Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Latest 6 Hourly Advisory Issued 18:51 21 April

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271872299.png

is the irish airspace still shut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

owenc wrote: »

Some flights coming in but many cancellations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

owenc wrote: »

pay attention, will ya :D
    06.00 Irish airspace has reopened for flight operations after six days of disruption due to a cloud of volcanic ash from Iceland.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0421/travelupdates.html very bottom of the page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Read Met Éireann's updated Volcanic Ash Advisory here.

Also contains a link for the WMO's FAQs on the Eyjafiasco here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

pretty weird sunset here in dundrum (dundrum dublin that is!), it looks very odd but cool :) can anyone else see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

rare sight today here . . .5 contrails in the sky!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

what are we supposed to do with cars again? mine has lots of ash on it and I'm afraid to get it done in the car wash in case the paint gets damaged.

fairly sure it's ash cause it's leaving black drip marks everywhere instead of the usual colour dust!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Elmo5 wrote: »
    what are we supposed to do with cars again? mine has lots of ash on it and I'm afraid to get it done in the car wash in case the paint gets damaged.

fairly sure it's ash cause it's leaving black drip marks everywhere instead of the usual colour dust!

throw water on it I think was what was said! Think it was in the first few pages of this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Cheers rebelgirl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

Bottom one is getting especially wicked. Wonder what that means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

Has the volcano disappeared :p - Take it ash in front blocking. Looks like the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Anyone got a link to Katla cam? Just said on Sky news it could be erupting right now!

Edit - Its not.. just usual Sky News overly dramatic headline sh1te :rolleyes:

Anyone got a link to Katla cam? Just said on Sky news it could be erupting right now!
    I sincerely hope that it isn't!

Would this be it: http://www.ruv.is/katla/

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

All for jokes but that is not funny!!! People have family and friends stuck abroad!

no eruption in katla!

they are looking Enya (whatever its called) from air

All for jokes but that is not funny!!! People have family and friends stuck abroad!

no eruption in katla!

they are looking Enya (whatever its called) from air

Apologies, they did their usual tabloid headline before the ads and I got suckered in. It's not erupting. I'd be worried about the Icelanders nearby if that was the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Apologies, they did their usual tabloid headline before the ads and I got suckered in. It's not erupting. I'd be worried about the Icelanders nearby if that was the case..

you mean you weren't listening ;)

no worries - was just on to sister who is pregnant and stuck in europe. She has a flight in the morning. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

volcanic ash, Flight of terror, on ch5 now..

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

Bottom one is getting especially wicked. Wonder what that means?

Looking at the vertical scales on the LHS, the bottom one is the quietest of all, but yes, it's rising, and in sync with the other others! Getting ready for the next "burp" perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 vrhunski

tremors are now really high and very constant ....

look like we are in cloud right now
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seismic Activity Rising at Katla

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

eyja_trem_eruption.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Seismic Activity Rising at Katla

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

eyja_trem_eruption.png

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

alibabba wrote: »
    :eek:

i assume from your gasp that you understand these hieroglyphics. So, what are the 5 different graphs of precisely? I mean, why not just one! And which frequencies indicate what about the activity!?

May I be allowed to point our resident chart fetishists cum panic merchants to the fact that the page where this graph stems from http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/ does mention Katla in the website name but nowhere on the actual graphs does it say "Katla".
    I don't speak Islandic, but the only volcano they mention in the chart descriptions there is Enya.

May I further point out that there was an article from the Islandic volcanolgists somwhere (no time to search for it now) that did point out that as the eruption changes from ash to magma, the seismic activity would increase. They basically took this to be a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

The charts indicate seismic activity from 5 places around Katla

God = Godabunga
    Esk = Eskri Skogar
    Hvo = Lagu Hvolar
    Mid = Midmork
    Hau = ??

Myrdalsjokull.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i assume from your gasp that you understand these hieroglyphics. So, what are the 5 different graphs of precisely? I mean, why not just one! And which frequencies indicate what about the activity!?

Jesus get off your high horse, it was a simple eek in response to the text "seismic activity rising" and a chart with data points rising, why don't you hve a go at that post?to most people both of those would make you think something is happening, and if you know better why don't you explainthe situation

• Advertisement

Jesus get off your high horse, it was a simple eek in response to the text "seismic activity rising" and a chart with data points rising, why don't you hve a go at that post?to most people both of those would make you think something is happening, and if you know better why don't you explainthe situation rather than be c**k

you, sir, will find that if you read it again, I was the ignorant one asking questions, because i do not know any better. It looked to me like you did.

Jesus get off your high horse, it was a simple eek in response to the text "seismic activity rising" and a chart with data points rising, why don't you hve a go at that post?to most people both of those would make you think something is happening, and if you know better why don't you explainthe situation

Was he/she not just wondering what the charts were about? I'm certainly interested if anyone could explain them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you, sir, will find that if you read it again, I was the ignorant one asking questions, because i do not know any better. It looked to me like you did.

Well I can only apologise! I read it with a heavily sarcastic tone...

