Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hills in the city

• 15-04-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

where is the biggest hill in the city? im doing some training for an event coming up (4 peaks) and i want a place thats close and i can run to, (i live in ardkeen) that i dont have to drive up to the comeraghs for a 20 minute burnout session.

im currently mauling the hill from becketts to ballygunner school every day but its getting boring....
    there is one off thr cork rd, at the lights for poleberry up to barrick street (where kathy barrys is)...
    also the dunes in tramore would be good but i dont think you are allowed up there anymore?
    but im hoping to stay within the city.
    any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Op I know you said you did not want to drive but the Minaun down by Faithlegg is not to far from the Dunmore Road and would be ideal for what you want, You also have two large hills out in portlaw by the wind turbines both of which also have many paved forestry paths up to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

where is the biggest hill in the city? im doing some training for an event coming up (4 peaks) and i want a place thats close and i can run to, (i live in ardkeen) that i dont have to drive up to the comeraghs for a 20 minute burnout session.

im currently mauling the hill from becketts to ballygunner school every day but its getting boring....
    there is one off thr cork rd, at the lights for poleberry up to barrick street (where kathy barrys is)...
    also the dunes in tramore would be good but i dont think you are allowed up there anymore?
    any ideas?

Bunkers hill

You could try , the new estate up on the headland over Bilberry, over looking the river has a nice long turning slope all the way up to the back of the estate ,fairly steep
    sorry just cannot think of the estates name at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

any ideas?

There are a few hills from the city centre outwards towards Hillview, first Ballybricken, then top of the town (Yellow rd.) and if you keep heading out past Hillview there are a few other hills, but maybe they are too spaced out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

If you fancy the drive to Tramore, you could try running up Galwey's Hill(?) from the Hi-B up. Plenty of nice hills in that area.

In the city, Bridge St is quite steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I thought MTV where doing a new show there for a sec :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

The Rockshire Rd in Ferrybank could be a good one for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yeah, the Rockshire road is perfect for training as it has wide paths. Run up and down that a few times and you'll know all about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

is that the one out past the old jurys, up to the left at the lights?

actually jurys would be ideal! hard to even walk up it!
    thanks for all the tips.

as for mtv, who sang the song"i'm running up that hill"?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats Rockshire Road, what about running up Johns Hill then down the Folly and around and back up Johns Hill? You could do that for hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

is that the one out past the old jurys, up to the left at the lights?

actually jurys would be ideal! hard to even walk up it!
    thanks for all the tips.

as for mtv, who sang the song"i'm running up that hill"?!
    Kate Bush. Or Placebo, depending on what generation you're from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats Rockshire Road, what about running up Johns Hill then down the Folly and around and back up Johns Hill? You could do that for hours!

Rockshire road is harder-speaking from experience.

For hill running, the only two places that are challenging (ive found) are rockshire and the baldyman in tramore(which technically you're not allowed up anymore, but we still ran it a few times.)

5 or 6 hard runs up rockshire (the whole way now, not just up to the bend) and a light jog back down and you'll know all about it-add that to the run out and back and you've got yourself a days workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/waterford/586127133700934053

8.5 miles - not too bad - if the ferrybank run is done a few times it might be hard to get home!
    but i might have a think about it and go a different way - i dont like running on thw quays, there are too many people walking around- i dont mind a few but not the quays! maybe d cone down johns hill, accross by the old tesco, up bunkers, through the glen, down by the forum, and out that way....
    jeepers am i mad?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

How about jog to Bilberry, jeer the local residents there, and then run for your life up Quarry Road and Carrickpherish road towards the industrial estate.

You might even get a chase from a van which will serve as terrific motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

There's a bus stop at the end of the rockshire road and the bus runs from there out to Ardkeen so if you're knackered after going up and down the hill you can just hop on and get home the easy way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Also as you mentioned bunkers hill (off the Cork Road, officially known as Manor Hill), the streets parallel to it (Blakes Lane and Convent hill) are also steep, so you could run all three in a figure of 8, up and down different ones each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dayshah wrote: »
    How about jog to Bilberry, jeer the local residents there, and then run for your life up Quarry Road and Carrickpherish road towards the industrial estate.

You might even get a chase from a van which will serve as terrific motivation.
    Just watch out for any slash hooks / machetes / sawn off shot guns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Manor Hill or up the Glen.

Advertisement