Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volcanic ash cloud = cool sunset?

• 15-04-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Just thinking, I wonder if the Volcanic ash cloud due to close Irish airspace from lunchtime today will give a cool(er) sunset this evening?
    I vaguely remember something like this happening before but it was before a time I had any interest in photography....

Might be worth a trip up the nearest hill :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Just thinking, I wonder if the Volcanic ash cloud due to close Irish airspace from lunchtime today will give a cool(er) sunset this evening?
    I vaguely remember something like this happening before but it was before a time I had any interest in photography....

Might be worth a trip up the nearest hill :D

I was thinking something similar this morning when I heard it on the radio. Looking at the cloud cover at the moment, doesn't look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was thinking this this morning as well but someone on Twitter has said that it's blowing away from Ireland in an Easterly direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 LikePlace

A photo attached of the ash cloud over Dublin. Practically blotting out the sun!

http://bit.ly/93DkUh

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

^^ That looks photoshopped tbh! The lines around the buildings look off to me, anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

LOL, worst photoshop. ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Genius ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

zoegh wrote: »
    ^^ That looks photoshopped tbh! The lines around the buildings look off to me, anyway...

the "Yes, I'm Kidding" part didnt give it away ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Sorry, bit dim this morning! (Like every morning!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

A little beside the point but the name of the volcano looks like someone sneezed when tying the name it for the first time....

Eyjafjallajokull volcano:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

^^^Just checked wiki there........Eyjafjallajökull (pronounced [ˈɛɪjaˌfjatlaˌjœkʏtl̥]) now that should help ;)

BOT, any of you guys in the west gonna try to capture a sunset? time is 20:36 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Will give it a go in Galway this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

They just said that on BBC newsline that they are predicting a spectacular sunset this evening over the north due to the ash, and there isnt a clud to be seen might take a trip to the top of grainan later to see if i get any decent shots so....

They just said that on BBC newsline that they are predicting a spectacular sunset this evening over the north due to the ash, and there isnt a clud to be seen might take a trip to the top of grainan later to see if i get any decent shots so....

Ideal location!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Turner painted a lot of pictures in 1816 and took advantage of the Ash in the atmosphere.

Location of current ash cloud - so no good for photos here
    0003339210dr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Just had a look, nothing spectacular about the sunset in Dublin. Hope yez are having more luck in the west and north.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Bah, no smoggy sunset. Lousy Icelanders cant do anything right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

Nothing spectacular here around Amsterdam either, but it seems you can do a lot with Adobe Camera Raw :)

Taken an hour ago:

4524255884_b4e14262a4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Dimy wrote: »
    Nothing spectacular here around Amsterdam either, but it seems you can do a lot with Adobe Camera Raw :)

Taken an hour ago:

4524255884_b4e14262a4.jpg

thanks for sharing. Great photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I got no photos, but i am in mourning tonight.... when i went to lift the camera bag out of the van my camera dropped out (i didnt close it properly) and cracked the lense and the focus adjuster on the end is broken...so i got no photos! I'm gutted, it was only the standard lense but my only lense, im going to have to buy something now, i was saving but i will just buy something cheap to get me by.

P.S. the sunset wasnt spectacular up here in NW either

• Advertisement

I got no photos, but i am in mourning tonight.... when i went to lift the camera bag out of the van my camera dropped out (i didnt close it properly) and cracked the lense and the focus adjuster on the end is broken...so i got no photos! I'm gutted, it was only the standard lense but my only lense, im going to have to buy something now, i was saving but i will just buy something cheap to get me by.

P.S. the sunset wasnt spectacular up here in NW either
    A sh1te! Keep an eye on adverts.ie. I picked up a sigma 18-50mm ƒ2.8 for only €150 at Christmas. Its an older lens that has since been replaced but its a bargain to me. Well looked after used equipment is the way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Nothing worth noting in Galway either. Got a few shots at Blackrock before the sun went down though, will post them in a bit...

Homer_simpson I was very jealous of you earlier, not so much now! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can I ask ..........what are the best settings to use to capture the red sunset? I hope to get some landscape witht he sun in the background and might try something closer like a tree with the sun setting behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

phog wrote: »
    Can I ask ..........what are the best settings to use to capture the red sunset? I hope to get some landscape witht he sun in the background and might try something closer like a tree with the sun setting behind it.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I found I got the best result with a smaller aperture (f/10 or up) and a shuttertime of a few seconds, obviously you'll need a tripod for this and shutter remote (or use the timer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Remember

The Sun sets in the West

There is no particulate west of Ireland ATM

happy shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Barname wrote: »
    Remember

The Sun sets in the West

There is no particulate west of Ireland ATM

happy shooting

Totally!

Folk will have to wait for either a change in winds or until the ash cloud circumnavigates the globe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I got a regular sunset yesterday. Still looked cool though

4523887815_5bf76e3899_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the best lenses to bring for the sunset (my sigma 10 - 20?),
    should the cloud be over the whole west for the sunset, i'd probably be taking shots somewhere between kilkee and glaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

what about sunrise on the east coast the light should be coming through the cloud that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

There was a great looking sunrise this morning. But that again that could be a normal thing, I'm not usually up that early!

whyulittle wrote: »
    There was a great looking sunrise this morning. But that again that could be a normal thing, I'm not usually up that early!

Sun rises in the east - exactly where the big cloud is.

Maybe thread should be renamed Volcanic ash cloud = cool sunrise? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Some great shots there. All very strange with the lightening. I love this one taken near the start of the eruption at night

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26793371@N00/4521344250/sizes/o/

Advertisement