Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STS-134 Endeavour

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

This thread has grown quite a bit, could we stay on topic before it spirals downhill please

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

slade_x wrote: »
    This thread has grown quite a bit large, could we stay on topic before it spirals downhill please
    OK so back on track.
    STS-134 Countdown begins on Friday 13 at 12:00 Irish time following the call to stations at 11:30.
    The Crew are due to arrive at the KSC tomorrow Thursday 12 at 14:00 Irish time which will be covered live on NASA TV.
    540259maincrewarrival31.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Finally a definative answer straight from NASA itself about the available launch days in May for Endeavour.
    was a bit astonished that Mike Moses(Space Shuttle intergration Manager and Chair of the Mission Management Team) did not know off the top of his head at Mondays Press Conference,but 27/28th is what the Man said!
    Launch attempts are available through May 26 with the exception of May 21.

hope somebody posts pics/vids of crew arrival(hint hint:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

So, if STS-134 doesn't get to launch in May, does it revert to STS-135's original launch date of June 28th?

If so, then I'll be hoping for bad weather/technical hitches all May! I already booked my travel, accommodation, etc. for the week of June 27th to see STS-135 launch, it would be great to see any launch after all :) Still, I'll be doing the KSC tours and the Astronaut Training Experience, so should be a great week anyway. Would Atlantis be out on the pad by then if it's going on July 12th, or still in the VAB?

[P.S. Don't hate me for wishing Endeavour delayed!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

ceejay wrote: »
    I already booked my travel for the week of June 27th. Would Atlantis be out on the pad by then if it's going on July 12th, or still in the VAB?

As far as I know, a shuttle is rolled out to the pad approx 1 month before launch so it should be there by end of june provided Endeavour doesn't get further delayed!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ceejay wrote: »
    So, if STS-134 doesn't get to launch in May, does it revert to STS-135's original launch date of June 28th?

If so, then I'll be hoping for bad weather/technical hitches all May! I already booked my travel, accommodation, etc. for the week of June 27th to see STS-135 launch, it would be great to see any launch after all :) Still, I'll be doing the KSC tours and the Astronaut Training Experience, so should be a great week anyway. Would Atlantis be out on the pad by then if it's going on July 12th, or still in the VAB?

[P.S. Don't hate me for wishing Endeavour delayed!]
    As far as I know if Endeavour cannot launch before the end of May it will take Atlantis's launch window at the end of June. However I thing that window opens around June 23rd. So we could get a launch as early as the 23rd for Endeavour.
    As Justaddwater said it will depend on the launch of Endeavour but yes Atlantis should be rolled out to the pad in early June.
    Best of luck with getting to see the launch. Fingers crossed for you:)

134 crew arrived at KSC today ahead of next Mondays launch.

20113436m.jpg
    20113448m.jpg
    20113448m.jpg
    20113457m.jpg

Beeker wrote: »
    134 crew arrived at KSC today ahead of next Mondays launch.

Fair play to you Beeker!,i knew i could count on you!.nice to see Leinbach greeting them but why no T-38s?
    i know money is scarce but this is getting silly!

Jake1 from "lovely Lucan" and Lord Lucan from same are busy it seems at the Eurovision fixed song contest.
    in future to save characters on a post i shall refer to them as Jedward!:pac:

also i have not got the link on this computer but Gaby Giffords will be attending the launch once again if no early scrub.
    just goes to show you cannot keep courages People down!:)

clln wrote: »
    Fair play to you Beeker!,i knew i could count on you!.nice to see Leinbach greeting them but why no T-38s?
    i know money is scarce but this is getting silly!

Jake1 from "lovely Lucan" and Lord Lucan from same are busy it seems at the Eurovision fixed song contest.
    in future to save characters on a post i shall refer to them as Jedward!:pac:

also i have not got the link on this computer but Gaby Giffords will be attending the launch once again if no early scrub.
    The sometimes use the Gulfstream instead of the T38s if the weather on route is not good. Not sure that this was the case this time.
    Jedward.:eek:.....glad to be working and away from the TV:)

My god they got through:eek:,they are from Lucan too:D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/bekkiglittz/GIFs/XFactor/f2cbaa49.gif

• Advertisement

Crew of STS-134 Endeavour.
    markelly.jpg
    gregjohnson.jpg
    mikefincke.jpg
    robertovittori.jpg
    drewfeustel.jpg
    gregchamitoff.jpg

Crew of STS-134 Endeavour.
    Not a single one of them from Lucan!:mad:

Not a single one of them from Lucan!:mad:
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

So far so good as things seem to be progressing well. No new IPR's or drama's being reported which is good to hear. Have to do a bit of juggling with my roster on monday,hoping to get done at 13.00 and home for 13.30 all going well.

