Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toll problems

• 15-04-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I travel over the new bridge on my way home from work most evenings driving an Astra car-van. Sometimes the toll is 1.90, sometimes 3.40. I know technically because its a car-van its classed as light-commercial, and therefore should be 3.40, which is bloody expensive, so I'm lucky to get away with 1.90 most of the time. I'd love to know why different classes come up each time though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

I travel over the new bridge on my way home from work most evenings driving an Astra car-van. Sometimes the toll is 1.90, sometimes 3.40. I know technically because its a car-van its classed as light-commercial, and therefore should be 3.40, which is bloody expensive, so I'm lucky to get away with 1.90 most of the time. I'd love to know why different classes come up each time though!

cant ya just not use it? lots of people dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

anplaya wrote: »

Sounds like he thinks 1.90 is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

maybe so,but he knows hes taking the risk of wether having to pay either 1.90 or 3.40 everytime.so why bother ,tis his choice to use it anyway.plenty of people dont,think it only gets something like 33pc of users a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

1.90 isn't too bad IMHO. 3.40 would really mount up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

In terms of 'fairness' I don't see any logic in charging light commercial vehicles more.

Its logical to charge bigger vehicles more, as they cause more wear on the road, but a small van for an electrician or someone?

I suppose they do it because they think small businesses are willing to pay more than other consumers, but its just another cost on business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

maybe so,but he knows hes taking the risk of wether having to pay either 1.90 or 3.40 everytime.so why bother ,tis his choice to use it anyway.plenty of people dont,think it only gets something like 33pc of users a day.

Well I mean, if he had to pay 3.40 1 time in 10, the average cost would be 2.05, only 15c more expensive. So I guess it depends on how often he gets done for the 3.40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The toll should be based on weight nothing else but that wouldn't work for the operators would it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

the toll could atleast have a discount like the M50 toll does, full price no matter what method you use to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

this has happened me a few times on the basket 1 and i drive a 5 dr vw golf. I usually just reverse out and head over to the operated one and inform them also

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Drove through it the other day in my friends car. He has the back stripped out for "lightweight ":rolleyes:. Your woman said she wanted 3.40 because it was a van. I had a go off her about the vehicle being privately taxed, she gave in then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

Yeah I'm on private tax aswell, I should have thought of that.

1.90 is worth it sometimes if I'm in a hurry home, saves me 10 minutes or so, but 3.40 is no way worth it. Thats over thirty quid a week if you go both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Cabaal wrote: »
    the toll could atleast have a discount like the M50 toll does, full price no matter what method you use to pay

theydo

http://www.southlink.ie/form.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Shazforgrub how could you possibly tax your Astra van privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

aws wrote: »
    Shazforgrub how could you possibly tax your Astra van privately?

It's very possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Are you mad. €1.90 to avoid the streets of Waterford. Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Are you mad. €1.90 to avoid the streets of Waterford. Well worth it.
    ha ha ha.
    1.90 is a bit much ,I think it is anyways.

Advertisement