Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC wont start after HW upgrade help me please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Solitaire wrote: »
    If we're talking about Windows XP here then you should still be able to reinstall on the new rig just fine.

Are you sure about that, because I remember around a year ago I researched it and found that you couldn't do it.

This is pretty much a new pc.

You definitely will not be able to do it if your old pc was bought from Dell or another manufacturer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I was able to with old Dells, there might be some problem with the newer ones but AFAIK if you have the original license key and a matching installation disc (same "type" of XP) you should be able to get XP back again. Its Vista and 7 that have the arse-tard OEM licensing rules (basically, once the mobo is smoked, so are you :()

(basically, once the mobo is smoked, so are you :()

I don't really get what you mean, the op put in a new motherboard.

Also don't Dells with xp Use an auto-licencing thingy, where you don't put in the code as the windows activates itself because it's linked with your hardware.

Otherwise you will not be able to activate it, I'm actually 100% sure on that.

I reformatted a laptop and had to get the specific Dell xp which was originally installed on it. It wouldn't work any other way, even when I rang the number they said my code was wrong or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Well I am up and running on Ubuntu I have never seen it before but it seems to be ok.

I can access all the Files so I can do a proper back up and then change over to windows 7

I dont mind upgrading I just wanted to make sure all the hardware was working.

Thanks again for all the help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Effluo wrote: »
    I don't really get what you mean, the op put in a new motherboard.

I was talking about OEM versions of Vista and 7, if your mobo dies or is replaced you have to buy a new OS license as well :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

eiei0 wrote: »
    Well I am up and running on Ubuntu I have never seen it before but it seems to be ok.

I can access all the Files so I can do a proper back up and then change over to windows 7

I dont mind upgrading I just wanted to make sure all the hardware was working.

Thanks again for all the help

Glad that worked for you.
    Whether your XP disc ever worked or not is a little irrelevant imho. It was unlikely your hardware was faulty in the first place. I'm not a microsoft fan but in fairness Windows 7 is worth the investment.

I was talking about OEM versions of Vista and 7, if your mobo dies or is replaced you have to buy a new OS license as well :eek:

Am I now remembering correctly that a W-xp Licence on a DELL or other manufacturer is different to a regular OEM that you could buy in the shop? The manufacturers licence is only good for the specific machine, but the regular OEM for self-builds can be used again.

It's either that or Windows have changed their policy altogether and are now not letting any licences being used twice with different hard-ware.

Advertisement