Well I can only apologise! I read it with a heavily sarcastic tone...

no worries!! :pac:

moving on, anyone care to tell us lay people what the difference in the seismic frequencies are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

For those wondering, "Hau" on that graph is from a location which is just off the map posted above, to the northwest I think.

• Advertisement

no worries!! :pac:

moving on, anyone care to tell us lay people what the difference in the seismic frequencies are?

Everything you need is on the chart:

"10 minute, median-averaged tremor (vertical component)".
    The measurement is in hertz (as frequency), and the color represent different frequencies. The height of the line shows the vertical displacement of the land mass as per 10 minutes.

Pretty straightforward imho.

OK, what the charts display is one thing, but the real question is,
    What does it mean?
    Does it mean magma is on the move, or that pressure underground is rising/falling.
    Can the readings be used to predict when and how big the next eruption will be.

Those are the real questions to be asking & getting answers for.

/goes to google it.

edit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_of_volcanic_activity#General_principles_of_volcano_seismology

What does it mean?
    Does it mean magma is on the move, or that pressure underground is rising/falling.
    Can the readings be used to predict when and how big the next eruption will be.

Those are the real questions to be asking & getting answers for.

They mean movement of the ground, that can be caused by anything. Mostly magma movement below ground, new eruptions would appear as high spikes (this much we know). But anything can cause ground motion, a big human-made explosion, a meteor hitting the ground etc.
    Of course, in this case (this time) it's mostly magma movement.

Thats pretty clear, yes, but what do the different frequencies mean in terms of eruption? If there's high seismic frequencies does that mean the Katla likely to erupt, or does it simply mean that Enya is doing something?

Edit.. Thanks, see you answered the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/

Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland is slowly settling into a pattern of strombolian-to-surtseyan (depending on meltwater access to the crater) explosions that have been sending ash up to 2-5 km above the summit. We can see this new, more diffuse plume in the recent NASA EO image of the eruption taken April 19. There is still abundant ice to melt at the summit as there have been a number of floods overnight and this morning near the volcano, betraying the continuing production of meltwater by the eruption. The Icelandic Met office points out two important tidbits: (1) Eyjafjallajökull has become to deflate, which might mean less vigorous eruption for the time being and (2) there are no signs of any impending eruption at Katla. Volcanic tremors are also down at Eyjafjallajökull. If you want to see a day's worth of volcanic activity at Eyjafjallajökull in, oh, less than a minute and a half, check out the timelapse video made by Eruptions reader Philipp from the Vodafon webcam on April 20th.

What does it mean?
    Does it mean magma is on the move....

From the Iceland Met Office website :
    seismic tremors indicated that lava flow might have begun in Eyjafjallajökull...

The graphs show average vertical movement per minute for each seismometer, in three frequency ranges (Hz).The vertical axis has the same scale for each station. The main purpose of these graphs is to monitor changes in intensity of seismic wave motion. The absolute value of the scale has no meaning. Many phenomena can influence the intensity, for example wind, ocean waves and traffic. Sometimes floods and volcanic tremor can be detected. Earthquakes appear as spikes on the graphs....

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/englishweb/tremor.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The_Saint

some fairly big pieces of ash falling on west coast of Galway this morning... sporadic though definite ash fall here... sometimes obscures the sun with cloud making it look red... very hazy weather in general yesterday and today... can really see ash in the sky in evening light

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The chart I linked above updates every few minutes. If the seismic means there is more lava and less ash that is good news. Enya and Katla share the same sensor array in a ring around them and the data above comes from that common array which is primarily a Katla sensor array seeing as Katla is historically more of a nuisance than Enya.

The big spike on the left ( the original eruption last week ) was probably when the ice cap on top made contact with rising magma leading to a bang at the beginning. That ice cap has largely melted now.

• Advertisement

Semi-OT ....anyone old enough to remember Heimaey?
    http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/oldroot/volcanoes/volc_images/europe_west_asia/heimaey/heimaey.html

I remember watching that as a kid on the telly ...people fighting the lava flow with pumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Time lapse animation of one day in the life of Eyja!

Current events

Eruption similar - 22 April 2010 11:15

Volcanic tremor increased in the afternoon yesterday but after midnight it decreased again and has been relatively stable since then.

The plume rose up to 3-4 km high yesterday afternoon and seems similar this morning according to IMO's radar.

- http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/1884

Live view of the plume through the clouds here : http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Sorry if they've been posted before but here are some good photos of the volcano and ash cloud. I love the way they generate their own lightning.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

haha just looked at the webcam there a few minutes ago and this woman appeared out of nowhere...frightened the bejaysus out of me :p

kevin12345 wrote: »
    haha just looked at the webcam there a few minutes ago and this woman appeared out of nowhere...frightened the bejaysus out of me :p
    Thats hilarious. Its good way of getting instantly famous. Half world watching it.

Half hidden behind that cloud but the plume is looking good in the evening sunlight right now. Pretty high compared to the last few days :

n3uie1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Half hidden behind that cloud but the plume is looking good in the evening sunlight right now. Pretty high compared to the last few days :

n3uie1.jpg

Definitely the highest its been in a few days, luckily for us the wind is changing to a southerly direction.

• Advertisement

And as the wind changes, Iceland airports due to be closed tomorrow.

Advertisement