Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Player/Young player of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hart; Ivanovic, Dunne, Vermaelen, Evra; Valencia, Fabregas, Fletcher, Milner; Rooney, Drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Wasnt 21 the age for Young Playerof the year before.

Frisbee wrote: »
    A poll for what?

EDIT: SOTS deleted his post
    Was going to suggest a poll and then changed my mind. You are unrelenting Frisbee.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was going to suggest a poll and then changed my mind. You are unrelenting Frisbee.:rolleyes:

But what would the poll have been for?

Unrelenting? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Unearthly wrote: »
    Hart; Ivanovic, Dunne, Vermaelen, Evra; Valencia, Fabregas, Fletcher, Milner; Rooney, Drogba

and malouda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Maybe set up a poll to decide if we should have a poll. If it helps, i could set up a poll to see if we should have a poll to see if we should have a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Didier Drogba
    Cesc Fabregas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is that the team of the season?
    If so, good choice, Tevez might feel aggrieved, but fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not a good idea in all fairness.

• Advertisement

If that's the Team of the Season neither Vermaelen nor Fletcher deserve to be there imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

baz2009 wrote: »

Yep that's the team. Quite impressed with it myself to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

flahavaj wrote: »
    Not a good idea in all fairness.

thats just racist man..
    id like to suggest Kuszczak and Fabiański as they are both class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Unsurprising bias towards United. Fletcher over Lampard and Song FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fletcher over Lampard is a joke.

The young player of the year award needs to be changed. If you're nominated for the main award then you shouldn't be up for the young player award. Also 24 is a tad old to be winning that award at, should limit it to players who were 21 at the beginning of the season.

Originally Posted by baz2009

Why do you say that Baz (couldnt find link to your original post)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

How milner was chosen over cesc who's had the season of his life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Jigga wrote: »

So all players in England are biased towards United?! Fletcher deserves to be in there alongside Lampard. Song...no.

Milner is extremely over rated in my opinion. Yeah he has a great engine but his technique and passing ability is very limited. Plus I think the age limit has to be lowered for this award or ban double nominations.

Can't argue with Rooney for the main award though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a lack of Lampard makes the Team of the Year irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Can't argue with Rooney for the main award though!
    Well he couldn't win the Young Player of the Year award so if he wins Player of the Year it would be farcical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    a lack of Lampard makes the Team of the Year irrelevant.
    x 1,000

• Advertisement

Not too many people picked Lampard in their Teams of the Season in the thread we had a couple of weeks back.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lampard was poor for much of the start of the season as I recall when he was trying to fit into Ancelotti's new system, and while he deserves credit for his goals they tended to be in spurts. Not surprised they didn't vote for him. Nice to see Fletcher getting a bit of credit from his peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Not too many people picked Lampard in their Teams of the Season in the thread we had a couple of weeks back.

Just sayin'.

Plays for the wrong team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lampard was poor for much of the start of the season as I recall when he was trying to fit into Ancelotti's new system, and while he deserves credit for his goals they tended to be in spurts. Not surprised they didn't vote for him. Nice to see Fletcher getting a bit of credit from his peers.

I really can't believe how underarted Lampard is particularly here on boards, he consistently scores season in season out from midfield.

Just sayin'.

personally, I've been guilty in the past, especially earlier this season, of what many have been guilty of....taking him for granted.

that is the only reason he hasn't made these teams of the season, as well as the PFA one IMO.

i'd imagine Fletcher got into a few of those teams too? many are blinded by how much he's improved, and forget how good someone like Lampard still is compared to him.

Vermaelen -> A defender who can defend. Roger Johnson maybe.
    Fletcher -> Lampard

And then it might be more representative of the team of the season.

Also Milner hasn't played LM this season has he? Surely there is LM's better than him.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Also Milner hasn't played LM this season has he? Surely there is LM's better than him.

if Malouda hadn't only started being immense from January/February-ish, he'd have to be considered a shoo-in for that.

another reason why the team is so irrelvant.

personally, I've been guilty in the past, especially earlier this season, of what many have been guilty of....taking him for granted.

that is the only reason he hasn't made these teams of the season, as well as the PFA one IMO.

i'd imagine Fletcher got into a few of those teams too? many are blinded by how much he's improved, and forget how good someone like Lampard still is compared to him.

Didn't you pick Tom Huddlestone?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I really can't believe how underarted Lampard is particularly here on boards, he consistently scores season in season out from midfield.

It's not just about goals though it's about overall contribution and he wasn't always as great as he's been for most of 2010. 4 of his goals were in the hammering of Villa for example.

