Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC wont start after HW upgrade help me please

Options
  • 15-04-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All

I installed a new mobo/cpu/ram/psu/dvdburner but kept my old HDD. thinking that it would work. well when i power it on I get as far as select safe mode screen when i select any of the options it goes to load then powers down,

I changed it to boot from the DVD drive as I have orignal restore cd that came with the pc years ago but when it starts I get an error and it just reboots. it thinks the dvd drive is the a:/ It is sata if that makes any difference

What can i do I have no floppy drive as there is no where to connect it to on the mobo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I'm no expert (so this may be wrong) but with so much new hardware and a new processor I would have thought you may need to reinstall the OS. XP is meant to be okay at changing hardware but you seem to have changed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi thanks for the reply I tried to reinstall and it wont work either???

I'm really unsure what to do now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

doccy wrote: »
    I'm no expert (so this may be wrong) but with so much new hardware and a new processor I would have thought you may need to reinstall the OS. XP is meant to be okay at changing hardware but you seem to have changed a lot.

This was my first thought on reading the problem, but it doesn't explain why the DVD drive isn't recognised. Either way, once the DVD drive is recognised you will have to reinstall the OS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All

I installed a new mobo/cpu/ram/psu/dvdburner but kept my old HDD.

Unfortunately that's not a hardware upgrade, that's a new pc.

The reason why it will not boot into windows is prob because the Windows licence you have is linked to your old hardware and will not work for this new pc.

I'd recommend that you Buy a new hard-drive and depending on what you want to do with your new pc either buy a Windows licence for about 80euro or just use a free version of linux.

You should prob also buy a second case + dvd drive so then you can re-use the older parts and make a second pc to either sell or give away.

Could be a few different things.
    Xp Disc could be scratched. Make sure all the components are installed correctly.
    If you are really stuck download Ubuntu (if you can), burn it to a cd and try install that. That will at least tell that everything is installed correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How many HDD's did you have in your old machine?

Press F12 on startup, boot from the HDD, and ensure you select the correct drive. Sounds like it's looking at a partition that is not there, and rebooting.

For example, the boot manager says the drive is at disk 3, partition 2, but as the drive is now at disk 1 partition 2, and nothing is at disk 3, partition 2, it just reboots.

Effluo wrote: »

The reason why it will not boot into windows is prob because the Windows licence you have is linked to your old hardware and will not work for this new pc.

I'd recommend that you Buy a new hard-drive and depending on what you want to do with your new pc either buy a Windows licence for about 80euro(although some would download illegal versions) or just use a free version of linux.

You should prob also buy a second case + dvd drive so then you can re-use the older parts and make a second pc to either sell or give away.

NO you would only "officially" need to do this if the licence you got was an OEM licence. In this case, just get the dvd drive to work and reinstall windows.
    OP can you tell us exactly what happens when trying to boot from the DVD drive.

doccy wrote: »
    If you are really stuck download Ubuntu (if you can), burn it to a cd and try install that. That will at least tell that everything is installed correctly.

If the dvd-drive doesn't read then you could also boot using an external hard-drive or flash usb stick. There's a guide how to do this on the computer & tech forum

I'd recommend that you Buy a new hard-drive and depending on what you want to do with your new pc either buy a Windows licence for about 80euro(although some would download illegal versions) or just use a free version of linux.

you shouldn't need to buy a new hard drive (unless its faulty) as you can just format it like new. I did have that problem before with a copy of XP being tied to a motherboard and I can't remember if it lets you have a thirty day trial period or not lol.

The disc i have is a restore disc not a copy of windows so I guess thats why it does not work.

the dvd drive does appear to work as when i put the cd in i get a screen asking if i want to reinstall windows, it's only after this i get some errors one is saying some file cant be found and the other says something about not being a cd rom drive.

• Advertisement

Dacelonid wrote: »
    NO you would only "officially" need to do this if the licence you got was an OEM licence. In this case, just get the dvd drive to work and reinstall windows.

Your right about the OEM + retail part, but i'm pretty certain that there's no way around it if it is an OEM licence.

Also it's highly likely that the op's version is an OEM copy

The disc i have is a restore disc not a copy of windows so I guess thats why it does not work.

the dvd drive does appear to work as when i put the cd in i get a screen asking if i want to reinstall windows, it's only after this i get some errors one is saying some file cant be found and the other says something about not being a cd rom drive.

Then you need to ahem...source a fresh copy of Windows 7.

