Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having windows fitted

• 15-04-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi everyone...

We have just been give 2 lovely white bay windows which are like new... Does anyone know roughly how much i might pay to have these fitted? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Whisper87

Anyone got any idea? I'm keen to get these windows put in, but need ball park figure to work to?!

Thanks, W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Whisper87 wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea? I'm keen to get these windows put in, but need ball park figure to work to?!

Thanks, W
    it depends in where there going, if There load bearing it could be a bit costly but if there going into a non load bearing ope then it should be straight forward, cant give ye a price be it should take 1 day to do so i wouldnt imagine it being crazy.

They're going in the front of the house...
    No idea what that means, but i can tell you that the windows that are there now, are old corporation wooden ones, does that help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Have you bay windows in the front of the house already if not you will need planning permission before you fit them.

They're going in the front of the house...
    No idea what that means, but i can tell you that the windows that are there now, are old corporation wooden ones, does that help?
    I wouldnt pay anymore than 200 per window fitted. it would take a day. dont let the builder fool ye.

• Advertisement

tiocimarla wrote: »
    I wouldnt pay anymore than 200 per window fitted. it would take a day. dont let the builder fool ye.
    Although pics of the windows and where your planning on putting them would help but i will take 2 men 1 day with about 75 euro float 4 material and 325 to split. Builder will take 225 and labourer will take 100 and probly what ever is left from the float.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Although pics of the windows and where your planning on putting them would help but i will take 2 men 1 day with about 75 euro float 4 material and 325 to split. Builder will take 225 and labourer will take 100 and probly what ever is left from the float.

Where,s the cover for insurance.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

my brother fits them. He is in north dublin. If you want him to quote you let me know.. Although tbh I would actually ask a builder as an RSJ or the sorts might be required.

kadman wrote: »
    Where,s the cover for insurance.

kadman
    like i say it all depends on the house. If there are bay windows at front of house and they are straight swap then many insured builders wont charge in this climate. I presume since your mod of trade forum that you are working in construction, and if so i also presume your self employed. And if ive tick those boxes then you will understand that he will definitly get a good price in the present market. I have lost 6 jobs in the last year due to inc. of insurance. People wont pay it if someone undercuts it. And someone will undercut. As for RSJ etc. ye definatly a different story as your dealing with a load.

like i say it all depends on the house. If there are bay windows at front of house and they are straight swap then many insured builders wont charge in this climate. I presume since your mod of trade forum that you are working in construction, and if so i also presume your self employed. And if ive tick those boxes then you will understand that he will definitly get a good price in the present market. I have lost 6 jobs in the last year due to inc. of insurance. People wont pay it if someone undercuts it. And someone will undercut. As for RSJ etc. ye definatly a different story as your dealing with a load.

Insured builders might not charge for this .................but they are still liable if and when a problem occurs. Of course the client is probably going to get it hard getting recompense. So if a client gets a low price at the outset, it may or may not turn out being a low price.

You are presuming a lot of things there friend, and ticking a lot of boxes:D, but all of them wrong regarding me:)

You,ll definitely get good lads doing nixers, and keeping the prices down for the customer. But as you know, you will also get a lot of cowboys. Regardless of who you get, check out their previous work first, if at all possible.

kadman

• Advertisement

Insured builders might not charge for this .................but they are still liable if and when a problem occurs. Of course the client is probably going to get it hard getting recompense. So if a client gets a low price at the outset, it may or may not turn out being a low price.

You are presuming a lot of things there friend, and ticking a lot of boxes:D, but all of them wrong regarding me:)

You,ll definitely get good lads doing nixers, and keeping the prices down for the customer. But as you know, you will also get a lot of cowboys. Regardless of who you get, check out their previous work first, if at all possible.

kadman
    Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Windows do come in a few different sizes..... If not the same size, I would imagine you will have as much chance of fitting them.......... Not trying to be a smart arse, well maybe a bit, but you need to refer to the dimensions-if they match, its an easy swap, and should be cheap enough. if not, its best to try and stretch them with a sledge hammer, or shrink them with an axe, for all the use they will be.

Thanks for all the replies!

dunsandin - thanks for the smart ass comment, if we knew they weren't goin to fit, we wouldn't have taken them... We already checked dimensions etc and are sure they'll fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thanks for all the replies!

dunsandin - thanks for the smart ass comment, if we knew they weren't goin to fit, we wouldn't have taken them... We already checked dimensions etc and are sure they'll fit!

Dont worry there is always one.

Oh don't i know it Joey the lips! :D

Then there should be no problem fitting those in. It would be a first that someone gave someone else a set of windows and they just fitted the opes perfectly. Will be fun if the olds are removed and then the new dont quite snuggle in there.... Might be an idea to ask the window fitter to double check the dimensions before ripping out the existing, or me being a smart arse will be the least of your probs.:)

Dont worry there is always one.

Yeah- one who don't know much and one who does.

Post when the windows are fitted. If they go in ok, you are as jammy as they come! Its hard enough to get windows ordered to exact spec and size to arrive on site correct and fit first time.
    You will also have fun finding a window fitter willing to take the chance of ripping out your olds to fit new ones he didnt supply, and if you do find one, he will take the attitude-- "well, if they don't fit, you have to understand you are on your own, I didnt supply em."

Listen smart arse, take it somewhere else.... We just don't wanna hear it! :D

I'm not thick, obviously the dimensions will be taken again before old windows will be taken out, and yes i have found someone to do it!!!

You're on the pigs back so!:D Bring on the new bay windows. I suppose having dealt with building problems for so long, I am the eternal pessimist. Murphys law and all that. Tell us how you get on.

Yours, more jaded than smart arserey, Dunsandin. :)

dunsandin wrote: »
    You're on the pigs back so!:D Bring on the new bay windows. I suppose having dealt with building problems for so long, I am the eternal pessimist. Murphys law and all that. Tell us how you get on.

Yours, more jaded than smart arserey, Dunsandin. :)

Murphys the name, what can i do for you. Fitting odd size windows......no problem.

There will be some flexibility fitting wise, if the windows are a wee bit narrower than the opes. A coupling bar can be used to add a small bit either sied if needed, or maybe two bars. It will affect the look a bit, but if it saves you on the price of the windows, it might be worth it.

If thw windows are a bit oversize, its possible to do some minor mods on it to make it fit. But it has to be within striking distance of the ope size 1"-2".
    Aesthetically it may have an impact, but a good fitter will advise, and its your call.

Murphy,s done....I,m AAWWWaaaayyyyyyy...........

kadman

• Advertisement

but a good fitter will advise, and its your call.

Ahem, like I said, Its your call bud, sure I didnt make em, I can only do me best.......Buck stops with you!!:)

dunsandin wrote: »
    Ahem, like I said, Its your call bud, sure I didnt make em, I can only do me best.......Buck stops with you!!:)

Sure its the clients call. But the only call they should be expected to make is the visual elements, if the window needs to be modified, nothing else.

Anything else, and they are paying the fitter for his skillset in making sure the fit is a secure safe one, thats what he does.

And no doubt he/she will make it easy enough, with all the right info ie, there is a certain amount of flexibility in the window size that can be accomodated by coupling bars, or window mods.

Now they know, they dont have to be exact to the last mm.:)

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

If you have the windows. And have an idea where you want them.

chip away part of the reveal around the old window. On all sides. right to the block.

measure .

If it fits happy days. Its quite simple to install windows.

Just make sure they are not to much undersize . You dont want to have to re -plaster the reveals outside of the house.

if a little oversize they can be planed in . I have had to do this to a whole house . The block layer may well have been drunk.lol its a pain in the behind.

I dont think you actually said anywhere that they where bays windows. did you?

Advertisement