Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rain Cover for Camera !

• 15-04-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

once in a while I need to take a photo in the rain, so I decided to buy a rain cover..
    I have a nikon D90 with battery grip, so off I went to ebay...
    Low and behold, there are many..
    here is one example.

http://tinyurl.com/y3kynyu Thats a link to the actual ebay item..

I am concerned that it might not fit with the battery grip, so I asked, and low and behold our chinese freinds dont understand.. so I found another one and same problem..

So maybe I just need to get a cover for a nikon d3 ? at least it would be big enough..

Any help, ideas or product links appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Have a look at this ebay item: 140397863336

They have other versions too.
    Not as cheap as your Chinese version, but cheaper doesn't always mean better.

I have bought from this seller a few times, they're in the UK, and the service is top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Cheers for that, I didnt mention that I had one of these a few years back, I still have it and find it very hard to use as it moves around and the window at the back moves and you cant see what you are doing, you also need to use the camera in live view as you cant see through the viewfinder.. or use the controls..
    A real nightmare..

I am happy to get what amounts to a plastic bag lol like this...

there are versions of the one you mentioed above with plastic in the entire middle making it easier to view whats going on with your camera..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I didnt mention that I had one of these a few years back, I still have it and find it very hard to use as it moves around and the window at the back moves and you cant see what you are doing, you also need to use the camera in live view as you cant see through the viewfinder.. or use the controls..
    A real nightmare..

I am happy to get what amounts to a plastic bag lol like this...

there are versions of the one you mentioed above with plastic in the entire middle making it easier to view whats going on with your camera..

Yeah, your right, it can be hard to use. I only use it when I have the camera connected to the laptop for remote operation. Great for wildlife shots where you need to place the camera and then hide! :)

It may not look very professional, but have you considered making a plastic rain cover? I've made a few like these ones, except in black. I keep 2 in my bag when I go to any sports events. I didn't weld the seams, just taped them together, and then turned the lot inside out. Looks basic, works well for light showers.

I should add, I also have made a few using just a clear, heavy, plastic bag. Cut a hole just big enough for the lense. Keep the bag tight around the lense by using the lense hood. Cut a very small hole at the eyepiece, and then put the cup back on. Trim all the excess plastic off and 90% tape up. Do not tape up completely, because as conditions change, you may build up condensation. I usually leave a bit open that's beneath the tripod mount, just in case I want to use a tripod/monopod. This is very handy if you know the weather is going to be bad, or if your in a dusty environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Cheers for the info... I will try it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

If you only want something "just in case", these Op-Tech covers: http://www.barkerphotographic.ie/products.php?id=112 (two for less than €10) are fantastic - saved my camera from a big wave.
    For Professional use when you have to shoot Rain of Shine then it's hard to beat an Aquatech cover,expensive, but when you look at the cost of a repair to an a/f motor or something like that they look cheap! : http://www.barkerphotographic.ie/products.php?id=456 - they are secured by using a dedicated slip on eyepiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I have some Optech rain sleeves and would recommend them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Aquatech for any serious outdoor work.

Other may suffice for occassional use. Guess it depends on what you're prepared to risk.

Advertisement