Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like Darkman2 was correct, charts look bad for tomorrow evening could close as early as 1pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Thanks where did you get that info?

You can see all the latest charts on http://www.carlowweather.com/wxwarning.php

Noon tomorrow: auto-FL000-200-201005041800-201005051200.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking at the web cam an hour ago , the volcano must of been spewing some amount of ash cloud, visibilty was 0 on the cam.

So now a month after the volcano started problems we are still getting the ash cloud, so now I ask the question, is this likley to cause a change in our weather in anyway in the long term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

nice little plug for the website there villain . . .:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Pity they cant get some sort of super sprayer to wet down the ash like you get on those brick cutting discs.

nice little plug for the website there villain . . .:pac:
    lol true but I don't try to offer anything that isn't avilable elsewhere just try to pool it into one place, someone in Italy just posted a link to my page on an Italian forum got quite a few hits.

Its not as if I get anything out of the site other than satisfaction that others use it, has cost me over €2,000 to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

So my flight to UK is at 1130 tomorrow morning.

Ryanair says:
    Wednesday 5th May: Ryanair is awaiting information from the IAA, CAA and NATS in relation to possible disruptions/cancellations to flights scheduled to operate to/from Scotland, Northern and Southern Ireland tomorrow Wednesday 5th May. Further information will be posted on this page this evening as soon as it becomes available from the above authorities. Passengers scheduled to travel to/from Belfast, Derry, Glasgow Prestwick, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dublin airports tomorrow morning are advised to check this page for updates before travelling to the airport.

It's now 1040pm... Still no update...

They really like to leave people hanging don't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

lads, there is rain coming tomorrow... will that help flights in anyway?? i thought i heard that on the news. is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I think its worse if it rains as the ash will come down and settle on aircraft thats what I heard on the news tonight, its not fair on the public that the IAA wont make a decision until midnight I bet anything flights will be cancelled again.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its not fair on the public that the IAA wont make a decision until midnight.

+1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Airspace over Northern Ireland and Scotland will be closed from 7am tomorrow due to the Icelandic ash cloud, the UK's Civil Aviation Authority has said tonight.

Republic of Ireland airspace remains open but the Irish Aviation Authority is to review the situation overnight. Passengers are still advised to check airline websites.

The CAA said: 'Forecasts show that levels of ash in the atmosphere over Scotland and Northern Ireland will exceed the concentrations that engine manufacturers have agreed are safe for operations.

'Unfortunately, this means that the CAA anticipates all Scottish and Northern Ireland airports will be closed from 07:00 local time tomorrow.'

The CAA said there are concerns that the ash cloud will continue to move south.

Aer Lingus has confirmed that flights scheduled to depart and arrive into Glasgow and Edinburgh from Dublin and Cork have been cancelled up to 1pm tomorrow.

All of its flights to and from Belfast International Airport to the UK and Europe have been cancelled until 1pm.

European flights to and from the Republic and Northern Ireland resumed earlier today following disruption caused by the ash plume.

The IAA took the decision to re-open airspace after reviewing the movement of the ash plume.

Airports in both the Republic and Northern Ireland had been affected.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio, IAA Chief Executive Eamonn Brennan said that the threat of travel disruption would remain for a number of months.

I think its worse if it rains as the ash will come down and settle on aircraft thats what I heard on the news tonight, its not fair on the public that the IAA wont make a decision until midnight I bet anything flights will be cancelled again.
    your dam right there, people who have flights tomorrow , will still have to make the journey down to dublin airport etc. tonight from other parts of ireland , then probably only to find out that there flight was cancelled after all.
    Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    So now a month after the volcano started problems we are still getting the ash cloud, so now I ask the question, is this likley to cause a change in our weather in anyway in the long term?

the link below, which was posted earlier in reponse to the same question i asked, will answer that question for you.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...ano19_CV_N.htm

the link below, which was posted earlier in reponse to the same question i asked, will answer that question for you.

the link is not existent, kind of like the mayo teams all ireland chances lol lol

Sorry had to get it off my chest :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

The requested document was not found. ;)

Wonder how long will it take for the news to come about the airports tomorrow, I could seriously fall asleep right about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Are you serious!? I'm flying out tomorrow and I'd much rather the IAA take the time to make the right decision instead of risking my plane's turbine blades getting coated in molten glass and dropping into the Irish Sea. F*ck that!

