Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade PSU questions

Options
  • 15-04-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I'm about to upgrade the psu on dell dimension 9200 from dell 350W to Corsair VX550W. I've got a powerful one now as I'm hoping to build my own in a couple of years so I'm looking to components that will last.

I've been reading the manual for the dimension and I've been in the machine but cant find the slot for 4 PIN internal power. If anybody can indicate..

I wonder if I need this connection? Would the 24 connect power the machine without this link?

There are a couple of jump leads connected to the mobo now. Should I just take them out?
    Do you remove everything? I'm asking 'cos I've seen a couple of connectors that don't seem to be present in the crucial kit online. Bottom line I guess I'm asking if I have to remove all current connections.

I've replaced cards and I'm about to replace the cpu chip which will be a doddle compared to the power upgrade.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Anything?
    I'm a bit wiser now having removed and replaced the board but I'm still not sure about all of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Jump leads?!?!? :eek: You really shouldn't have those in your PC! :P

Are you referring to the ATX12V connector? Can't run a modern PC without it, the CPU draws its power from it. I think its just a bit down from the top left corner of a Dim9200 mobo, might be partially hidden with the CPU cooler in place though. Look "above" the CPU cooler and to the left of the DIMM slots (so quite near the drive cages which might also be blocking the view a bit if the mobo's currently in situ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

This might help

Thanks a lot.
    I've seen the manual but I can't find that connection on it...the rest is fine now...cheers :)

Five minutes later...got it!
    Cunningly disguised on chart as 'processor power connector'...its all in the language and the learning curve can be a little steep some days ...thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement