Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

noticed that. considerably so as well. same levels as during the last eruption at eyjafjallajokull in early May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

not much to :eek: about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

alibabba wrote: »
    not much to :eek: about

agreed other than the activity for the first time is under Katla, previously it was elsewhere but felt under Katla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

ch750536 wrote: »

From the linked page:-
    Katla is NOT erupting and there are NO indications that Katla is about to erupt. Information on this page is for the Eyjafjallajökull eruption

From the linked page:-
    Katla is NOT erupting and there are NO indications that Katla is about to erupt. Information on this page is for the Eyjafjallajökull eruption

And won't be for the foreseeable future! (hopefully)

• Advertisement

And won't be for the foreseeable future! (hopefully)
    why do you believe it will not erupt in the near future?

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    why do you believe it will not erupt in the near future?

Put simply, there is very little movement there.

If there was going to be an eruption, the magma would be on the move and pressing on to the underside of the volcano and causing a large number of tremours.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/atlantic/

plenty of rumblings, albeit small, in last 48 hrs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Everybody Chill, again

eyja_trem_eruption.png

Everyone is chillin.:) We are observing.

Notice anythin different about this picture?

yep. While eyjafjallajokull is completely quiet for the first time in a long time, there is a lot of activity under the glacier where Katla is.

By the way, it is quite annoying when someone tells you to chill. I am perfectly chilled;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭drymartini

What are we looking at here?

from the Heklubyggð webcam

wow drymartini. that is new

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-hvolsvelli/

it was showing no signs of spewing ash or emitting steam last night. a big development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You must be kidding me. I'm scheduled fly home from Germany tomorrow. It's dejavue. I'm sure nothing will stop planes though, I hope.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    You must be kidding me. I'm scheduled fly home from Germany tomorrow. It's dejavue. I'm sure nothing will stop planes though, I hope.
    it looks like steam only. it would also take some time to push SE if it was ash as the winds are coming from a westerly to sw direction. they are not expected to come from the n-nw for at least five days. so you are ok

it looks like steam only. it would also take some time to push SE if it was ash as the winds are coming from a westerly to sw direction. they are not expected to come from the n-nw for at least five days. so you are ok
    Phew. I'd go absolutely mental if I got stuck here once again. I've spent in total about 6 weeks in Germany in total the last year...I can't take anymore of it!

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Phew. I'd go absolutely mental if I got stuck here once again. I've spent in total about 6 weeks in Germany in total the last year...I can't take anymore of it!
    dig a tunnel and make for the swiss border

119606.jpg

a still image on the cams that must have been frozen by the webcam people for awhile.
    But to me it looks like fresh activity.
    That's why I asked "what are we looking at?.
    Looks only like steam tho at the moment.
    Maybe its just having a burp, or its got a bit of morning sickness.

it's intensifying as well by the looks of it. could be a 'burp' but the spurts in activity since may 20 have not been anything close to this. Cloud is getting darker too. Strange that no tremor activity is being recorded around the volcano

• Advertisement

it's intensifying as well by the looks of it. could be a 'burp' but the spurts in activity since may 20 have not been anything close to this. Cloud is getting darker too. Strange that no tremor activity is being recorded around the volcano
    I noticed that too

119608.jpg

STORY FROM 9AM ICELANDIC TIME (note - plume has darkened since this story)
    A three-kilometer high cloud of steam is now extending out of the volcanic crater on Eyjafjallajökull glacier. It can clearly be seen from Hvolsvöllur and other locations in south Iceland. It can also be seen on Míla’s webcam.

Sigthrúdur Ármannsdóttir, a geographer at the Icelandic Meteorological Office, told ruv.is that there is a lot of water in the crater and heat underneath.

However, there is no ash in the cloud; it is completely white. The weather conditions make the steam clearly visible.

There are no earthquakes in the area and nothing indicates that volcanic activity is resuming. It is therefore not believed that Eyjafjallajökull is about to erupt again.

little tremor activity to report. as far as i can tell the steam/ash plume remains. increased activity online as well about what is happening but no solid evidence of an imminent significant eruption.

only small tremors recorded in past 48 hrs
    Size Time Quality Location 1.8 07 Jul 14:05:02 Checked 2.2 km WSW of Krýsuvík 1.7 07 Jul 16:58:23 Checked 4.9 km NE of Bárðarbunga 1.6 08 Jul 08:49:16 Checked 8.8 km SE of Flatey 1.5 07 Jul 17:15:25 Checked 37.0 km WNW of Kópasker 1.4 08 Jul 03:41:57 Checked 2.4 km NNE of Herðubreið 1.2 08 Jul 21:02:27 Checked 2.0 km SW of Krýsuvík

nice view of the volcano for these two.
    119622.jpg

ALL QUIET AGAIN.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ALL QUIET AGAIN.

GOOD.

SHHHH! don't wake it up again! ;)

Spot the rainbow

that not an ashbow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Scroll down to the third picture its been very quite for some time now but looks like its getting active again.

http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

Looks like some steam. tremor activity minimal around the site
    http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull

119851.jpg

It appears that the steam appears to be coming from two seperate fissures/cratersm, whereas it always has been the one point. Pics taken at 1040GMT.
    119858.jpg
    119859.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

I know that some of the these dots are blue, but that's the most earthquakes that I've seen around Katla...

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

I'm not freaking out, am just saying ;)

Small rumble at the centre of the volcao today
    100713_0935.png

all is quiet at Eyjafjallajökull
    120447.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Damn Eyjafjallajökull and Katla.

Am I bad for wanting a bit of volcanic excitement to take my mind off bills, bank letters, cooking, cleaning etc?

That would be a good question in a pub quiz. Spell Eyjafjalllajökull. I wonder how many people type it and how many cut and paste.

I wonder how many people type it and how many cut and paste.

c&p for me. Why couldn;t it be Mount Etna. So much easier:D

Katla rolls off the fingertips much more easily. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Without looking at it . . .eyjafjalljokull???

Edit: damn, forgot an a!!!

• Advertisement

Give it some of this
    GavisconCoolTablets.jpg

But seriously, it could be the first sign of something brewing.
    What's the time lag between previous eruptions, between the two volcanoes?

What exactly does all this tremor activity mean though, WolfeIre? Is it looking likely that there may be an eruption or is it something that was always happening and it's just that more notice is taken of it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

In fairness though thats for the entire island of Iceland which is always very active. I wouldn't expect a new eruption unless I saw swarms of dozens of quakes per day locked into one particular area.

Yes Mike. And magnitude 4.1 quake recorded in last half hour. largest in many weeks.

MagnitudeML 4.1RegionICELAND REGION

Date time2010-07-23 08:38:23.4 UTCLocation66.66 N ; 18.00 WDepth13 kmDistances334 km NE Reykjavík (pop 113,906 ; local time 08:38 2010-07-23)
    108 km N Akureyri (pop 16,563 ; local time 08:38 2010-07-23)
    69 km NE Siglufjörður (pop 1,391 ; local time 08:38 2010-07-23)

100723_0905.png

100723_0905.png

That is some swarm. While it does not necessarily indicate that an eruption is imminent in the Iceland region, it certainly is one to note.

In fairness though thats for the entire island of Iceland which is always very active. I wouldn't expect a new eruption unless I saw swarms of dozens of quakes per day locked into one particular area.
    looks like that's happening now.

tremor measurements for the area
    gri.gif

Another sizeable shudder to the north of the island. In fact, at same location as Friday's 4 magnitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

An underwater atlantic ash volcano is yer only man :cool:

Screen shot from the Mulakot cam this morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement