Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Player/Young player of the year.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Quazzie wrote: »
    Milner 24. Rooney 24, Fabregas 22, Hart 23.

How are these nominated for Young Player of the year. This combined with Giggs get POTY last year just proves that this whole awards is a joke imho.

23 at the start of the season and you qualify for young player of the year.

No Lampard in the team of the season?.....

Solid enough team though.

Iang87 wrote: »
    are they for real genuinely

whatever about the defence but am the lack of malouda and tevez is simply unbelievable. Fletcher and Valencia quick question what did valencia do till january.

Judging by these selections Henry deserves to win a fair play award

I think Valencia was brilliant for United for most of the season, the last month or two I don't think he has been as effective but he has had a very good season in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

flahavaj wrote: »
    What an odd statement.

Compared to this?
    I actually think he's massively overrated on this board. He's been decent for Villa, but nothing exceptional. And people forget how many errors he made in his last season for City before they sold him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

noodler wrote: »
    Compared to this?

Well, yes.

I think he's overrated on this board.

Nothing to do with his lack of goals, or his Irishness. I just think he's not as good as people think he is. Hardly an outlandish statement.

Well, yes.

I think he's overrated on this board.

Nothing to do with his lack of goals, or his Irishness. I just think he's not as good as people think he is. Hardly an outlandish statement.

Its a fair few irrelevant points when it comes to him being vote in the PFA team this seaosn though isn't it?

Also, you know as well as I do that his bad season at City last year was hardly representative of his time there when he won the club's player of the season award regularly. Surely this is a better thing to 'remember' if you wanted to allude to his overall form over the past few years rather than a blip?

Bringing his international performances into it would only strengthen the player's overall case.

Its a fair few irrelevant points when it comes to him being vote in the PFA team this seaosn though isn't it?

Also, you know as well as I do that his bad season at City last year was hardly representative of his time there when he won the club's player of the season award regularly. Surely this is a better thing to 'remember' if you wanted to allude to his overall form over the past few years rather than a blip?

Bringing his international performances into it would only strengthen the player's overall case.

Being City's player of the year the few seasons before last is hardly anything to boast about in all fairness.

He's not as good as people think he is IMO, you're not making a very good case on his behalf either tbh.

Being City's player of the year the few seasons before last is hardly anything to boast about in all fairness.

He's not as good as people think he is IMO, you're not making a very good case on his behalf either tbh.

I actually am, but I hardly need to.

Look at the patheticness you have resorted to already?

Also, you want to criticise him for mistakes made at City but don't want to praise him for being their best player? I hope the hypocrisy is not lost on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

SlickRic wrote: »
    now be honest...

you can't just say 'he's been class'. he undoubtedly has, but he's still nowhere near the quality of Frank.

that's like saying 'Zamora's been class', which he has, and throwing him in the team, but forgetting the likes of Rooney, Drogba, Tevez, who have still been better than him.

I don't think Lampard deserves to be there in the calendar year of 2009 over Fletcher.

Premier League Stats 2009/10:

6 goals 8 Assists for the first half of the season compared to 14 Goals and 12 Assists for the Second half of the season so far with 2 games left.

2009 Calender Year:
    10 Goals and 14 Assists.

Jan-April 25th 2010
    14 Goals and 12 Assists

I think 2009 wasn't the greatest year by Frank Lampard's high standards. He's been class from Janurary on IMO.

Fletcher plays a different position to Lampard to there is no point in brining his Goals/Assists stats into the argument.

I just don't think 2009 was as good of a year for Frank Lampard compared to how Fletcher played in 2009. Just my opinion. But he has been excellent overall this season.

But the award is for the calender year if I'm correct. If not my argument is an epic fail.

This is Lampard's forth successive year in a row failing to make the PFA Team of the Year.

Bit surprising that, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Osu wrote: »
    This is Lampard's forth successive year in a row failing to make the PFA Team of the Year.

Bit surprising that, actually.

which supports my point that he is grossly under-appreciated.

his stats and performances are taken for granted.

f*ck it, i forgot about him until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

SlickRic wrote: »
    which supports my point that he is grossly under-appreciated.

his stats and performances are taken for granted.

f*ck it, i forgot about him until recently.

I'd agree with that. Bit shocking when I found that out myself.

Absolute world class player though.

I just hope he plays sh*te while he's at Chelsea. Which rarely happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Lampard is essentially a victim of his own success in the role he plays. If any other player managed in one season what he does regularly they would walk into the team of the season and all the shortlists too.
    He is to some degree "expected" to do it every season, so it doesn't really stand out anymore. Imagine the praise Milner would get if he managed 20 goals in a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Essien wrote: »
    Lampard is essentially a victim of his own success in the role he plays. If any other player managed in one season what he does regularly they would walk into the team of the season and all the shortlists too.
    He is to some degree "expected" to do it every season, so it doesn't really stand out anymore. Imagine the praise Milner would get if he managed 20 goals in a season.

