiatives before global warming becomes a global problem for our childrens globe... Warming. :pac:

It would be good if it was true though Deep... pushing all the wet and windy mush down to Spain and giving us months of endless sun in the summer.

I've given up on the global warming -v- no global warming, it's like the nutrition industry... full of convoluted nonsense with that many claims and counter claims it's hard to know who to believe. That said I err on the side of it all just being cyclical.

Yes, global warming supposedly caused the jet stream to push further north. Now, it causes it to push further south. Whatever is convenient for a particular occasion seems to be the sum. Whoever writes this codswallop is doing no favours to the pro debate, which could have some credibility only for this constant junk and misleading information that is continuously being churned out by them.

• Advertisement

How about 'when a dirty ash volcano spews ash over the Artic or Antartic it gets colder' :D Mind you the time series used below includes the Toba supervolcano not some fanny of a yoke in Iceland. The GISP2 record is a Greenland deep ice core .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC404046/
    Periods of more frequent volcanic ash deposits at Siple Dome are generally associated with stadials (colder stages within an overall glacial period) at GISP2.

Furthermore
    If volcanic ash covered a substantial area of snow or ice, this could significantly reduce the surface albedo of that region for a short time and possibly cause melting, in particular, if the eruption occurred in the summer.

The aerosol component of an eruption, resulting mainly from the emission of SO2 and H2S, can remain aloft and potentially force climate on timescales of years, decades, or longer (29).

Volcanic aerosols affect the Earth's radiation balance, principally by reflecting sunlight back into space and cooling the planet. By serving as cloud condensation nuclei, sulfate aerosols are believed to change the microphysical structure, water content, lifetime, and extent of clouds (30).

Not only the type and magnitude but also the location of an eruption are thought to determine its climatic impact

Most especially if Ole Dirty bastard goes pop and tips its ash all over the Artic :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It is the aggression and rudeness, and lack of any sense of humour; will leave him to you men, but if he had been in any of my classes in my teaching days and spoken as he does...;)

what grub are you talking about now..:rolleyes: you only come on to complain.
    oh i see you are a teacher!

Yes, global warming supposedly caused the jet stream to push further north. Now, it causes it to push further south. Whatever is convenient for a particular occasion seems to be the sum. Whoever writes this codswallop is doing no favours to the pro debate, which could have some credibility only for this constant junk and misleading information that is continuously being churned out by them.

I blame the mass media - they are commissioning and publishing the more sensationalist claims in recent years to grab them a bigger audience since their advertising revenues have been decimated by the Internet. Credible onjective journalism and sources seems to have taken a back seat to revenue generating hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Can anyone see any visual evidence of the ash cloud over us at the mo? Here we just have the standard fair weather looking sky with some flattened cumulus although the blue in between does look a bit milky, although that in itself is not out of the norm.
    Thought the sunset yesterday was very orange/red. havent heard other people mention they have seen this even though it was predicited. Could have been a normal one though.

I'm surprised they haven't found a link to GW actually being the cause of the eruption, but give them time!

Meanwhile, it would appear we may need to get used to more activity in the next few decades...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18786-get-ready-for-decades-of-icelandic-fireworks.html

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    I'm surprised they haven't found a link to GW actually being the cause of the eruption, but give them time!

I have heard of "Climate Induced Volcanism" , naturally only when it warms :D

Anyway this is a more likely scenario. Katla ( Ole Dirty Bastard) was the cause of the last kick of the Ice Age called the Younger Dryas. Lets say Katla erupts in April or May ( oops)

Note that a perfect Icelandic Low is prediced along with the Azores High Next week by the GFS ( in the warm weather thread in this forum)

Dust therefore covers Greenland, ice cap melts in high summer sun as the Ice Cap Albedo changes ...even with some dust about still.

Energetic Labrador current cuts off Gulf Stream around Florida, too strong.

Europe is plunged into sudden cooling for years until fresh white snow covers Greenland.

But that will be blamed on global warming for generating a strong Azores high and compressing the Icelandic Low....even though we are all shaggin FREEZING our nads off then even in our perfect green houses coz the heat exchangers no longer work due to permfrost etc :D

Feckin cult I tells yiz :D

Thanks, but I'll still call it Enya if you don't mind!

