Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

In comparison with the recent events in Japan, it's nothing more than a few tremors! ;)

But, who knows when it'll "wake up!"

All quiet on the Northern Front, huh??

Guess Katla still has six months before disproving the historical record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭drymartini

Multitude of earthquakes across Iceland right now.
    I've attached a screen shot showing locations

drymartini wrote: »
    Multitude of earthquakes across Iceland right now.
    I've attached a screen shot showing locations

Just in time for rapture day :);)

BreakingNews Breaking News
    More on Iceland volcano: White plume up to 18,000 feet seen; officials don't expect a repeat of last year's ash cloud problems - NBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Likely to be a problem with ash???

edit: saw above post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

That's some amount of earthquakes, hope this doesn't wake Katla

its already spurred 50 quakes. :eek:

Jake1 wrote: »
    its already spurred 50 quakes. :eek:

OMG, :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Check out the ash cloud on satellite

http://sat24.com/

564367.jpg

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see what the next few days bring.
    edit: at least with the current weather patterns, the plume will stay well north of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Seems like they may be expecting some ash...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/vaacuk.html

I have a flight tomorrow morning and last time this happened I got stuck in Paris for a few days. Good timing on my part it seems.

TimTim wrote: »
    Seems like they may be expecting some ash...

I have a flight tomorrow morning and last time this happened I got stuck in Paris for a few days. Good timing on my part it seems.

You're OK (at the moment) that is only for the Icelandic area, looking at the weather map it's going northwest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

120km no fly zone declared around it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ash cloud is moving south and has reached an altitude of 45000ft which may affect transatlantic traffic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Winds are forecast northerly in Iceland for the next 3 days. Obama will be trapped :D

Copied from twitter

Icelandic Civil Defense has warned UK authorities that they may get #ash from #grimsvotn into their airspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Late to the party. :(

Grímsvótn cam but I can't get it to work. Probably too many people trying to access it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Plume reported to be reaching 20km now.

Grimsvatnagos_210511_1.jpg

Jon Frimann is reporting the Icelandic media as saying the ash plume is the highest since the Hekla eruption of 1947 and the eruption itself may be larger than Eyjafjallajökull in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just to put things into perspective a possible volcano ash cloud heading our way and 120km plus winds for Obamas visit. :D

Holy crap, looking at the weather radar it looks like the plume is almost reaching 30km! :eek:

max_480.max_dBZ_201105220205.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

Great...! Flying home from Oz for three weeks on Thursday. Just what I needed... :mad::(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Not really making the news yet, one report from bbc here, they don't seem to be too concerned at this stage. To my untrained eye it looks like the jetstream is right over Iceland on Thursday and snaking down over Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 The Stand Side

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/volcano/public/eurasia.html

Looking like a fairly disruptive event! I see we have northern winds forecast fot Thursday 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Stand Side

303617979.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1306054688&Signature=lkzA%2Fk%2B4uAb025WqIdXGirBvqYA%3D

Latest ash distribution forecast

VMA05_ASH_CONC_FL000-200DT201105220300VT201105220600IT220600_T000.PNG

Looking at Jon Frimann's helicorder, the tremors have really increased there in the past couple of hours.

http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/tremoren.htm

Stunning pic :

21volcano-pic-articleLarge.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmm, make of this what you will, just saw it as a comment from Frimann's blog :

From other forum, but it’s interesting: However we just had an extra news bulletin 10 minutes ago. A veteran pilot who has flown over 23 volcanic eruptions here has just said he has never seen such a big eruption. His grandparents lived through Katla and he imagines that this might be similar.

Jon himself has commented :

They did say on Rúv News that this eruption was about 10x larger the Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption in the year 2010.

Reuters :

Iceland volcano ash could reach Northern Scotland by midday Tuesday if eruption continues at same intensity - Met officials

Ash could reach other parts of UK, western France, northern Spain by Thursday/Friday if no let-up - Met officials

Anyone got an update on this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Ash from the Grimsvotn Volcano is typically coarser than Eyjafjallajökull according to the BGS and shouldn't have as far a dispersal range. Saying that with the winds we are due anything's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/#

Volcanic ash layer is back on radar virtuel, more detailed this time showing the current height of of ash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Some interesting photos;

bilde?Site=XZ&Date=20110522&Category=FRETTIR01&ArtNo=110529730&Ref=AR&NoBorder

bilde?Site=XZ&Date=20110522&Category=FRETTIR01&ArtNo=110529712&Ref=AR&NoBorder

bilde?Site=XZ&Date=20110522&Category=FRETTIR01&ArtNo=110529717&Ref=AR&NoBorder

564408.jpg

564428.jpg

564455.jpg

bilde?Site=XZ&Date=20110522&Category=FRETTIR01&ArtNo=110529711&Ref=AR&NoBorder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I think its time to deploy James May to Iceland to correct the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

so ireland is gonna be spared from this?? at the same time very glad i didnt book that flight to england this week. i dont think i could handle another will i get there or not situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    so ireland is gonna be spared from this?? at the same time very glad i didnt book that flight to england this week. i dont think i could handle another will i get there or not situation.

I was in the same boat this time last year except it would see me losing out a once in a lifetime RTW trip that cost €2k for flights alone and I had a backup contingency plan with ferries and trains etc. to get me as far east as possible and fly on then, eventually though the eruption stopped and I got to go on my trip during July when it was all over.

Thing is with these eruptions they could last months and you are at the mercy of the prevailing wind, research since 2010's eruption has also proven that grounding planes was the right decision, so if it does plume over Europe it will lead to more chaos and empty airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

Can someone please post a link to a site for the lastest and greatest info on this madness.....

Cheers..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

OK - drop in here every day to get MTs forecast and see whats happening.

I could do with some advice - due to fly to Edinburgh on Friday and back Monday and a little concerned about this eruption and the current wind conditions.

Looks like the wind may be North Westerly towards the end of the week as this currrent low moves through but I am no expert.

I have just looked at ferries from Larne and wondering if I should book, fast one suits time wise but will sea conditions be rough and prohibit sailing.

Anybody have any idea of how this will develop and what my best plan would be?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Going on honeymoon to california monday.. After rebooking from orginally going to Japan... This bleedin thing better behave itself..

VAG_1306129365.png

Proper pronunciation of Grímsvötn.

The í in Grímsvötn is pronounced like the ee in green and the ö is pronounced like the ur in murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

this is unreal .. last year my flight to canada was delayed and then took a very long weird path because of the volcano... and now again, i'm meant to fly to canada tomorrow morning and there's another freakin volcano eruption! i hope the ash cloud stays away for at least 24hrs!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

in terms of the graphic which bit signals no fly? Is the the red, blue or green?

can someone explain the whole graphic thing please:)

A few hundred kilos of artic char were killed as result of the ash at a fish farm.
    They are warning people with respiratory illnesses to stay indoors.
    Strong eruptions to continue over next few days.

Officials at the European Union now say that the the ash could enter British and Irish airspace today or tomorrow while the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said there was a “possibility” of disruption to air travel tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Latest chart showing ash over Ireland by tomorrow morning at flight level 200, but I dunno if it will be enough to cause any disruption to air traffic here.

VAG_1306151334.png

Advertisement