He's a terrific player but he was out of sorts at times. Obviously the players went for consistency throughout the season and they felt he was lacking in that area. I can understand that.

Didn't you pick Tom Huddlestone?;)

i did.

and as i've said, i've underrated Lampard.

and either way, he was well ahead of Fletcher in my pecking order.

and i get things wrong sometimes ;)

• Advertisement

i did.

and as i've said, i've underrated Lampard.

and either way, he was well ahead of Fletcher im pecking order.

Ah yeah.

Fletcher surprised me too tbh.

I'd have put Song ahead of him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No qualms with Fletcher being in the squad, but really however Milner got young player ahead of Fabregas is a shambles. Was Milner up for most overrated player of the season too? Let's just compare the stats of players who are in similiar roles Lampard v Milner.

Lampard Goals: 20
    Milner Goals: 7
    Lampard Assists: 14
    Milner: 12
    Lampard Cards: 0 Yellow/ 0 Red
    Milnder Cards: 5 Yellow/ 0 Red

I know it's superficial judging him on stats, but that said numbers don't lie. Feltcher's in the team because he keeps the team ticking and organized and is a beast defensively,but what does Milner add?

IMO, it's a shambles in itself that Lampard wasn't even nominated. Same as last season aswell. Do the young player of the year automatically get a spot in the team of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jigga wrote: »

Fletcher was better than Song. You might have a point with Frank

no lucas either! bleedin joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Ah yeah.

Fletcher surprised me too tbh.

I'd have put Song ahead of him too.

For Shame... -1

Fletcher has been class and has certainly merited his place in the team.

Osu wrote: »
    Fletcher has been class and has certainly merited his place in the team.

now be honest...

you can't just say 'he's been class'. he undoubtedly has, but he's still nowhere near the quality of Frank.

that's like saying 'Zamora's been class', which he has, and throwing him in the team, but forgetting the likes of Rooney, Drogba, Tevez, who have still been better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fletcher dragged United through an awful lot of matches this season. I think he's up there. In terms of the central midfield pairing of two, I'd have him in there frankly. I think thats what most people when they vote would think, two central midfielders, attacking, Fabregas, defensive, hmm, Fletcher.

Frankly, I dont think theres been a better defensive midfielder in the league this year and neither do the players who play in the premiership.

---

Good to see Dunne get on the list, well deserved after the season he has had. The rest are fairly expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also worth noting that while Fabregas didn't win young player of the league, Rooney didn't either. Now its not possible for Rooney not to also be the best young player because he was teh best player, but when people vote, they exclude Rooney from it because he was in contention for the top player award. I'd say the same thing happened with Fabregas, voting him top player and Milner top young player. As such, Milner wins a ****load of votes for people who voted Rooney/Fabregas number one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Milner 24. Rooney 24, Fabregas 22, Hart 23.

How are these nominated for Young Player of the year. This combined with Giggs get POTY last year just proves that this whole awards is a joke imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Rooney and Fabregas

Cant see beyond them two.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

are they for real genuinely

whatever about the defence but am the lack of malouda and tevez is simply unbelievable. Fletcher and Valencia quick question what did valencia do till january.

Judging by these selections Henry deserves to win a fair play award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Congratulations to Richard Dunne.

Outstanding season and richly deserved.

has dunne not been pretty poor the last couple of months?

Mr Alan wrote: »

I actually think he's massively overrated on this board. He's been decent for Villa, but nothing exceptional. And people forget how many errors he made in his last season for City before they sold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No?

At the very least you are exaggerating the recent variance around his overall excellent form this season.

We really could have used him this season. Him and the Greek - there'd be no more goals conceded from setplays anyway!
    I actually think he's massively overrated on this board. He's been decent for Villa, but nothing exceptional. And people forget how many errors he made in his last season for City before they sold him.

Irrelevance number one: PFA awards, I am almost certain, are not voted on by members of boards.ie

Irrelevance number two: The awards are based on this season - his blip in form for City last season is of no consequence.

I am absolutely delighted there is some independent (and non-Irish) acknowledgment of his abilities - I think it really helps combat any arguments that we in Ireland are seeing something that others do not.

• Advertisement

ha true dat. pretty sure he's been more like his mistaken strewn self the last couple of months though.

ha true dat. pretty sure he's been more like his mistaken strewn self the last couple of months though.

I think it was more a case of Villa going through there usual Feb-March blip more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There has been the odd mistake lately compared to his perfect 6 months previous but to say mistaken strewn self is OTT. He does have an Achilles injury too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why cos he hasnt scored a goal from a set piece for ages is that it?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Why cos he hasnt scored a goal from a set piece for ages is that it?

What an odd statement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement