Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Took this one just outside Galway City earlier:

volcanic-ash.jpg

and then I ran!

I thought you said it was a cold winter down there....those palm trees would suggest global warming may be happening afterall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Its half ten at night. How will i take pic of ash on car. Look i'm telling ye straight, there is a light cover of ash on the windows and roof of my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    I dont know how people down south and in the south of england are reporting ash when according to the sat the cloud isnt even in england yet people must be seeing things? or am i looking at wrong thing.

Yeah your probably seeing things, Like the clyde bridge:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    I thought you said it was a cold winter down there....those palm trees would suggest global warming may be happening afterall!

No mon, they grow coz of da sweet Caribbean flows,yah?. smoking-dope-019.gif

and ting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Nothing to do with the plume direction though. Flights will go from NI to Scotland from 1AM and the plume is moving eastwards according to Eurocontrol.

As time goes on it appears the 1PM deadline will allow people to fly. How limited that is we don't know. My flight is booked for 8:40PM but I could be put into a lengthy queue with the backlog.
    LookingFor wrote: »
    How does that work anyway? Are you sure you'd be bumped for other passengers? Do passengers who had flights cancelled not have to take the next available seat? Your booked seat isn't available to them...I don't think.
    +1 for what LookingFor said. Dont they generally fit the backlog passengers around the sceduled flights of the day
    alibabba wrote: »
    Its half ten at night. How will i take pic of ash on car. Look i'm telling ye straight, there is a light cover of ash on the windows and roof of my car.
    Maybe you should clean your car more often then :)

• Advertisement

alibabba wrote: »

I have to admit that this evening my car in mayo is covered in fine grey stuff. Yes it could be ash or it could be just general dust.

Perhaps we may be lucky and be all "Dusted" in tommorrow and we wont have to go to work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    Yeah your probably seeing things, Like the clyde bridge:D
    naw I canny because it's too dark and hazy I can only kintyre today!

snaps wrote: »
    I have to admit that this evening my car in mayo is covered in fine grey stuff. Yes it could be ash or it could be just general dust.

Perhaps we may be lucky and be all "Dusted" in tommorrow and we wont have to go to work!

I am not sure. There was an awful lot of smoke passing by here today and this evening from bog fires around the place. Maybe this is the cause of the "white ash" as opposed to something more dramatic?

I am not sure. There was an awful lot of smoke passing by here today and this evening from bog fires around the place. Maybe this is the cause of the "white ash" as opposed to something more dramatic?

Possibly mate! You never know i dont think we are anywhere near the airflow from Iceland yet? Wait till saturday and we might be?

Took this one just outside Galway City earlier:

volcanic-ash.jpg

and then I ran!

:D:D:D

You sure thats not Coleraine area? Could be wrong but that looks like one of those N Derry/Antrim storm clouds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

This animation shows the current path of the plume nicely:

http://www.eumetsat.int/Home/index.htm

(click play button on first image)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

That advisory is a wee bit old now...there's a new one due at midnight I think.

This video has some new commentary from the UK Met Office's dispersal scientist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8623879.stm

He points at the volcano and its persistence as the key factor over the next days rather than changes in airflow...he says while some wind change is expected, the overall general flow will likely keep dust coming down over the UK if the volcano keeps spewing it. The path of the dust is split, some heading east of the UK, and some down over the UK.

edit - also, Belgium has extended its flight ban til 6pm tomorrow at least. It doesn't necessarily point to what'll happen here or in the UK but it's the farthest anyone's extended their grounding so far:

http://news.ph.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4031555

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

irish1967 wrote: »
    I am sure someone is checking. If memory serves me right they proved that during the 9/11 shutdown global warming went into reverse for a the short period of time that the planes were grounded.

Well it will be interesting to see if anyone took the initiative. I don't think there could be a more opportune time to do it. Whether those observing it will release the findings is another question!

Shannon and Cork are back in business:

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=861
    The Irish Aviation Authority has announced that it is lifting restrictions, with immediate effect, on flights to and from the State airports at Cork and Shannon and some of the regional airports.