Thought A&S would be a muppet free zone but alas Clln had to bring j****rd into it!:(:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hopefully all goes to plan on Monday. Looking forward to AMS being up and running.

lord lucan wrote: »
    So far so good as things seem to be progressing well. No new IPR's or drama's being reported which is good to hear. Have to do a bit of juggling with my roster on monday,hoping to get done at 13.00 and home for 13.30 all going well.

Yes it is an awkward time for me too,but am hoping!
    Weather was 70% GO last time i checked,gets lower Tuesday but better Wednesday.
    did not get chance to watch video until now but i am glad that Mark Kelly "Thinks it's still there":)
    Thought A&S would be a muppet free zone but alas Clln had to bring j***:(*rd into it!:pac:
    Sorry!:o, i had to coax you back somehow,STS threads are too bare without you!:)

Hopefully all goes to plan on Monday. Looking forward to AMS being up and running.
    Yes i agree with you thecommander not only is a magnificent piece of research hardware,it is one of the main reasons there were launchs in 2011,also nice that it helps to justify the mission to the Shuttle critics.

*basks in glory of new found talent to multiquote again,regulars PM Me to learn how:pac:*

Working myself Monday morning until 14:30 but will have NASA TV on, so hopefully it will be a quite shift:)

227436_10150175591868091_86505458090_6892459_7850948_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Anyone know any websites other than NASA that shows live streaming from the ISS ?

CO19 wrote: »
    Anyone know any websites other than NASA that shows live streaming from the ISS ?

Try this one:http://www.spacevidcast.com/isslive/

but i have now!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382870/Gabrielle-Giffords-second-trip-Mark-Kelly-command-delayed-Endeavour-shuttle-launch.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

NASA Pre-launch News Conference to air at 9PM Saturday on NASA TV!

Press conference just ended on NTV.(started 19 mins late,they must have been watching Jedward!:))

Thankfully Mike Moses was more 'on the ball' this time.
    both the A string and the B string will be tested close to T-0.
    the fault showed up in a power surge spike in June 2010 on the LCA,but was considered a glitch,in the OPF.
    135 will be truely tested to avoid same thing.

Leinbech.(who finds it hard to hide his emotions lately spoke about Endeavour and how it looks brand new.)

If 134 launch's on time,it will land the same Day Atlantis will be rolled out.(June 1st)

Kathy Winters:
    Weather for RSS retract 60% GO at its due time.
    Launch Still 70% GO for Monday.
    drops to 40% GO Tuesday.
    80% GO for wednesday.
    just over 20 mins long but a lot of poignant things said by body language as well as word of mouth.

recording of what might be Endeavours last ever Pre launch Press Conference;

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6694

• Advertisement

5168983176_be724769d7.jpg

Looks like the Soyuz flyabout is back on for 134. This is great news as we might finally get some iconic photos of the ISS and Shuttle docked:)
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/05/sts-134-issp-approves-ddo-soyuz-flyabout-returns-to-mission-planning/

Looks like the Soyuz flyabout is back on for 134. This is great news as we might finally get some iconic photos of the ISS and Shuttle docked:)
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/05/sts-134-issp-approves-ddo-soyuz-flyabout-returns-to-mission-planning/

Just reading that,great news. Would be great to see it done on STS-134 as it takes the pressure off the STS-135 mission which is jam packed as it is. Better keep space on the desktop for a new wallpaper.:pac:

recording of what might be Endeavours last ever Pre launch Press Conference;

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6694

And the compulsory embedded YouTube video of same for the lazy.:P

"She looks awfully good out there, she's got a lot of life left in her, but thats not to be" - Mike Leinbach:(

• Advertisement

"She looks awfully good out there, she's got a lot of life left in her, but thats not to be" - Mike Leinbach:(

If the recent MMT briefings are anything to go by i'm expecting the final one for STS-135 to be sponsored by Kleenex such is the sadness from the team.

