Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A or A1 ?

• 15-04-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Doing the theory test on monday morning and I have read on the forum that the test is good for both A and A1 learner permits. My predicament is this - I am buying a 125cc scooter for commuting and at the moment I have no intention of needing anything bigger as the scooter does about 85-90km/h which is grand. But I wanted to know if perhaps I should apply for both A and A1 learner permits should I in the next year or so decide I want something bigger. My reasoning for applying for both is that I could equally decide I have no intenion of going above 125cc and if I only had an A license I would need to get lessons and rent a larger bike for the purposes of the test which will cost money I might not have. The way I look at is by applying for both I give myself the option for the sake of an extra €15. What would be peoples thoughts/advice ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There is no real logical reason to limit yourself to a 125cc scooter just because you are driving one now.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Go for both, or rather, just A, which covers both. Im presuming youre over 18? You leave yourself the option then of moving up in size, and of taking the A test, which is the better option long term. If you take the A1 test, youll still need to reapply for an A learner permit and to take the test again if you ever want to move to a bigger bike. I know you think you never will, but who knows?

If you do your test on an A1 class bike thats the licence youll get anyway.

I've hardly ever seen anyone who is into bikes staying on an A1 licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

KamiKazi wrote: »
    A
    There is no real logical reason to limit yourself to a 125cc scooter just because you are driving one now.

It is the financial side that could be limiting.

I cant see myself ever going for a full on motorcycle.

The most I could ever see would be a 400cc scooter.

Can the A license be done on a scooter above 125cc or oes it need to be a proper bike ?

redout wrote: »
    It is the financial side that could be limiting.

I cant see myself ever going for a full on motorcycle.

The most I could ever see would be a 400cc scooter.

Can the A license be done on a scooter above 125cc or oes it need to be a proper bike ?

Needs to be above 125cc and have a manual gearbox.

• Advertisement

Needs to be above 125cc and have a manual gearbox.

Can these scooters above 125cc and manual gearbox be rented from schools for tests ? Looks like A seems to be the way to go then.

Can these scooters above 125cc and manual gearbox be rented from schools for tests ? Looks like A seems to be the way to go then.

Most instructors can provide bikes, usually they are restricted 600cc Bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 twowheels

do your best to go for the A licence, I guarantee that at some stage in the future you'll wish you had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Most instructors can provide bikes, usually they are restricted 600cc Bandits.

Most around here are renting out CB250s, much easier bike for the test and less daunting.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Most around here are renting out CB250s, much easier bike for the test and less daunting.

Really? Must be behind the times :p CB250 is a nice light little bike to learn on alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

A
    +1

Wouldn't consider a bandit daunting, Its just a heavy bugger thats all,easily managed by any rider up to test standard.

Aye, 250cc would seem the way to go. Just wondering of how much benefit if any would the Scooter would be as regards preparing for the test considering its automatic ? So when getting lessons for the test I will need to rent a bike as the scooter will not do. How many hours do you reckon I would be looking at considering I will have had aout 7-8months on the 125cc scooter at that stage.

I'd say 3 or 4 to get used to the clutch and gearbox should do the job.

That seems reasonable.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

hobochris wrote: »

Wouldn't consider a bandit daunting, Its just a heavy bugger thats all,easily managed by any rider up to test standard.

Depends on your size etc, it's a big bike and could put a learner off, especially if they're used to mopeds.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

One more question lads.

What are waiting times likes for Motorcycle tests compared to cars ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

similar enough when I was doing mine ~18 months ago

something to be aware of, is that not all test centers are capable of doing bike tests... I'm not sure how it is now, but I know initially a few people were delayed due to apply to the wrong centers

Im no help telling you which ones can do tests though, sorry (finglas for one, I believe...)

One more question lads.

What are waiting times likes for Motorcycle tests compared to cars ?

About 6-9 months for Tallagh. I applied in September last year, got my test just over a week ago.
    Wossack wrote: »
    similar enough when I was doing mine ~18 months ago

something to be aware of, is that not all test centers are capable of doing bike tests... I'm not sure how it is now, but I know initially a few people were delayed due to apply to the wrong centers

Im no help telling you which ones can do tests though, sorry (finglas for one, I believe...)

Finglas and Tallagh. Reason for it is that there has to be a 60kph zone on the test route for the emergency stop.

About 6-9 months for Tallagh. I applied in September last year, got my test just over a week ago.

That is insane! definitely need to apply the second you hit 6 months then.

Finglas and Tallaght only have 9/10 weeks wait for car tests - the pass rate is really low also - according to the website it is only 39/40%.

You can apply during the first six months of your license, you just can't sit the test during them.

• Advertisement

You can apply during the first six months of your license, you just can't sit the test during them.

ah, that changes things somewhat.

Thanks.

That is insane! definitely need to apply the second you hit 6 months then.

Finglas and Tallaght only have 9/10 weeks wait for car tests - the pass rate is really low also - according to the website it is only 39/40%.

Apply now and put down that you would like the test from "x" onwards.

The pass rate and waiting times are pretty much for cars only, they don't release stats for the other category's(might create a huge shock as to how inefficient it is).

But besides a few basic things the bike test seems very geared towards observation and good driving style rather then the anal view of the car tests where you must do everything their way and have your retarded maneuvers in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

A

To sum up:

- Get the A learners permit
    - after 6 months, you can do your full test
    - Do a pre-test leason on a 250 school bike
    - do your test on the 250 bike, and get the A licence.
    - wait for the two year restriction to end
    - buy a 1400ZZR/Fireblade/R1. :D

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

The pass rate and waiting times are pretty much for cars only, they don't release stats for the other category's(might create a huge shock as to how inefficient it is).

That reminds me, I emailed the RSA a while back to ask for a more detailed breakdown of pass rates, they sent this to me (they haven't compiled 2009 yet).

(This was after finding out the tester I had failed everyone, out of 6 bike tests, over the previous two days.)

Edit: For those interested, these are the parts most relevant to this forum:

Category Description Category Fail Pass Total % Pass
    Motorcycle (exceeding 125cc) A 948 2191 3139 70%
    Motorcycle (51-125cc) A1 203 140 343 41%
    Motorcycle(not exceeding 50cc and/or 45km/h) M 11 6 17 35%

I just can't get the above to format properly, sorry guys.

But basically 70% pass rate for bikes over 125cc, 41% for 51-125cc bikes, and 35% pass rate for below 50cc / 45km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Go for the A licence!

Just to confuse you more you can do the driving test on a scooter as long as it's a Vespa PX200 as it is a geared bike and above 125cc. That way you wouldn't have to bother with getting accoustomed to a heavier motorbike and its left footed controls.

You can get a good second hand PX200 for about 1,500 euro these days.

safe scooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

i have driver theory test next saturday of bike....i have full driving licence for car with 5 years so never had to do theory test...what book would i want to get for it...is there a different one for bikes...

josh3 wrote: »
    i have driver theory test next saturday of bike....i have full driving licence for car with 5 years so never had to do theory test...what book would i want to get for it...is there a different one for bikes...

You need this book or cd-rom http://dttstore.prometric.com/

Same book for everybody.

Motorcycles require that you learn the red and green sections only.

Theory test has been in for more than 5 years so not sure how you didnt do one unless you had a provisional long before that.

Passed the theory test this morning :D

Off to apply for the A permit.

Have to mention 2 foreign blokes who failed because their English was practically non-existant!

Seriously, what was the point ?

Hopefully on the road in the next few weeks.

Good man.

• Advertisement

Good man.

Cheers man.

Advertisement