However, as the latest reports from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre in London indicate that the ash cloud is still over the east coast, the restrictions will remain in force at Dublin airport until, at least, 11 am on Friday, 16th April. Restrictions also remain in force in large parts of the UK and Northern Europe.

This decision is based on the predicted path of the ash plume which shows a move to the east and south of Ireland. This will allow transatlantic flights and internal flights to take off and land at Shannon.

Mr. Donie Mooney, Director of Operations at the Irish Aviation Authority said that the Authority is satisfied that it is safe to fly to and from the State airports/regional airports on the western coast.

"We will continue to closely monitor the weather and once it is safe to fly into the east coast we will lift the restrictions at Dublin Airport when it is deemed safe to do so. We advise anybody booked on flights tomorrow to check with their airlines on a regular basis.

"Our priority is the safety of the pilots, crews and passengers on all flights. So we will not lift restrictions until we are satisfied that it is 100% safe to fly," he said.

The IAA will provide an update on the restrictions after 11 am on Friday, 16th April 2010.

If the ash is going to be off the south coast tomorrow as per those forecasts, though, I wonder if Cork will remain safe for long...at least for southbound flights.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

LookingFor wrote: »
    If the ash is going to be off the south coast tomorrow as per those forecasts, though, I wonder if Cork will remain safe for long...at least for southbound flights.

I doubt it - they'll try and clear some backlog, but if there is any risk, even minimal they'll probably close it again. Better to be safe than sorry imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Some nice pics here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8623950.stm

Ash starting to reach ground level across northern Britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

vibe666 wrote: »
    the last couple of pics HERE seem to indicate that it's going to be covering the bottom half of Ireland by the morning.

any thoughts?

That is based ( correctly for an afternoon jobbie :D ) on the 12z advisory , the 18z advisory shows a retreat over the airports in Shannon and Knock to where your visitor may divert. The advisories arrive in the hour after the nominal time by the way.

The next, ie 00z advisory will be up HERE around 1am our time.

Look at all three against each other and imagine you are Micko :D

I will be in bed by the time the 00z advisory appears so you are on your own there Vibe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Shannon departures

Cork departures

Doesn't look like much is moving at the moment despite the airports being open

Can't access the UK Met office sit for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks Bob, i'm heading there myself now so I'll check again in the morning.

we've told her to get any flight she can onto Irish soil and we'll get her the rest of the way.

fingers crossed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Car covered now, wind whipping it up, is sticking in places. Car skidding a lot. Kids made one of these

2314085846_69a1191b4f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn60WfIfA4o

Good video of scenes on the ground in Iceland (ash covering things etc)

Oy , I told you not to publish that picture of me washing the dog FFS :(
    ch750536 wrote: »
    2314085846_69a1191b4f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The Reek has just erupted! :eek: Lava everywhere... no danger as it is flowing down into all the potholes.

Have to save this is getting ridiculous - Croagh Patrick has erupted; Tuam has been engulfed in a dust tsunami and rivers of Lava are flowing over the Cliffs of Moher like the Niagra Falls, yet no mention in the media - just because it aint happening in Dublin - typical. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My dad said he just heard on the radio that it is just transatlantic routes that have been reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Things look pretty static there over Britain.

Might allow for west-bound flights from Ireland though?

Fairly big extension of the affected area south of ireland into the atlantic though, if these panned out.

edit - the note that ash risk above 35000ft isn't significant is also new i think.

Fizman wrote: »
    My dad said he just heard on the radio that it is just transatlantic routes that have been reopened.

He musta read the thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

There was a documentary on RTE2 about a year ago about a scientist who read tree rings, he was saying that back at the start of the dark ages, the strange formation of tree rings were telling him of a major catastrophe in Europe for 4 or 5 years.

He tied the timeline of the rings in with historical accounts of a great disisater where the sky was black for 4 years over Europe and there was major famines and political upheavel -everyone thought it was a message from the Gods that they weren't happy and it caused mayhem.

Anyway this all tied in with a major volcanic eruption at the time.

Anyone else see that program?

Advertisement