If the recent MMT briefings are anything to go by i'm expecting the final one for STS-135 to be sponsored by Kleenex such is the sadness from the team.
    Can't blame them, people who have given their everything over years to this programme. It will be like a death or worse:eek: in the family.
    I still hate thinking about the last wheelstop. I have followed this for so long {since I was 13} that I just can't except it is nearly over. I dont mind saying I expect to shed a few tears at the end:(

The family portrait! Yayyyyyyy(pity the HTV is gone but still:))
    not even mentioned at the Press Conference:confused:,Proof if it was needed that Chris Bergin is actually GOD!
    And the compulsory embedded YouTube video of same for the lazy.:P
    aint nothing but repeats on these days :rolleyes:

From NASA;

The Rotating Service Structure retraction was complete at 12:24p ET. All on track for 8:56a Monday launch. (link)

and latest on Gaby Gifford wife of Commander Kelly who was shot in the head by a coward:
    Gabrielle landed safely @NASAKennedy. For more details go to www.fb.me/GabrielleGiffords. #NASATweetUp

i still have no idea if i will be able to view it all like i love too,but for her sake i hope it launchs on time!

i still have no idea if i will be able to view it all like i love too,but for her sake i hope it launchs on time!

Looks like i may be stuck in work until 14.00. Already bookmarked Spaceflightnow,Spacevidcast and livestream on my phone but hoping they have Sky News on so i can sort of disappear for a bit.:)

Looks like i may be stuck in work until 14.00. Already bookmarked Spaceflightnow,Spacevidcast and livestream on my phone but hoping they have Sky News on so i can sort of disappear for a bit.:)

Best of luck to you on getting to see it LL!could be a lonely vigil keeping an eye on this the way things are looking.:(

Management team have given A GO for fueling to begin at 04.36.
    live coverage has hust started on NASA TV;
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Weather is still 70% GO!

I'll find some means of keeping an eye on things.;)

So far all going to plan.:)

I'll find some means of keeping an eye on things.;)

So far all going to plan.:)

With less than a six min Launch window should be easy to disapear somewhere!:D

The major milestones on the path to Liftoff. Times are EDT so 5 hours to be added.

08...40...00...12:16 AM......LO2 slow fill
    08...35...00...12:21 AM......Hydrogen ECO sensors go wet
    08...30...00...12:26 AM......LO2 fast fill
    08...20...00...12:36 AM......LH2 fast fill
    06...25...00...02:31 AM......LH2 topping
    06...20...00...02:36 AM......LH2 replenish
    06...20...00...02:36 AM......LO2 replenish

06...20...00...02:36 AM......Begin 2-hour 30-minute built-in hold (T-minus 3 hours)
    06...20...00...02:36 AM......Closeout crew to white room
    06...20...00...02:36 AM......External tank in stable replenish mode
    06...17...00...02:39 AM......Ascent flight control team on console
    06...05...00...02:51 AM......Astronaut support personnel comm checks
    05...35...00...03:21 AM......Pre-ingress switch reconfig
    05...16...00...03:40 AM......NASA TV launch coverage begins
    04...25...00...04:31 AM......Final crew weather briefing
    04...15...00...04:41 AM......Crew suit up begins
    03...50...00...05:06 AM......Resume countdown (T-minus 3 hours)

03...45...00...05:11 AM......Crew departs O&C building
    03...15...00...05:41 AM......Crew ingress
    02...25...00...06:31 AM......Astronaut comm checks
    02...00...00...06:56 AM......Hatch closure
    01...30...00...07:26 AM......White room closeout

01...10...00...07:46 AM......Begin 10-minute built-in hold (T-minus 20m)
    01...00...00...07:56 AM......NASA test director countdown briefing
    01...00...00...07:56 AM......Resume countdown (T-minus 20m)

00...59...00...07:57 AM......Backup flight computer to OPS 1
    00...55...00...08:01 AM......KSC area clear to launch

00...49...00...08:07 AM......Begin final built-in hold (T-minus 9m)
    00...24...00...08:32 AM......NTD launch status verification
    00...09...00...08:47:28 AM...Resume countdown (T-minus 9m)