Click here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well has anyone seen any spectactular sunsets because of the ash ?
    Its been going on a week now the eruptions ,I wonder will the weather start to be affected?

Pangea wrote: »
    Well has anyone seen any spectactular sunsets because of the ash ?
    Its been going on a week now the eruptions ,I wonder will the weather start to be affected?

Saw a couple of sunsets that seemed more rusty orange than usual - tbh normal red sunsets are more spectacular.

Don't know if it will effect the weather - but news is coming in of a giant ash iceberg being spotted off the coast of Donegal. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhhhh forgot i had a load of programmes on volcanos on my t.v :D since we're in the current climate. might as well watch them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Amen to that!:)

Saw a couple of sunsets that seemed more rusty orange than usual - tbh normal red sunsets are more spectacular.

Don't know if it will effect the weather - but news is coming in of a giant ash iceberg being spotted off the coast of Donegal. :eek:

....and is heading straight for Coleraine!

Su Campu wrote: »
    ....and is heading straight for Coleraine!

Latest is it isn't an iceberg afterall - it's just Scotland! ;)

What's the story with BA planes trying to fly into Heathrow??? A few of the Airlines rebelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Latest is it isn't an iceberg afterall - it's just Scotland! ;)

What's the story with BA planes trying to fly into Heathrow??? A few of the Airlines rebelling!
    RTE news says that they don't have permission to land.
    19.05 British officials say BA do not have permission to land planes at Heathrow tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The sunsets that i have been taking pictures of lately seem to be more orange than usual... hopefully wit the high pressure system due to come from the weekend we will see a few more good ones.

Ill be goin to the phoenix park wit my tripod if they keep up.

Ill post a few afterwards if they turn out well :cool:

• Advertisement

Dear god !! look at the BA flight off the coast of mayo... 360 turn and now its heading back out to the Atlantic !! whats going on !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Very interesting development in the Irish Sea over the Isle of Man now. Looks like British Airways flight BAW17V from Denver to Heathrow is going round in circles check it out here http://www.flightradar24.com/. According to Skynews BA had 26 long haul flights due to land in Heathrow tonight but they did'nt get clearance to land them as the skies are still closed. BAW84 has just joined the fun :)

Thats crazy. Did I read somewhere they can land in Shannon if not allowed in London. Though It dodgy landing in Shannon too

It case anyone doesn't know there is a documentary on RTE 2 at the moment about the snow storms of 1962, etc.

Now up to 5 BA jumbos circling over irish sea and west coast !!

irish1967 wrote: »
    Now up to 5 BA jumbos circling over irish sea and west coast !!
    Yeah theres a load of them!

Listening to ATC they are heading for Shannon ! Bring them plans here Willie !! lol :)

And more strangely there's an easyJet on what looks like a drunken walk home from the pub, well below the 20,000ft ceiling, was cruising at 8,000ft a minute ago, now descending. He may be conducting a flight test...

111465.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Vegas to heathrow

111467.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

San Francisco to heathrow

111469.PNG

the graphic that they have for the ash looks like a large flying bird or a sea lizard. :eek:

those flight paths are scaring me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Read on Net Weather that 26 BA long-haul aircraft are heading for UK airspace? Willie challanging the ban???

I know that on RTE news, they were expecting up to 12 BA aircraft before 9pm this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

The British Airways flight off the Isle of Man has gone around in the loop about 5 times

Pilots have told Shannon tower they wish to remain in holding pattern for up to 2 hours on company (BA) instrustions. Obviously waiting to see if they can force BAA etc to open the London airports

I wouldn't be impressed if I were onboard those flights now.

• Advertisement

eek. i would be sick to be honest. theres only so much reading and watching movies i could take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

BAW274 doesn't look as if it has any intention of heading to London.. its altidude is dropping

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I wouldn't be impressed if I were onboard those flights now.

Maybe the planes are empty ??

Looks like the Canadian jumbo is making a break for Heathrow !! Gooooo on ya good thing !! ya

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From BBC:

1832 BA tells the BBC it still plans to land more than a dozen long-haul flights that are currently en route at Heathrow, despite the fact airspace over southern England remains closed. It is unclear what conversations have been taking place between BA and Nats.

Bold bold Willie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Atlanta-Heathrow flight has just been given a new destination ...Luxemburg ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement