Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Challenge Cup Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Harlequins 22 - 16 Wakefield :eek:

FT 23-16. Nice one Doofer, maybe see you in Headingley for the next round.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Drop goal from Gale to finish the scoring and a rarity, a Quins win (before our hammering in the league by Wigan no doubt!!) Finishes 23 - 16 Woo and indeed Hoo!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wigan now winning 26 - 10 :(

Would rather not face the Rhinos Toom!!! Anyone in a league below will do nicely please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Good win for Leeds - deserved too. Bedsy looked great out of acting half and Webb was in the right place a couple of times in attack and defence which helped.

I still don't see what Bailey brings to the team...not in the same league as the other Leeds forwards. I thought he was dreadful in the wcc and looked for a row until one started, then disappeared. There must be better props in the championship.

Peacock looked in good nick though.

In other news...Richie Barnett scored a hat-trick!!! No sign of either Irish signing though, doesn't look great for them now. I think they've missed out on the last few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Harlequins 22 - 16 Wakefield :eek:

Congrats Doofs.

Hope this kicks start your season and gets the fans off McDermott's back.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Congrats Doofs.

Hope this kicks start your season and gets the fans off McDermott's back.

Thanks, sorry it was Wakefield we beat. Mac is fronting up at a supporters meetin soon, i think there is a realisation our 'glory'(!?!) years were from spendin money we didn't have and that mac is doing what he can with his resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Hudds-KR about to KO. I do love Challenge Cup BBC matches :)

Cant see past the Giants for this one...what the hell's gone on with the Huddersfield support? They just haven't turned up....very, very disappointing...

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Hudds-KR about to KO. I do love Challenge Cup BBC matches :)

+1, Wouldn't you just love to see a few SL games on the Beeb, to show people what they're missing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

toomevara wrote: »
    +1, Wouldn't you just love to see a few SL games on the Beeb, to show people what they're missing...

Yeah sharing the matches between Sky and BBC would be a great but I cant see it happening anytime soon.

CMON KR!!!

Very, very poor stuff from KR, never a contest.

• Advertisement

Great win for Barrow today, fair play to them, thought they might do it. Quins get Saints and Bradford look like they've landed a potential banana skin with Leigh. Two other all SL clashes, Crusaders/Dragons and Giants/Wolves....

5th round draw....8th - 9th May.

Barrow v Hunslet
    Crusaders v Catalans
    Bradford v Leigh
    Halifax v Batley
    Harlequins v St Helens
    Huddersfield v Warrington
    Leeds v Blackpool
    Widnes/Lezignan v Wigan

Ah well, the wall of noise at the stoop will have saints quiverin in their plastic scouse boots. might be in with a shout of being the tv game which would be nice. Talkin of bbc coverage, i think ms balding does a great job and her enthusiasm for the game is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Talkin of bbc coverage, i think ms balding does a great job and her enthusiasm for the game is obvious.

I've been impressed with her RL involvement over the last while. She's a better presenter than Eddie Hemmings and seems to really enjoy the sport.

Nice to watch rugby league without having Stevo looking down the camera at me...

AdeT wrote: »
    I've been impressed with her RL involvement over the last while. She's a better presenter than Eddie Hemmings and seems to really enjoy the sport..

Funny you guys should bring this up as me and the better half were just discussing this yesterday. You can see that she's gone from a position of total ignorance about the sport to being a genuine fan/lover of the game. Good presenter, genuinely enthusiastic and brings a nice perspective to the to the game.

She was on a panel on one of those radio 5 talk shows recently and said straight out that she preferred RL to RU. Nice to hear someone in the mainstream sporting media who is a) aware of the existence of RL and b) arguing the case that its a better game that RU and deserving of much greater coverage in the national media.

Friday, 07 May 2010

Bradford v Leigh, 20:00
    Leeds v Blackpool, 20:00

Saturday, 08 May 2010

Huddersfield v Warrington, 14:30 **BBC 2**
    Widnes v Wigan, 19:30

Sunday, 09 May 2010

Barrow v Hunslet, 15:30
    Crusaders v Catalans Dragons, 15:30 **BBC2**
    Halifax v Batley, 15:00
    Harlequins v St Helens, 14:00

Some interesting ties this weekend. Bradford v Leigh could be a possible upset. Huddersfield V Warrington is going to be a superb game, and I reckon Wire might just sneak it. Crusaders to put one over on the shambolic Catalans..and can the Quins continue their return to form by beating the Saints at The Stoop?

Catalans/Crusaders game on telly?, I think Crusaders will do a job on the Dragons, disappointed the Harlequins v Saints game isn't on telly, wasn't a good draw for us though, so think it could be the end of the cup run. Actually think it would have been a good way the BBC could have showcased a non-SL team, still nevermind.

I hope Widnes do the job against Wigan (but this is more a hope than expectation!!), fancy Warrington to beat Huddersfield and Leeds to get turned over by Blackpool :P

Catalans/Crusaders game on telly?, I think Crusaders will do a job on the Dragons,

It is indeed. Agree with you Doofer, think the Crusaders are starting to look like an SL team and they were particularly good against an (admittedly rudderless) FC last weekend. Sammut looks like an inspired signing and even Alfie's getting up to speed. As for Leeds, the way they're going christ knows what'll happen...they just seem to be in a collective sulk at the moment. There's alot of speculation around McClennan's future and the latest I'm hearing is that Eastwood's unhappy/homesick and wants out. Whatever's going on behind the scenes, all is definitely not well at Headingley.

First half sounded a bit too close for comfort for Leeds, but in the end they scraped by with a mere try or 12, hammered them in the end then Toom!!!

Leeds 70 - 22 Blackpool

In the other game, a comfortable win for Bradford

Bradford 58 - 16 Leigh

Bloody hell, what happened to the Giants?..total rout.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Bloody hell, what happened to the Giants?..total rout.

It's the Brough factor:D

This is what happens when you get greedy and change something that wasn't broken. Robinson and Brown were developing into one of the best half-back partnership in SL and Brown splits it with Brough, changes the team dynamics and unsettles the team.

Whether Brown is able to remodel the team around Brough is going to be a true test of his coaching credentials.

Wires have shown that they are the real deal this season and absolutely brimming with (justifiable) confidence.

• Advertisement

It was an absolutely bizarre game. Almost like Wire had some sort of voodoo over the Giants. Brett Hodgson made more mistakes in one game than I've seen him make all season. The Huddersfield pack just failed to show up, and all this from the team with the best defence in the SL? Freakish stuff. Some of the tries they conceeded weren't worthy of a U14 team.

Saints comfortable against Harlequins. They lead 22 10 deep into the game. Hoping Catalan make a game of it against the welsh. Edit: Catalan lead the Crusaders by 30 points to 6, time for some soccer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Catlans and Crusaders, what a bizarre match!

amacachi wrote: »
    Catlans and Crusaders, what a bizarre match!

Terrible game, one of the worst top flight games I've seen in a while. So much fundamentally wrong with either team. Defensively appalling, some shockingly poor skill levels especially passing, and the kicking games, especially the Crusaders...dire. Catalans have lucked out getting Batley/fax next round, but reckon that'll be the end of their run.

Desperately disappointing weekend of televised rugby.

Desperately disappointing weekend of televised rugby.

Aye, wasn't the showcase I was hoping for.
    Couple of flashes of brilliance from Crusaders though.

SSN and the Halifax Courier (!!!) are reporting Halifax have been kicked out of the Challenge Cup for fielding ineligible player (Michael Ostick) in 4th round , so presumably Swinton will now get a crack at Batley in the postponed 5th round tie?

SSN and the Halifax Courier (!!!) are reporting Halifax have been kicked out of the Challenge Cup for fielding ineligible player (Michael Ostick) in 4th round , so presumably Swinton will now get a crack at Batley in the postponed 5th round tie?

I'd assume it'll be a bye for Batley, though I'd like to see Swinton get a shot.

Fax have suspended their coach in the wake of their ejection from the cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8670949.stm

Saturday, 29 May 2010

Leeds v Wigan, 14:30. *BBC 1*
    Batley v Catalans Dragons, 17:30.
    St Helens v Barrow, 15:00.

Sunday, 30 May 2010

Bradford v Warrington, 15:30 *BBC 2*

Massive game for Leeds/Wigan. Batley Targeting an upset against out of form/injury hit Dragons. Sunday's game should be an interesting one with the game's form team up against Bradford. Will Bradford have their playmakers back...if not may have a grim afternoon.

• Advertisement

Peacock not keeping up with Tomkins there. :D

Advertisement