Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STS-134 Endeavour

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

clln wrote: »
    You do of course mean the launch of Endeavour there now don't you Beeker,not the Atlas!
    are you trying to make a show of me?
    thank you but i can do that without any help from anybody!:pac:
    Yes Endeavour launch time!:pac:
    Forgive me for stepping in on the Atlas launch....:eek::pac::pac::pac::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Beeker wrote: »
    Forgive me

NO!

CO19 wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem now with launching Endeavor ?

From NSF CO19.
    Program officially going with the NET May 16.
    It's my understanding they are replacing the wiring from the LCA to the heaters, that will take a few days, then they'll need a full two days to re-test everything again, add to that 3 days of countdown, and you can see why they are out till the 16th. I am curious as to how they are going to handle the fact that 3 of the 6 ISS crew are due to depart on 5/23, they will be way shorthanded getting all those supplies transferred and stowed if the ISS crew is down to 3 on FD 7.
    They are taking the option of replacing wires and some thermos.
    Q= I am curious as to how they are going to handle the fact that 3 of the 6 ISS crew are due to depart on 5/23, they will be way shorthanded getting all those supplies transferred and stowed if the ISS crew is down to 3 on FD 7.
    A= That will be a topic of interest...as an example, EVA-2 was on the flight plan on FD7...if that and the Soyuz undock are close together, would imagine they'd need to be "deconflicted."
    That is something the Planners are looking into and will be coming out with in the next several days. I know that there is a way to get all the objectives done, just a matter of juggling it all out!

Well the "Poxy" Atlas launch was scrubbed,still no word on if it will be a 24 or 48 hour turnaround,but everything was GO except Weather.

The word "poxy" is copyright of Lord Lucan during his attempt to go and see the launch of STS-129, when not just an Atlas but also a Delta had control of the Eastern range,to add to his concerns Ares-1X also launched from Pad 39B while Atlantis was on 39A.

Jammy [EMAIL="B@stard"]B@stard[/EMAIL] still managed to see 129's launch though!:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Well the "Poxy" Atlas launch was scrubbed,still no word on if it will be a 24 or 48 hour turnaround,but everything was GO except Weather.

The word "poxy" is copyright of Lord Lucan during his attempt to go and see the launch of STS-129, when not just an Atlas but also a Delta had control of the Eastern range,to add to his concerns Ares-1X also launched from Pad 39B while Atlantis was on 39A.

Jammy B@stard still managed to see 129's launch though!:pac:
    Yeah was watching it with a large mug of tea. Cumulus clouds get in the way. Oh well what can you do:)

Yeah was watching it with a large mug of tea. Cumulus clouds get in the way. Oh well what can you do:)

Down with this type of thing Cloud! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Jammy [EMAIL="B@stard"]B@stard[/EMAIL] still managed to see 129's launch though!:pac:

Yeah, convinced a load of people to watch it. Then it scrubs, pox.

So, the 16th now for Endeavour. I'm over in the States for that, but 7 hours away by plane. Will be up in the middle of the night to watch. Thats all going to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Oh i remember that well,think i had palpitations that night!:eek:

2nd Atlas attempt underway,due to launch at 19.10. Weather looks perfect this evening.

Atlas away this time.

• Advertisement

This is funny.:D

This is awesome.:cool:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Atlas away this time.

Some great pics from the Camera's!
    Liftoff:
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8949.0;attach=289398;image
    Looking back at Pad 41 from where it launched:
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8949.0;attach=289402;image
    First stage Seperation;
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8949.0;attach=289447;image
    Its view of Pad 39A were Endeavour rests awaiting a rollback erm i mean launch.and whats left of 39B.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8949.0;attach=289433;image

Those Specsaver Ads are really funny!
    Norm Augustine should have gone to them too!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any chance of seeing this from ireland from the new launch window?

irishgeo wrote: »
    any chance of seeing this from ireland from the new launch window?

As things stand not a hope unfortunatly irishego:(
    even the brightest pass of the much larger Space Station disappears as if a lightbulb had been switched off,the crafts need to be stiil reflecting Sunlight before they go into the Earth's shadow,being at a higher altitude this happens after our sunset for up to 90 minutes.

i was only half joking though when i said Endeavour might have to be rolled back to the Vehicle Assembly Building(VAB) if the ongoing tests and repairs do not work out.
    the launch attempt options for May run out on the 29th.
    i thought i might have got may'be an E + for effort at explaining it to the best of my ability!
    the STs/ ISS sightings thread explains it much better than my sad attempt!:) :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056247770

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056245132

Epic photos of the Atlas launch.

http://www.launchphotography.com/SBIRS-1.html

SBIRS-1.jpg

Epic photos of the Atlas launch.
    You mean more epic than mine thecommander?
    I will have you know the ones from NSF were uploaded by me!;)

great link there to keep an eye on, thank you!:)

• Advertisement

Pics are stunning.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Pics are stunning.

but (my pics) not as stunning as you being first with the Scrub news jake 1!:)
    always fascinating stuff on that sites homepage,( Radioreference) when i have checked it out.
    i am spoiled for choice with all these URL's!:)

There will be a press conference at 8PM today by Mike Moses and Mike Leinbach to update how repairs and testing are going.
    Endeavours mission has been officially extended to 16 days.
    http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Space_Shuttle_Endeavour_to_Launch_No_Earlier_Than_May_16_999.html

Sorry for sending mixed messages,but it is because i am getting them from web sites that normally go to great pains to be accurate.
    i said in a post above that launch opportunities for Endeavour run from the 16th to the 29th for May.(no attempt can be made on the 21st because three members of the ISS will be undocking on the 23rd on a Soyuz and it is against rules for a Shuttle docking to take place the day of an undocking)

according to that link above the days available to launch in May finish on the 26th,
    Does anybody know which is the accurate of the two dates?

Have to go now,i am taking My car for a spin.;)

shuttle-truck.jpg

There will be a press conference at 8PM today by Mike Moses and Mike Leinbach to update how repairs and testing are going.
    Endeavours mission has been officially extended to 16 days.
    http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Space_Shuttle_Endeavour_to_Launch_No_Earlier_Than_May_16_999.html

Sorry for sending mixed messages,but it is because i am getting them from web sites that normally go to great pains to be accurate.
    i said in a post above that launch opportunities for Endeavour run from the 16th to the 29th for May.(no attempt can be made on the 21st because three members of the ISS will be undocking on the 23rd on a Soyuz and it is against rules for a Shuttle docking to take place the day of an undocking)

according to that link above the days available to launch in May finish on the 26th,
    Does anybody know which is the accurate of the two dates?

Have to go now,i am taking My car for a spin.;)

shuttle-truck.jpg
    Hi clln, I think the window is available to the 29th but I could be wrong on that. I must say if I arrived home in a car like the one posted it would be the last straw for poor Shuttle widow, Mrs Beeker.:D

I must say if I arrived home in a car like the one posted it would be the last straw for poor Shuttle widow, Mrs Beeker.:D

At least it's big enough to live in if she turfed you out.:pac:

• Advertisement

That van/shuttle was down on the causeway on launch day. Mad looking thing.

They had a NASA trailer that they bring to the Nascar events. Deadly looking thing, think they do 3D shows inside of it.

060908a.jpg

I must say if I arrived home in a car like the one posted it would be the last straw for poor Shuttle widow, Mrs Beeker.:D
    Believe Me Beeker She already knows a thing or two about being in the back of it!:pac:

Believe Me Beeker She already knows a thing or two about being in the back of it!:pac:
    :D:D:D

Looking good for launch next Monday May 16 at 13:56 Irish time.:)

I'll be back in the States then, but the other side of the country unfortunately. I'll cheer her on from there this time.

Looking good for launch next Monday May 16 at 13:56 Irish time.:)

Yeah Beeker,Mike Moses forgot to stop talking,if i had known you were going to watch it i would have logged on to join you!:)

some things i found interesting;
    Testing of the new LCA has gone very well.
    Leinbech; We may not put it as a launch restraint if it occurs again.
    26/27th is our shut off point for May.
    shortage of workforce has had some impact on testing etc.

the layoff notices have to be sent out by law to the remaining workforce but will not come into effect until 135 is safely home(does not mean they cannot leave for greener pastures before then)

the need for crew ISS sleep timeshifting means the earlier into the launch opportunities the better.

If no launch in May 134 will take over 135's planned June timeline.