I'd agree with this assessment alright.
    The fact he's expected to do it consistently causes people to almost take him for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the ceremony for this is televised tonight on Sky Sports 1 at 6pm and repeated on the same channel at 10:15pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the only one id have a problem with is evra imo ashley cole has been by far the best lb in the league this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

The pfa awards are a joke milner wins young player of the year so is effectively regarded to have had a better season to Rooney. Then Rooney wins senior player of the year (thoroughly deserved) and milners not nominated, totally senseless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

redzerdrog wrote: »
    the only one id have a problem with is evra imo ashley cole has been by far the best lb in the league this year

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Headshot wrote: »
    lol

what so funny ashley cole has been brilliant when fit

redzerdrog wrote: »
    what so funny ashley cole has been brilliant when fit

first off you picking a player who has been injured for a good bit of this season over a player who has played every PL game for utd, Evra has been utd's 2nd best player this season and has gone onto captain side a couple of times this season

there's no doubting Cole abilities but to say he deserves to be ahead of evra is truly laughable. If cole didnt pick up the injury you may have a case but your case is null and void tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

first off you picking a player who has been injured for a good bit of this season over a player who has played every PL game for utd, Evra has been utd's 2nd best player this season and has gone onto captain side a couple of times this season

there's no doubting Cole abilities but to say he deserves to be ahead of evra is truly laughable. If cole didnt pick up the injury you may have a case but your case is null and void tbh

In fairness Cole has made only 4 appearences less than giggs had for the whole of last year and he won player of the year

• Advertisement

In fairness Cole has made only 4 appearences less than giggs had for the whole of last year and he won player of the year

ugh lets not start this again

I actually am, but I hardly need to.

Look at the patheticness you have resorted to already?

Also, you want to criticise him for mistakes made at City but don't want to praise him for being their best player? I hope the hypocrisy is not lost on you.

Whats pathetic about pointing out that his being club POTY three seasons ago (for a team that was mediocre to say the least) is hardly he greatest achievement in the world?

Hes a pretty error prone defender who had a poor season in his last year for City. He's been better this season but hasn't been as good as you would think to read some of the praise he gets on here sometimes.

Fair enough point I think tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Whats pathetic about pointing out that his being club POTY three seasons ago (for a team that was mediocre to say the least) is hardly he greatest achievement in the world?

Hes a pretty error prone defender who had a poor season in his last year for City

none of which has anything to do with this season

Helix wrote: »
    none of which has anything to do with this season

I know. It was noodler brought all that stuff up about a few years back, I was only replying to him.

I did refer to this season, but you conveniently chose to omit that from your quote I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

coz it was a pretty silly point

hes been a rock this season

Helix wrote: »
    coz it was a pretty silly point

hes been a rock this season

Hes been good, I'm certainly not going to deny that.

I just don't think hes as good as most people say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Hes a pretty error prone defender who had a poor season in his last year for City. He's been better this season but hasn't been as good as you would think to read some of the praise he gets on here sometimes.

Fair enough point I think tbh.

If you look at the Villa defence before he joined and at it after, you can see the benefits of Dunne. I think he deserves his place in team of the year. Man City would be better with him, and I think Arsenal would too.

If you look at the Villa defence before he joined and at it after, you can see the benefits of Dunne. I think he deserves his place in team of the year. Man City would be better with him, and I think Arsenal would too.

I don't necessarily disagree that he deserves to be on the team of the year. Its been a pretty poor year for central defenders when you think about the usual suspects etc.

Doesn't mean he's not overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

True, he'd be a great back up for Vermaelen, Gallas and Campbell

How is it laughable? Cole has been injured since March but aren't these teams picked before then? Cole has hit the heights of his Arsenal form this season and has been pretty exceptional for us up until he got his injury in March.

That gents, is what I like to call the flahavaj shuffle!

I brought up the City thing, eh?

No, you mentioned last season first. Play fair now.

• Advertisement

That gents, is what I like to call the flahavaj shuffle!

I brought up the City thing, eh?

No, you mentioned last season first. Play fair now.

Is that like an Ali shuffle?:pac:

I was merely replying to your point about being City's Player of the Year the season before last and someone else asked me why. I did bring up his form the season he was sold, but thats not the point that was queried.

This is all rather pedantic and unnecessary tbh. I didn't expect many to agree with me, Dunnes overratedness (its is a word, I just made it up) being what it is.:pac:

... flahavaj shuffle!.....

^^^^^^^

The noodler dodge.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i have my own shuffle. youtube 'mr alan shuffle' if ya want proof :D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i have my own shuffle. youtube 'mr alan shuffle' if ya want proof :D

I lol'ed

man you got the moves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Johner wrote: »
    I think Valencia was brilliant for United for most of the season, the last month or two I don't think he has been as effective but he has had a very good season in fairness.

in fairness could you say his 9 assists and 5 goals deserve more recognition than lampards 20 goals and 13 or 14 assists or maloudas 12 goals and 8 assists.

anyway it makes you genuinely wonder do players know anything about football, they must never actually watch games given that team and giggs last year.

in fairness could you say his 9 assists and 5 goals deserve more recognition than lampards 20 goals and 13 or 14 assists or maloudas 12 goals and 8 assists.

anyway it makes you genuinely wonder do players know anything about football, they must never actually watch games given that team and giggs last year.

Definitely not but because they vote so early it wont be accurate for the whole season. Why they don't vote in April or May I really don't know.

don't they vote middle of march? its not THAT early

Mr Alan wrote: »
    don't they vote middle of march? its not THAT early

I thought it was Jan or Feb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Or maybe, just maybe, they judge different things.

PHB wrote: »
    Or maybe, just maybe, they judge different things.
    Perhaps. But one thing is for sure, with some of the idiotic calls they've made over the last number of years, watever it may be they're looking at, they're wrong!

Advertisement