Your right about the OEM + retail part, but i'm pretty certain that there's no way around it if it is an OEM licence.
    Not so sure about that. I had OEM version of windows before and had problems activating it. Rang the activation phone number, told them I had put in a new harddrive (which is true) and they activated it over the phone for me. All they wanted to know was that I wasn't putting it on another computer.

when i boot with the restore cd in it asks do i want to reinstall windows XP i click yes

then it comes up with a screen saying cant access R:/5220.gho there is a name on top of the screen symantec could that be the old mobo manufacture

If i select option 2 which boot cd to dos prompt i can a A:/ and if i type dir i can see the contents of the cd so does that mean its working.

OP can you tell us exactly what happens when trying to boot from the DVD drive.

All they wanted to know was that I wasn't putting it on another computer.

Which is what the op is pretty much doing.
    Even though the op doesn't plan on using it with two computers at the same time, it's still being put onto essentially a different computer.

Also they've come down a bit harder on the whole "The motherboard died :pac:" line which everyone was using. They have changed their policies on that i think.

How can i test the dvd to make sure all is working.

can i make a dvd boot disc using windows/linux just so i can test to see if the dvd/pc is working ??

Which is what the op is pretty much doing.
    Even though the op doesn't plan on using it with two computers at the same time, it's still being put onto essentially a different computer.

Also they've come down a bit harder on the whole "The motherboard died :pac:" line which everyone was using. They have changed their policies on that i think.

As for the OP's problem, I guess because it is a rescue disk it isn't going to work in the new rig as it is looking for the original system, or possibly even looking for a rescue partition. The only options might be to get a windows install disk, or make a linux one

How can i test the dvd to make sure all is working.

can i make a dvd boot disc using windows/linux just so i can test to see if the dvd/pc is working ??

If I were you I would put linux on a usb stick, that way you could boot from the usb stick and check if the drive is working.

You could also run other diagnostics to see if anything isn't.

I don't think that your problem is with the dvd drive though

Edit i found one called NimbleX and am dl that now only have 1 meg BB so will take some time.

can you recommend a link to dl linux google is not much help.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi OP,

Is the HDD that you are using SATA or PATA?

If SATA, make sure that you have set the HDD boot order for the HDD in the BIOS, that is, to boot from the default boot SATA plug on th MoBo, usually SATA 0 or SATA1 and save the BIOS settings/changes.

The XP recovery disc, does it have SP2 on it?

You will need to have SP2 so that the SATA drivers can be loaded to continue the XP install. If it doesn't have SP2 you'll need an XP disc with SP2 included to enable the driver for SATA.

• Advertisement

HDD is PATA dvd drive is SATA

I didnt know what sata was untill 2 am last night when i ound i had no where to plug my 2 dvd drives into :(

I am going to try the linux boot them it looks like i will have to upgrade to windows7 as my cd is a restore one for the pc not a windows cd

so I have dl nimbleX and burnt it to a dvd I boot the pc and it goes to load it gets to the loading nimbleX screen red bar goes half way across and it does no more just sits there ????

anyone any ideas

Thanks

so I have dl nimbleX and burnt it to a dvd I boot the pc and it goes to load it gets to the loading nimbleX screen red bar goes half way across and it does no more just sits there ????

Writing these cd's is not a very reliable process. Just another reason to go with a usb instead.

Make sure when you're writing it that you set the speed to at least lower than half the speed stated on the disc. This will improve the chances of making a good one.

I dont think its the CD if i click esc i get a screen showing the files its loading and it is giving some sort of udev subsystem error saying cant access device.

I tried one of the old dvd drive connected to the IDE connector and it was the same

I dl the ultimate boot disc and tested memory and cpu and all looked ok.

Its so far above my head now i really dont know what to try next.

:(

Try make another cd or just put it on a usb device, It would be the next step for sure!

I really doubt you have a problem with any hard-ware.

Try make another cd or just put it on a usb device, It would be the next step for sure!

I really doubt you have a problem with any hard-ware.

loading Linux from a usb is harder than it sounds.
    here is a link to Ubuntu.

lol. With all due respect, downloading an iso, burning it to a cd and hitting next a lot does seem easier. Can't say I've had too many problems with cds :D

I went and bought some more dvd's so I am going to DL ubuntu and try that.

If i could just find out if all the hardware was ok i would be happy. i will order a new hdd and windows 7 i will use the old hdd with the old components in a new case as a spare pc.

thanks to everyone for the help so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If we're talking about Windows XP here then you should still be able to reinstall on the new rig just fine. If you don't have an OS disk you'll have to borrow one off a friend - make sure its the same version of XP though! (Home, Pro, Media Centre, 64bit etc.). Then all you have to do is reactivate it over the phone using the automated service. Just remember to change the license key to the one on your old case's (or hidden among your documentation) license sticker before you phone through the numeric code it generates!

Advertisement