Lives over inconvenience!

the link is not existent, kind of like the mayo teams all ireland chances lol lol

Sorry had to get it off my chest :D:D

har har :p

as if Donegal will fare any better... Anyway i can see why you want Katla to go off, so you will have a distraction from the mind-numbing boredom of living in North Donegal. Katla going off is the only hot and steamy action you're ever likely to see senor Pangea :pac:

take 2:
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2010-04-19-1Avolcano19_CV_N.htm

the above link works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Here is the link Nacho posted earlier about effect of the volcano.

Sorry Nacho, your fingers are faster lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Just in
    UPDATE – Restrictions at some irish airports from 0800, Wed 5th May, 2010

Increased volcanic activity was experience in Iceland yesterday Tuesday 4th May 2010 resulting in denser volcanic ash being expelled higher into the atmosphere.

Based on the most recent Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre and Eurocontrol data, restrictions will apply at the following airports from the times indicated.

Donegal - restricted from 0800 hours local until further notice.

Sligo - restricted from 0900 hours local until further notice.

Dublin - restricted from 1100 hours local until further notice.

Ireland West (Knock) - restricted from 1100 hours local until further notice.

Cork, Waterford and Kerry will not have restrictions imposed before 1400 hours local, though restrictions after that point are likely.

No restrictions will apply to Shannon airport or Galway airport until further notice.

A further statement will be issued by 1000 hours local this morning, following the receipt of updated volcanic ash data.

Airline passengers should continue to contact their airline websites to establish the up-to-date position on flight schedules.

ENDS

Media contacts:

Ken Rogan: 086 317 9955

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=891

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhhh my flight is at 4. i knew i should have chosen the 2 o clock one:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    ahhhh my flight is at 4. i knew i should have chosen the 2 o clock one:mad:

My girlfriend is supposed to fly to New York at 1230. She missed the window by an hour and a half :(

I don't know what "restrictions" mean yet, the airline websites update glacially and the we won't know any more till 10am. But it doesn't look good.

har har :p

as if Donegal will fare any better... Anyway i can see why you want Katla to go off, so you will have a distraction from the mind-numbing boredom of living in North Donegal. Katla going off is the only hot and steamy action you're ever likely to see senor Pangea :pac:

take 2:
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2010-04-19-1Avolcano19_CV_N.htm

the above link works for me.
    Thanks for the link, think id rather watch volcanoes than go near those ones in mayo! :D
    Only jokin, I have mayo in my blood . :pac:

755am

No news on Ryanair website.

No news on Dublin Airport website.

AerLingus website about the "Flight Restrictions"
    Consequently passengers are strongly advised to contact their airline or airline’s website BEFORE coming to the airport.

This whiole situation is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

What's the outlook for Thurs and Fri?
    I see the winds are due shift slightly to the east, will this do anything to clear us?

Latest charts show problems for Ireland until at least late Thursday night, if I had to call it I'd say it will be Friday morning at the earliest before flights resume from Dublin

Nacho, that link does nothing to answer my question!
    Ive heard it all before about the laki effects on weather but what about todays volcano!!!
    Plus that link is dated two weeks , shame on you!
    :pac:
    I remember MT Cranium saying if the ash continued then we would be looking at effects on the weather

• Advertisement

Still no news from Ryanairs website and their telephone lines are closed, and their premium number is not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Condra Ryanair's spokesman was just on newstalk, all flights from Dublin are go until 11am and then they have to see about what the iaa say after 4pm.

I'm feeling immensely bitter towards all volcanoes as it cancelled my trip to Rome last time and it's my little sister's 16th birthday today and I swore I'd be in London for her tomorrow. Grrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

someone from IAA on newstalk yesterday morning was saying the volcano had actually stopped erupting, can anyone confirm this?

getting married abroad this summer, starting to get nervous, i'm hoping airports will only close for a few days max at a time under these new regulations so hopefully airports wont be closed for more than 2-3 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

bamboozle wrote: »
    someone from IAA on newstalk yesterday morning was saying the volcano had actually stopped erupting, can anyone confirm this?

getting married abroad this summer, starting to get nervous, i'm hoping airports will only close for a few days max at a time under these new regulations so hopefully airports wont be closed for more than 2-3 days!

Go back to yesterdays posts on this thread, look at the pictures attached. Does that look like a volcano that has stopped errupting !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

09.25 The IAA says that since 16.30 yesterday the volcano in Iceland has expelled denser, coarser ash higher into the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭pauldry

Where are the live pics of the Volcano gone? I dont see anything on the usual website.

It looks bad for Irelands flights Thursday and prob some of Friday then a clearance of ash but dont know for how long that will be. Went to England at weekend and just missed this phew

Also think Im going to start a blog on this thing to keep track of links etc. Only started up so cant type much on it yet coz at work but if ye have any tips let me know.

Me blog is http://www.icelandsvolcanoes.blogspot.com

The reason for the weird name is the others were gone Could have used the E word but who can spell that.:)

• Advertisement

Latest ash forecast : http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1273058580.png

Looks like the restrictions will be extended until tomorrow morning at least based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You cant see the Volcano on any website at present as its blocked out by fog and low cloud

pauldry wrote: »
    Where are the live pics of the Volcano gone? I dont see anything on the usual website.

It's totally obscured in cloud/fog at the moment.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=map

24 earthquakes around Eyjafjallajökull since Monday. There's been nothing like that since April 14th. I've no idea what that signifies but I guess it's another change in the nature of the eruption.

Nacho, that link does nothing to answer my question!
    Ive heard it all before about the laki effects on weather but what about todays volcano!!!
    Plus that link is dated two weeks , shame on you!
    :pac:
    I remember MT Cranium saying if the ash continued then we would be looking at effects on the weather

just because it doesn't correspond with your wishes:p
    it seems fairly clear from the article that barring an eruption of Katla there won't be any significant effect on the climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

just because it doesn't correspond with your wishes:p
    it seems fairly clear from the article that barring an eruption of Katla there won't be any significant effect on the climate.

+1
    Tis hard to please everyone

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1273058580.png

Doesnt the latest readings say that the ash isnt above 200?

Kev. wrote: »
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1273058580.png

Doesnt the latest readings say that the ash isnt above 200?

Yeah, no significant ash above FL200.

That's good news for people flying out let's say....Friday morning at 7.30 ... Right ?

That's good news for people flying out let's say....Friday morning at 7.30 ... Right ?

Haven't seen any ash forecast for Friday yet. I think the reason why there are restrictions at the moment is not because of ash above FL200, it's because of the ash that would be encountered between takeoff and landing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Not when you have to reach FL200 first ;) But from what I heard in the airport today they were expecting a brief break at the weekend, Friday Sunday afternoon. Then more chaos next week.

From the Iceland Met Office today.....
    Magma intrusion - 05 May 2010 13:40

Since Monday 3 May, increased earthquake activity beneath Eyjafjallajökull has been recorded. Precise locations of the earthquakes show that their source is at first very deep, at about 23 km depth, but then migrates upwards. This strongly indicates that “new” magma is intruding into the magma conduit and pushing on the over-lying magma, causing a difference in pressure at the surface. It is therefore anticipated that the eruption will continue at full force in the next days.

Significant changes in horizontal movement at GPS stations around Eyjafjallajökull have been observed in the last 48 hours. Renewed northward displacement is seen at stations BAS2 and STE2, located just north of the ice cap. To the south, westward movement is apparent at THEY (see figure below), while station FIM2 - located further east - shows eastward movement.

The distribution of earthquake activity in the magma conduit could also indicate the location of the magma chamber that has fuelled the eruption since 14 April. It is considered to be at a depth of approx. 3-5 kilometers, in an area where no earthquakes are detected.

T3-2010-1-5may-100505.png

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Looking OK for Operations to Resume from DUB tomorrow morning according to latest charts. No Ash on the Charts from 20,000FT Upwards either...both show zero so pointless posting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Dont know where to ask this now as this thrend is mega hugh lol but will ask anyway.
    My flight for the 22nd april to berlin was cancelled and i requested a refund via an email, received an standard email saying they will get to my refund as soon as possible within 30 days, that was just under 2 weeks ago with air lingus.

Just wondering if anyone has received a refund yet??????????? and if so what airline was it with?

Thanks

RLG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I've to get a bus from Galway at 2030 tonight, is there any way I can be somewhat close to sure that the airport will be open again at 0400?

• Advertisement
Advertisement