Little chance that 135 will launch before July 12th even if 134 launch's on first available day.

still a bit muggy but getting clearer.:)

I'll cheer her on from there this time.
    Latest pic of You on NASA's image of the day thecommander!:pac::D

cheerleader.jpg

Jaysus!! These STS threads are really looking up these days!:D

cheerleader.jpg
    :D Ahhhh happy Beeker:D:D:D

cheerleader.jpg

My pompoms aren't as big.

• Advertisement

Brings new meaning to the term Cheerleading thread.:pac:

My pompoms aren't as big.

Sorry My Boobies boobies arf arf!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

Come back to Earth guys lol....
    this probably doesn't belong in this thread, but while we wait.....
    President Obama is visiting my city today. For a fundraiser. What are people saying?

""It's a colossal mistake to a) ignore Texas and b) incite Texas," said Allan J. Lichtman, an expert on the presidency at American University in Washington. "With the growth in Hispanic population, Texas is a land of opportunity for Democrats."

"I don't blame Texans for being upset," he said.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110509/NEWS02/705099949

He is talking about Houston not getting an STS.

Obama would struggle on any occasion to get a good reception in a red state like Texas,let alone following a decision that's left many bitter and angry towards him and the perceived influence his administration had on the decision.

He'll get a nice warm Irish welcome in a couple of weeks time to make up for it though.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Obama would struggle on any occasion to get a good reception in a red state like Texas,let alone following a decision that's left many bitter and angry towards him and the perceived influence his administration had on the decision.

He'll get a nice warm Irish welcome in a couple of weeks time to make up for it though.:)
    'Perceived' NOT lol. Is he going to visit Ireland? And receive a nice warm Irish welcome? I don't think the Paddys in NYC would approve.

eilejh wrote: »
    'Perceived' NOT lol. Is he going to visit Ireland? And receive a nice warm Irish welcome? I don't think the Paddy's in NYC would approve.

He's coming here on the 23rd of May for a flying visit. He has family roots in Ireland.;)

'Perceived' NOT lol. Is he going to visit Ireland? And receive a nice warm Irish welcome? I don't think the Paddy's in NYC would approve.
    I think the Paddys will be pleased. Most Irish would be firmly in the Democrats camp!

I think the Paddys will be pleased. Most Irish would be firmly in the Democrats camp!

I will send a 'Get Well' card to those afflicted!

• Advertisement

I will send a 'Get Well' card to those afflicted!

I think it is a bit too late to send a get well card to this Irishman who did not get quite the welcome in Texas it was hoped for eilejah!

He was the driving force behind America getting behind NASA.

This Video always sends shivers up My spine,or the shorter version below it!

Let's get rid of all the Hoodoos in the world!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjUY3pjN8E

Lets hope for a new Revival of NASA's peaceful exploration of Space ASAP!:)

Clin, that is the only reason Texas voted for him. U are so correct. Thank God for him and President Johnson.

Clin, that is the only reason Texas voted for him. U are so correct. Thank God for him and President Johnson.

and also where he was murdered!
    JSC did not make sense for the choice of MCC TBH,but it was Johnsons home state......... enough said!:rolleyes:
    Keep the Politicians away from the Space efforts i say!:pac::)

Keep the Politicians away from the Space efforts i say!:pac::)

it wouldn't have happened by itself!

Texas loves the Space Program, as does the rest of the U.S.A.
    Believe it. I find it hard to swallow that 30 years later Texas would lose their affection for same....

Texas is not about politics. Texas is about history.

• Advertisement

it wouldn't have happened by itself!

Well it has to be taken in the context of the time(the Rice speech)
    Politicians will always have to decide how much an agency can be allocated.
    How it should be spent belongs to Scientists who know the "Real art of the possible"!

Clin, in America they are called 'lobbyists'....and/or local person in charge of whatever lol..

Even though the US and Ireland are two great Nations divided by an almost common language,there is always local sayings/jokes etc that leave both sides puzzled!:D

I would never be Cruel to a heart that's true like Yours eilejh!
    May'be we should take a room before we get booted for going off topic???:D

G'nite i have to read Beeker in the attics latest post now!:)
    You know I was just finished reading that series of posts and was going to post "Get a room":D:D:D

Booking a room on ENDEAVOUR.............
    Good morning eilejh, you're up early!:)

Who can sleep when a Shuttle is in the wings....

• Advertisement
Advertisement