Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can you eat?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I hope I am in the right place here.

I would like to know the plants around here that you can eat.

as a child I ate blackberries and the odd crabapple as well as primroses (apparentlz they go well in some salads).

nettles are safe, but I have yet to try them. I know the book 'Grow your own Drugs' has a nice recipe for nettle soup.

what else is there?

I have heard dandelion leaves are edible, but the sap is dangerous.

any advice wold be appreciated and i need to 100% of what is safe. apparently hemlock grows in Ireland. ignorance here could be fatal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dandylion leaves are indeed edible, as are the flowers (I've heard they make a lovely tempura). Bittercress is out all over the place now and is edible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_bittercress).

There's a few wild food blogs around that would probably have good information for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect that a book should be consulted, and you may find foraging courses around the country - not the sort of thing to be undertaken without expert guidance.
    'food for free' by richard mabey seems to be a classic of the genre.

Advertisement