Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭drymartini

Heyes wrote: »
    wow whats going on ?!.. could this imply a massive explotion brewing ?

Who knows what mother nature will bring, but theres been another 1.7 quake since my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Looking at the charts http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

it appears that activity is slowing down, with a bit of luck that means that the eruptions will stop soon.

Not necessarily, like look at may 5th it had slowed down - yet the volcano was going crazy from may 5th up until now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Beginning to wonder does the volcano thread even belong on the weather forum since it is having no effect on the weather whatsoever lol.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, like look at may 5th it had slowed down - yet the volcano was going crazy from may 5th up until now :rolleyes:

Working on the principle that the tremors are related to magma flowing into the volcano, the slow down appears to show that the volcano is now "full". After the current phase of eruptions have passed, hopefully it won't be followed by an increase in seismic activity as yet nore magma goes in to replace the stuff just erupted out.

With a bit of luck, it'll just blow this lot out and then rest for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

jd wrote: »

If there is blue over an area will flights still be affected ? Im looking at london particularly at the 11th early morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looking at the charts http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

it appears that activity is slowing down, with a bit of luck that means that the eruptions will stop soon.

Tremor activity is not linked to ash production. The tremors on those graphs usually indicate lava movement which usually happens during a phase of the eruption when the volcano is less explosive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

jd wrote: »

That doesnt match the Met office information at all. Even the current time.
    I would love to believe that, but it seems to be very iffy. It seems to predict the volume of ash coming out of the volcano as well, which is doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hi All,

Is it way too early to know what the ash situation will be like around the 24th of May??

• Advertisement

Spadina wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is it way too early to know what the ash situation will be like around the 24th of May??

Yeah its way too early to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah its way too early to know.

Is it literally a day by day thing, wait and see what volcano does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

According to the animated GIF above, we are under red cloud (1000 - 4000, is it ppl?) tomorrow morning. I have a 6:40 am flight to catch to London, and Dublin Airport hasn't updated their page since 7am!! And AirFrance/CityJet hasn't posted anything either. Should I be worried? Anyone know when is the next update from DAA?

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/some-irish-airports-to-close-456976.html
    Dublin, Cork and Waterford airports will be open until at least 1pm tomorrow while Shannon Airport will remain open until 7am.

That animated gif is not accurate, its only a prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

positron wrote: »
    According to the animated GIF above, we are under red cloud (1000 - 4000, is it ppl?) tomorrow morning. I have a 6:40 am flight to catch to London, and Dublin Airport hasn't updated their page since 7am!! And AirFrance/CityJet hasn't posted anything either. Should I be worried? Anyone know when is the next update from DAA?

Thanks a million!

If you are on Facebook then join the official Cityjet group. They post regularly about the volcanic ash and cancelled flights. They update a LOT more than the DAA.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Restrictions on the irish airports closed since 3pm today, Donegal,Knock etc to be lifted at 6am.

• Advertisement

This is how she looks at the moment:

m9njw5.jpg

Wind is a bit stronger than yesterday so the plume is pushed sideways more and not quite getting to the same height as it did yesterday, but still lots of ash going up there.

There is speculation from people who have been watching the thermal camera that a second vent is now also erupting but cloud is blocking the view so its hard to know if this is a new vent or if its even true at all. Hopefully will get a view later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Anyone got any idea what's going to happen for Tuesday? I'm supposed to be flying to Germany. If not it's looking like get the train and ferry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Looks like the volcano travel forum should be opened again....

Some good pics :

IMG_2514_2.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7QRG2&Expires=1273440642&Signature=zwJUbWH220uLUVAFdFWybEw%2FPtQ%3D

IMG_2502.jpeg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7QRG2&Expires=1273440682&Signature=Xz4LHJa69FPO%2BtYP%2Buv%2Fi7Da%2Bv4%3D

at 21.15 May 9 2010

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

wind is going to change to north west coupled with second vent opened and ash has gone bananas again ,

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Dublin/Dublin/

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

we're doomed :)

22.10 9 May 2010

Now that the clouds have cleared I'm not sure about a second vent, can't see any evidence of one at the moment.

Great views on the webcams now with the sun setting.

I love this long distance view :

http://www.mulakot.net/images/myndavelar/14flugv.jpg

tonight, there should be good viewing on the cam
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

At dusk now, the glow of the eruption is becoming visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

there's something mesmerising about this volcano. You can see magma/lava glowing at the moment. Can anyone explain what we're looking at exactly on the infrared webcam? What the different colours signify? I was watching a few days ago and two figures appeared. It was pretty cool. I took a screen grab but am not sure how to attach it to a post :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

M.Pool wrote: »
    there's something mesmerising about this volcano. You can see magma/lava glowing at the moment. Can anyone explain what we're looking at exactly on the infrared webcam? What the different colours signify? I was watching a few days ago and two figures appeared. It was pretty cool. I took a screen grab but am not sure how to attach it to a post :(

upload it to imgur.com and post the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

watching the webcam now. the lava spewing up looks cook

23.37 - May 9 2010

It's really kicking off now :eek:

flirej.jpg

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It's really kicking off now :eek:

Screen shot 11.43 - 9 May 2010

Just a question.
    Does everyone on this thread want me to keep posting these screenshots from the cams?
    I'm in New Zealand, its 11.56am Monday Morning 10 May, so its easy for me to post screen shots while those in Europe sleep.

• Advertisement

drymartini wrote: »
    Just a question.
    Does everyone on this thread want me to keep posting these screenshots from the cams?
    I'm in New Zealand, its 11.56am Monday Morning 10 May, so its easy for me to post screen shots while those in Europe sleep.
    That would be geart :)

the main eruption. Havent spotted that before.

its got violent again ,safe to say another full scale eruption is imminent

the main eruption. Havent spotted that before.

Thats the lava flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It looks very active tonight indeed!

volcano.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

23.37 - May 9 2010

Is it dangerous to be so relatively close to it. Not from lava flows but would the air be toxic? From sulphur etc. When the volcano is active. May be stupid question, but I have no idea.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Is it dangerous to be so relatively close to it. Not from lava flows but would the air be toxic? From sulphur etc. When the volcano is active. May be stupid question, but I have no idea.

The wind is blowing the other way away from this cam ,wouldnt be nice living on the other side of volcano tonight id say .Sulphur can burn lungs and mixed with rain turns to sulphuric acid so the old 10 jeep would need to be in garage or underground :) Just speculating i'm open to correction .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Queen-Mise wrote: »

On a smaller scale it's probably like looking at a fire but make sure the wind is blowing the smoke away from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

One of the only people on this world I really dislike is meant to be flying to Spain tommorrow. I pray their flight get cancelled. God I'm a tosser.

• Advertisement

theyll get there but theyll be stranded possibly :)

1.45 - 10 May 2010

Is that steam from a lava flow or another opening ?

1.49 - 10 May 2010

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Is that steam from a lava flow or another opening ?

Pass lol

Its a pity the cam isnt tilted up a tad so we could see more of the main eruption and ash cloud.

2.43 - 10 May 2010

• Advertisement

3.20 - 10 May 2010

3.55 - 10 May 2010

4.30 - 10 May 2010

5.25 - 10 May 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

2.43 - 10 May 2010
    Thanks for the all the snaps ,gives us a good summary of its activity.
    That looks like a 2nd opening there anyways , whatever that means scientifically i dunno :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement