Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jap imports... feedback

• 15-04-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Although I have looked through 4 pages here and found nothing on jap imports I thought I would brooch the subject anyway if its being discussed else where by all means move me along.
    The question being what the main talking points on Japanese imports I see plenty on sale [scobbies fto's] yet rarely do I ever see history's attachments or intel on belt jobs being carried out, so has any one useful pointers for me as I am quiet liking the idea off getting myself an Subaru legacy [00-04 reg]
    Thanks all
    FM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Buy one in the country. Thirsty cars in a recession are cheap.

Yes iv imported myself. With the market the way it is currently its not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

In terms of service history you will probably find that a lot of Jap import owners (myself included) tend to service their cars themselves. Another thing to be wary of is that insurance companies generally charge a higher premium on Jap imports. Out of interest what type of Legacy you thinking of going for? B4 twin turbo one is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Insurance companies tend to put a loading on them due to them being simple to steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Only in recent years jap imports have had factory immobs installed but older import cars certainly would not have an immob in them.

Even if you did get a service history with your jap import, how can you be sure it is genuine? I have had a string of jap imports over a ten year period and I could never be sure of the service history that some of them included.
    Maybe one or two of them I had no doubt about but generaly I felt I had mickey mouse documents just thrown into the glove box by the dealers.

I have always imported myself so never went to middle men..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Best bet when buying a car imported from Japan is to get on to an owners club and pick one thats been minded since it landed here.

Bring someone who knows about the cars along with you when viewing.

If it doesn't have an alarm & immobiliser fitted bufget to get one fitted ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Bit of a gamble alrite, found there a bit better spec wise.
    Maybe try www.isdc.ie if its Subaru's lots of info
    and the lads are very helpful with any questions you'd have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Regardless of whether they serviced it themselves or not, they should be able to show you receipts for whatever parts were used.

If they can't then don't take their word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Testament1 wrote: »
    In terms of service history you will probably find that a lot of Jap import owners (myself included) tend to service their cars themselves. Another thing to be wary of is that insurance companies generally charge a higher premium on Jap imports. Out of interest what type of Legacy you thinking of going for? B4 twin turbo one is it?

Thats the very one I got my eye on.:)

Advertisement