Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

Sundy wrote: »
    in terms of the graphic which bit signals no fly? Is the the red, blue or green?

can someone explain the whole graphic thing please:)
    Each of the colours represents an area at risk at a particular altitude, red for example is below 20,000 ft, green 20,000-35,000ft and blue is 35,000-55,000ft so it's possible to fly at 30,000ft in a red area.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Has there been any longer term prediction for ash fall? Im flying to the states on saturday and just wondering how its looking so far for that day?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Has there been any longer term prediction for ash fall? Im flying to the states on saturday and just wondering how its looking so far for that day?

Thanks!

The weather is currently very damp so I dont see it as any major concern. Most ash will just be soaked off to the ground. Another factor is the wind direction which indicates a slight shift to a more westerly direction, so I'd take those graphs above with a pinch of salt.

We'll be grand!

any other drivers think the rain is leaving dirt on windscreens ? Maybe ash? Surely its not this far already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Gah, due to fly to the States on Friday week and have to go via London:mad:.

Out of interest do they ever re route trans atlantic flights directly across the Atlantic rather than over the pole in cases such as this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Gah, due to fly to the States on Friday week and have to go via London:mad:.

Out of interest do they ever re route trans atlantic flights directly across the Atlantic rather than over the pole in cases such as this?

They often route flights on a far more southerly route across via the Azores for flights from Spain and Portugal, I reckon the airlines would probably do this if the airport was open eg. leave Heathrow, fly south and turn west across the atlantic to avoid the Ash cloud, the ash cloud at the moment is right in the middle of the route to America for Irish planes heading westward, as they often fly up towards Iceland, across by Southern Greenland and down by New Foundland in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

It looks like a sickle trying to decapitate my holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Flying from Dublin to Faro early Thursday morning. Hope to god im not affected.

The news stations dont seem to bothered by it which is strange.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Flying from Dublin to Faro early Thursday morning. Hope to god im not affected.

The news stations dont seem to bothered by it which is strange.

They have probably been to Faro before.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

Flying from Dublin to London at 6.25am and coming back same day at 8.15pm,

would anyone know the likely hood of airport being closed either side, and be

stuck in London, thanks. I hadn't planned in bringing a change of clothes but

not sure now, the fact the president might be leaving Ireland early, because

of this ash cloud has got me thinking.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Flying Dublin to Malaga Thursday morning, worried about this... Should I be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Flying Dublin to Malaga Thursday morning, worried about this... Should I be?

Euronews are saying some ash will be in Irish airspace tomorrow but you should be ok

http://www.euronews.net/2011/05/23/uk-warns-of-disruption-from-icelandic-ash-cloud/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

There was a light deposit of grey dirt on my windscreen and bonnet when leaving work which wasn't there on the way in this morning, I'm pretty sure low levels of ash have arrived already.

Darwin wrote: »
    There was a light deposit of grey dirt on my windscreen and bonnet when leaving work which wasn't there on the way in this morning, I'm pretty sure low levels of ash have arrived already.

I posted this earlier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72375671&postcount=2473

Happened me around 4pm driving home. It was a red brownish type thing

Aer Lingus cancels 12 flights to Scotland tomorow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jake1 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus cancels 12 flights to Scotland tomorow

Not surprising to be honest. All other airlines flying into Scottish Airspace will probably end up doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭properbo

whats the reality of flying? and if so whats the chances of even getting back a week later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

There are excellent real-time images of the movement of the ash cloud available here

Ash.gif

* The ash is the reddish/purple colour

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

yep my car is covered in grey sand too :(
    I had cleaned it an all today!

illumin wrote: »
    yep my car is covered in grey sand too :(
    I had cleaned it an all today!

Same here, but a heavy shower cleaned it all off for me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

Is the volcano still erupting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

paddy power has a book open on dates that airports will be closed , anyone reckon dublin will be shut in the next few days ?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

nice video of eruption here , great lightning
    http://vimeo.com/24084400

At this stage of the game I think trying to predict what will happen any more than a few hours ahead seems impossible as regards travel plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

my west facing kitchen window looked filthy in the low evening sun after been lashed by squally showers today.

