Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Home network setup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why do you have a plug socket plugged into a plug socket?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tallon wrote: »
    Why do you have a plug socket plugged into a plug socket?

LAN plugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

LAN plugs

Ah-ha... are they any use?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tallon wrote: »
    Ah-ha... are they any use?

definately yeah. that PC is about 20m from the router. no extra packet loss and only about 2-3ms more ping than a straigh connection. Also good for streaming my PC stuff to the 360 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

attachment.php?attachmentid=110913&stc=1&d=1271332848

I don't have a stupid Wii though, it's a 360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alphanumeric

Its a good piece of software...not to sure how to insert the image here though...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lightnin

Here is my current setup:
    Receive my Broadband through a wireless transceiver(built in router and firewall) which is positioned at the back of my garage.
    This is hardwired(Poe Cat5e) to a 10/100 switch inside a downstairs wiring closet(node 0).
    Inside house is part hardwired part wifi.
    Games console is a PS3(stream media files from desktop through network with PS3 Mediaserver)
    Mobile is a Blackberry
    PDA is actually a PSP (can access PS3 media files wirelessly when PS3 is in remote play mode also can watch RTE DTT on PSP wirelessly when PS3 is in remote play mode and PlayTV unit enabled)

[IMG][/img]HomeNetwork.bmp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

M.png

http://www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/2069530/M.png

Not big or complicated but it does the job :)

3mb DSL to Wireless N (internal gigabit switch) and 8 port netgear gigabit switch with CAT5e.

Myhomenet.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

4523351691_fb138b7da8_o.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Here is my home one, has few servers in there for media etc and data storage and four APs as the walls are think and the signal doesn't propagate well.110958.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

attachment.php?attachmentid=110954&stc=1&d=1271357841

Eircom netopia is my router and wireless, connected to a 16 port 100mb switch

One console is an orginal xbox which is getting fed from one of the pcs

other is whatever random console is connected up,

would like to add a server at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

110960.JPG

The Linksys modem is in bridge mode and my static Ip address resolves at the server (P4 Dell Xps). The server runs Ubuntu server and controls the whole network by acting as the gateway router and handles dhcp for the non static devices. Shorewall firewall gives me full control of the network and a firewall with complete control. The server is also where I line up my downloads to run at night. All wired devices have gigabit. I'll be replacing both the Xbox360 and Xbox Media centre with a single HTPC very soon to play HD content. The 2 main gaming pc's and daughters netbook run Windows 7, my netbook runs Ubuntu.

Is the ubuntu server a two NIC system Pog? Are you doing any traffic shaping with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

mynetwork.png

A direct connect 1200/75 baud modem connected to the expansion connector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Network.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Happy except for the HP server. Giving that to a friend as it's just too loud. Don't need it anyhow.

3F1BD2495B5F4F739DAC079A9C0C1303-800.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

network_thumb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is the ubuntu server a two NIC system Pog? Are you doing any traffic shaping with it?

Ya, It had onboard gigabit, I use that for lan side, I just added a pci ethernet one for net side. I'm not doing any bandwidth shaping, just QOS, but its pretty simple to shape and there are lots of guides for Ubuntu Server, which is why I used it. I'm waiting on Ubuntu 10.4 LTS to be released and I'll be rebuilding from scratch. With Ubuntu server You don't get a desktop, Cli only, if You're not familiar use the desktop version, or You could just throw Yourself in at the deep end like I did, good learning experience :D.

Yeah I'm considering going down that route with the server I get, in the office here we have no analog lines just SIP, quality was a bit hit and miss (someone was on the torrents though :/) and we set up a small linux box purely to traffic shape and the difference it made was huge!

I also noticed that Linksys used to make a "Voice and Gaming" Shaper, we're kind of a little sceptical in the office how it works with games, but if it does there shouldnt be anything stopping someone from setting that up on there own box

Its surprising how quick you get to used to command line only, its all we use in work, now if i could just get used to VI :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement