Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a Cycle Helmet Please

• 15-04-2010 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I know budget shouldnt matter when i comes to safety but i havent got alot to spend.

its for road cycling rather than mountain biking.

any help appreciated

Neonitrix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

neonitrix wrote: »
    I know budget shouldnt matter when i comes to safety but i havent got alot to spend.

its for road cycling rather than mountain biking.

any help appreciated

Neonitrix

wait....todays not friday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Budget doesn't really matter when it comes to safety.

All the approved helmets have the same level of protection. Actually, the more expensive ones are arguably less strong (my super light one isn't even approved for sale in the US for this reason).

Just get one that fits comfortably. Helmets from different manufacturers can have very different fit, and those from the same manufacturer tend to have similar fit, although in some cases (e.g. Specialized) there is a difference between the cheaper half of the range and the crazy priced ones.

I've found Bell very comfortable as they have a floaty cradle thing, but they do look massive in the larger sizes.

Any bike shop will do, even Halfords. I wouldn't order over the internet unless you already know what fits you or you like sending stuff back, although helmets from UK retailers (except Wiggle) are cheaper due to zero rated VAT in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't order over the internet unless you already know what fits you or you like sending stuff back, although helmets from UK retailers (except Wiggle) are cheaper due to zero rated VAT in the UK.

Also you don't know what level of bashing about the place your helmet has suffered in transit. Any knock can weaken it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MysticFred

I bought a few in Argos and tried them on outside. I returned the ones that didn't suit.

I am very happy with the one I chose as it was far cheaper than those I tried on the bike shop (cycleways) and provides good protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Also you don't know what level of bashing about the place your helmet has suffered in transit. Any knock can weaken it.

I think that risk is a bit overplayed, TBH. As I understand it you either need to damage the hard shell surface or plastically deform the polystyrene layer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I have bought helmets from the UK and they are well packaged. How do you think they get to an Irish shop in the first place :) Having said that you need to get the fit right so better to buy locally. It is only really worth buying online if you are looking for a quite expensive "racing" helmet; the saving on entry-level helmets is not very great, certainly not worth getting the wrong size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes I really think it is hard to recommend a helmet, much like it is hard to recommend a saddle (damn you arione!). Go to a few shops, try some on and buy whichever feels more comfortable.

The straps on my Ionos meet at a plastic bridge which sits right on the crown of my head, this tends to press down and cause a bit of discomfort (relieved by wearing a cap) but I bought it off the internet. Having tried on helmets I reckon my next one will be a Bell, they fit me better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

In terms of safety, the Snell standard is considered better than that used in Europe (CEN) in that Snell rated helmets have to withstand greater impact force.

I haven't tried very hard but I have found it hard to find Snell rated helmets here in the past (I use a CEN rated helmet). Of course, different people will have different views on how much protection is "enough" so for many the difference between Snell and CEN standards may be effectively negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭WEST

Hi OP,

Mymemory have a few at http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Helmets for about €20. Anyone know if these are any good?

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

For sheer comfort and the fact that they look fantastic I recommend Cateye Whisper.
    A bit pricey however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    I have bought helmets from the UK and they are well packaged. How do you think they get to an Irish shop in the first place :) Having said that you need to get the fit right so better to buy locally. It is only really worth buying online if you are looking for a quite expensive "racing" helmet; the saving on entry-level helmets is not very great, certainly not worth getting the wrong size.

I got my Ionos from the UK, and it was a good deal cheaper iirc
    ROK ON wrote: »
    For sheer comfort and the fact that they look fantastic I recommend Cateye Whisper.
    A bit pricey however.

I do love the Cateye helmets, and it'll probably be my next helmet purchase... it gets extra points for freaking niceonetom out too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got my Ionos from the UK, and it was a good deal cheaper iirc
    The Ionos is not an entry-level helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    The Ionos is not an entry-level helmet.

Fair enough I guess.... :)

Advertisement