00...07...30...08:48:58 AM...Orbiter access arm retraction
    00...05...00...08:56:28 AM...Launch window opens (placeholder; not needed for STS-134)
    00...05...00...08:51:28 AM...Hydraulic power system (APU) start
    00...04...55...08:51:33 AM...Terminate LO2 replenish
    00...04...00...08:52:28 AM...Purge sequence 4 hydraulic test
    00...04...00...08:52:28 AM...IMUs to inertial
    00...03...55...08:52:33 AM...Aerosurface profile
    00...03...30...08:52:58 AM...Main engine steering test
    00...02...55...08:53:33 AM...LO2 tank pressurization
    00...02...35...08:53:53 AM...Fuel cells to internal reactants
    00...02...30...08:53:58 AM...Clear caution-and-warning memory
    00...02...00...08:54:28 AM...Crew closes visors
    00...01...57...08:54:31 AM...LH2 tank pressurization
    00...00...50...08:55:38 AM...SRB joint heater deactivation
    00...00...31...08:55:57 AM...Shuttle GPCs take control of countdown
    00...00...21...08:56:07 AM...SRB steering test
    00...00...07...08:56:21 AM...Main engine start (T-6.6 seconds)
    00...00...00...08:56:28 AM...SRB ignition (LAUNCH)

The major events after launch until Zero Gravity has been reached,also the Abort options during ascent.
    again times are EDT

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts134/fdf/134ascent.html
    Crew are now awake and having breakfast!:)

• Advertisement

Excess gas being burned off during tanking.NASA PAO in funny humor,says "No doubt we will get many phone calls to tell us our Shuttle is on fire":)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25138.0;attach=290196;image

Reporting in from the west coast of de merica.

No incidents to report. Food level is nominal but sleep is required. Will be back online at 04:00 PST, 07.00 EST, 11:00Z

Beeker reporting in for launch!:)Crew up and tanking in progress.
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25138.0;attach=290231;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25138.0;attach=290235;image

Beeker reporting in for launch!:)Crew up and tanking in progress.

bout feckin time! after all You started this thread Mister!:pac::)
    Mornin thecommander!:)

Fueling is complete and has gone into 'stable replenish'
    Ice team and close out crew are heading to the Pad

Unusual picture of the Ice team and close out crew arriving at the pad.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25138.0;attach=290264;image

bout feckin time! after all You started this thread Mister!:pac::)
    Mornin thecommander!:)

Fueling is complete and has gone into 'stable replenish'
    Ice team and close out crew are heading to the Pad
    Morning clln! Working this morning so I needed my beauty sleep:)

Morning clln! Working this morning so I needed my beauty sleep:)
    i bet you did!:D

Don't forget anybody who is at work and cannot have anything on screen the link that Jake 1 kindly posted on first launch attempt.
    plenty of chatter from Ice and closeout team going on.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=alert

The heaters and LCA have been tested and are fine.
    The Ice team have found some ice but too early to say if it is going to be a problem,as i'm typing i hear close-out crew reporting ready for Crew ingress.

Pics below are of Closeout crew and ice team at work.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25138.0;attach=290289;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25138.0;attach=290293;image
    The Final Inspection Team is out at the launch pad to scan the vehicle for any ice or debris concerns following fueling operations. The team is responsible for checking the shuttle and launch pad one last time prior to liftoff.

The team is comprised of engineers and safety officials from NASA, United Space Alliance and tank-builder Lockheed Martin. At the conclusion of their two-hour tour-of-duty, the team will have walked up and down the entire fixed service structure and mobile launcher platform.

The team is on the lookout for any abnormal ice or frost build-up on the vehicle and integrity of the external tank foam insulation.

The team uses a portable infrared scanner that gathers temperature measurements on the surface area of the shuttle and can spot leaks. The scanner will be used to obtain temperature data on the external tank, solid rocket boosters, space shuttle orbiter, main engines and launch pad structures. The scanner can also spot leaks of the cryogenic propellants, and due to its ability to detect distinct temperature differences, can spot any dangerous hydrogen fuel that is burning.

The team wears the highly visible day-glow orange coveralls that are anti-static and flame resistant. Each member also has a self-contained emergency breathing unit that holds about 10 minutes of air.

Jaysus it's crap following this by phone! Looking good so far.:)

• Advertisement

Jaysus it's crap following this by phone! Looking good so far.:)
    Welcome aboard. Strap in and prepare for comm check:)

Advertisement