Mila cam is running again.

http://live.mila.is/grimsvotn2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Some amazing shots of the eruption from up close to the vent from the ground/ice.

http://www.visir.is/album/20110523/FRETTIR/523009992

I can't find words to describe what the ash clouds in 26 and 29 remind me of but wow (and that's a word I hate using). :D

Some amazing shots of the eruption from up close to the vent from the ground/ice.

http://www.visir.is/album/20110523/FRETTIR/523009992

I can't find words to describe what the ash clouds in 26 and 29 remind me of but wow (and that's a word I hate using). :D

Ive just been looking at same thing, my toes curled :)
    Amazing shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Amazing pics, they look a lot like mammatus clouds in those two pics, the lightning ones are amazing as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Jake1 wrote: »
    Mila cam is running again.

http://live.mila.is/grimsvotn2/

Earthquake happening right now? :eek:

Stevek101 wrote: »

It isn't unusual to have earthquakes occuring around erupting volcanos. I think they have a different cause to 'regular' earthquakes however.

Stevek101 wrote: »

No, it's just the wind. If the ground was shaking that much and for that long I'd imagine the only reason for it would that be that the earth was shaking under the hoof beats of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Volcanic ash collection help required
    Ash collection from the Grímsvötn volcano eruption

Dr Sue Loughlin talks about the ash collection from the 2010 eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano and BGS volcano monitoring.
    Interested in volcanoes and want to help research carried out by the BGS and UK universities?
    Collecting samples of volcanic ash can be very simple and helps to provide information on the distribution of the ash fall.
    You will need some sticky tape, scissors, an old book or magazine and a sheet of plain white office paper.
    Open the book, stick the end of the tape to the edge of the page, close the book and fold the tape around the book (sticky side out), cut the tape and stick the end to another page of the book.
    Put the book outside, preferably somewhere high-up (away from surface blown dust and trees) — a car roof is ideal.
    Leave the book outside for a day or so, or until the ash fall period is over.
    Put a strip of office paper over the tape and label it with your town, postcode, start date & time and end date & time.
    Add your email address if you would like to find out what we learned from the samples.
    Remove the tape and send to:
    Grímsvötn ash sample
    British Geological Survey
    Murchison House
    West Mains Road
    Edinburgh, EH9 3LA
    Contact
    Contact Dr Sue Loughlin for further information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

my west facing kitchen window looked filthy in the low evening sun after been lashed by squally showers today.

Same with my car windsreen and just got off the phone to someone else who had the same experience - looked like a whitish smutty substance:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

There was a dark grey deposit on my car at 10pm that wasn't there this morning but with all the wind about it could have come from anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

How likely/unlikely is it that i will be able to fly to NY in a weeks time?

How likely/unlikely is it that i will be able to fly to NY in a weeks time?

We'll let you know in about six days. :D

It's impossible to answer that question at the moment. Maybe closer to the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 greengurll

UK and parts of Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway might get affected by ash this afternoon - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1306194460.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The ash cloud is clearly visible over Scotland this morning

ywKkGH95KmHH4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

heres the latest from this morning
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1306215801.png

All UK (i.e. gb+Northern Ireland) , low countries and northern germany to get a smattering of ash cloud.

Ireland though to remain outside the computer modelled zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

I'm flying to Holland tomorrow (for the tulips) and seriously can't
    deal with the will it won't it wreck my buzz question! Its so close
    but at the same time its just far enough away. Like a nuclear
    tipped ship to ship buzz seeking missile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Due to fly to Paris tomorrow morning (6am flight) and onwards to San Francisco from there a few hours later - fingers crossed at this point!!! I'm guessing at as long as Dublin Airport isn't closed by midnight tonight we'll be ok, as they don't seem to make big decisions until 8am or 9am each morning and we'll be long gone by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

http://www.flightradar24.com Flightradar24 have Ireland completely covered in a layer of ash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Mostly only low concentrations of ash forecast to be over Ireland and only up to FL200.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/volcano/public/eurasia.html

(Subject to change of course!)

Going to Heathrow from Dublin on Thursday morning,really hope everyone makes their flights.Its amazing,we booked this short break to London in January and as soon as we are about to go this happens ggggrrrrr!:(

Mostly only low concentrations of ash forecast to be over Ireland and only up to FL200.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/volcano/public/eurasia.html

(Subject to change of course!)

I don't really understand those maps, is the ash cloud constantly advancing and retreating or are the different maps representing different layers?

I don't really understand those maps, is the ash cloud constantly advancing and retreating or are the different maps representing different layers?

The charts are showing ash concentrations at 3 different heights at 6am, 12pm, 6pm and 12am.

Tremors seem to be increasing over the past couple of hours on Frimanns helicorder.

http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/tremoren.htm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Woke up to find a layer of dirty grime on our apartment windows. Looks horrible!

Ash forecast animation :

http://transport.nilu.no/browser/fpv?fpp=conccol_VO_1_

Thursday doesn't look good for Ireland at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement