Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno 9

Options
  • 15-04-2010 1:46pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Okay when start laying the ground work for our first Inferno SSF IV tournament.

First thing is we should be able to bring the entry fee down to €13 without affecting the prize pool. We had quite abit left over at the last event and with the numbers going up all the time we should be able to afford a slight reduction in entry fee.

Secondly we need to come up with a date.

I asked in the previous survey what weekend in the month to regularly host the tournaments but hardly anyone expressed a preference.

I would of assumed the last Saturday in the month would of been the preference. Can I get you guys to say what weekend you want.

If the preference is the last week in each month I could make an exception for the next tournament and host it mid May to avoid an overly long gap between the that event and the previous one. Without this it will be nearly 2 full months between each tournament.

Thirdly is the new Seeding system.
    We will start with a blank slate for the next tournament as its a new game.
    So it will be entirely random draw.

Also going to introduce a points system for seeding.

1st = 8 points
    2nd = 7 points
    3rd = 6 points
    4th = 5 points
    Joint 5th = 4 points
    Joint 7th = 3 points
    Joint 9th = 2 points
    Joint 13th = 1 point

So whoever the top 8 point scorer are will be the top 8 seeds.
    In the event of tie on points a single set match will be played at the event to determine the seeds order.

The next 8 best scoring players will make up the tier 2 seeds.
    The order of Tier 2 seeds does not matter, they will still be randomly assigned to groups.

Okay guys let us know what you think. Preferable answers that don't use the words I don't mind :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yea for €13!

As far as I remember, most people did express a preference for the last Saturday of every month, and I think having the next one mid May is the way to go, then fall into the mentioned format.

Everything else is fine I think. My only suggestion would be to instead of using the Xbox's we have been using (mostly on one side of the room) have it 50 /50 on both sides to allow groups more space etc. But that can be figured out closer to the dates.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd like mid month this once but I DON'T MIND :)

The only problem I can forsee with the seeding that way (is it the way you've always been using?) is that someone who is new but really good may have trouble getting into the top 8 for a while if they show up in say 6 months time.

Will this just be for Inferno or are you planning to include DSRB too?

That said, I realise no matter what you do there's always going to be a PAY YOUR DUES period for any new people, or else the whole thing'd fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

1) I don't like €13 as a figure for entry. If we can't bring it down to €10 then we shouldn't reduce it at all. Having said that I still would like to see it at €15 and keep saving to get better equipment/run bigger tournaments etc.

2) My preference would be for the last weekend of each month. However there is a lot of events that occur at the end of the month (Q-Con, SvB) so I'm going to vote for the middle of the month.

3) Seeding system sounds good. However will it be based on all tournaments or the most recent? I think it would be better if it was based on the last 3/4 tournaments. This would prevent someone from gaining a massive lead in the seed points and prevent someone new from getting into the seed rankings.

Alternatively you could do something along the lines of dividing the seed points by the number of tournaments the person has attended.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The only problem I can forsee with the seeding that way (is it the way you've always been using?) is that someone who is new but really good may have trouble getting into the top 8 for a while if they show up in say 6 months time.

Will if your in the top 8 we could simply kick you out :).

Perhaps a points decay system, where we only count the points for the last 3 tournaments or something like that.
    Will this just be for Inferno or are you planning to include DSRB too?

I'm not sure about including DSRB into the seedings. The numbers they have seem to be abit lower than ours. I think they only have 8 in the double elimination phase. Perhaps awarding half the number of points to people who make the top 8 at DSRB would balance it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im voting for the 2nd weekend of the month. Dont really care about seedings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

So 8th of May for this then lads? Or?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Too few people have spoken yet to know Sisko. See what the majority view is.

Azza wrote: »
    Will if your in the top 8 we could simply kick you out :).

Perhaps a points decay system, where we only count the points for the last 3 tournaments or something like that.

I'm not sure about including DSRB into the seedings. The numbers they have seem to be abit lower than ours. I think they only have 8 in the double elimination phase. Perhaps awarding half the number of points to people who make the top 8 at DSRB would balance it out.

Nah, I finished fourth in the last tournament. You'd prob want to knock someone lower down, say someone who came 9th :D

That's exactly why I was asking about DSRB, in some cases you'd get points simply for attending. Your solution works for me.

How about keeping a league with permanent points AND a decaying seeding system too?

Would that be too much work for you?

Half the number for top 8 makes sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Oh I know I'm just putting numbers out there to see what people are thinking.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

End of the month please! My final exams are on til mid may, but the timetable isn't up yet, so end of month ftw! Ye wouldn't want your favourite Non-Dublin Honda player to miss this, right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    End of the month please! My final exams are on til mid may, but the timetable isn't up yet, so end of month ftw! Ye wouldn't want your favourite Non-Dublin Honda player to miss this, right? :)

I think the next inferno is going to be mid-may regardless of this vote. Sorry Veggie.

Also this will decide when every inferno tournament is held from now on, so you should vote with that in mind (What about june when you're going away at the end of the month but are free in the middle? Hypothetical)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of going to another event and not finishing a game against you.

EDIT: Also, I'll be pretty busy for the forseeable future, but in general I'd reckon middle of the month would be handiest.
    Also, I definitely be against an awkward sum like €13. As said above, I'd keep it at €15 if you cant lower to €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I'm more in favour of 13.26 myself, 13 seems a bit random. Keep it at 15 i say.

I don't really care about dates i show up most weekends anyways, Mid-May seems a bit too soon if you ask me, the game will be out around 15 days and you want to have a ranking battle for it? I say wait a month minimum, give people a chance to figure it out.

Maybe end of may, if not mid june, then skip june & go into mid-july, Mid- August ETC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

13 sounds fine, and yeah last sat of month is perfect for me, that means I come every second week, once for casual and the next for tourney, so it suits me down to the ground

And yeah having the next one mid may instead of last sat of may would be fine, then fall into normal format, like Jim stated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I am voting for the first weekend of every month. We can do something different like a 2v2 tournament in the first weekend of May and then start up Inferno again properly in June when people have gotten to grips with it.

I'll also vote for keeping it at EUR15.00 if the change is going towards the community anyway.

Decaying seeds is also a good idea and half points for DS as they only do top 8 double elims.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

'I don't mind...'*

Having a clean slate for the new game will be exciting, there could be some very interesting group matches....

* Steve Martin's The Man With Two Brains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I'm still guaranteed a nightmare draw, I had blag, hound and doyler in my last group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

A-Trak wrote: »
    I'm still guaranteed a nightmare draw, I had blag, hound and doyler in my last group.

That's pretty bad, I drew DarkTalant, roogle and dunjohn

Me all alone with 3 boxers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Seeding by top 8 is good. I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Agree with Orim on keeping it at 15 euro, if we're getting money left over at the rate we were last time, it means that we're going to be able to fund equipment etc. quite fast (should be able to buy recording equipment after the next Inferno if we get around as much as last time).

Mid-May for the first tournament and then last Saturday of the month sounds grand.

Seeding I have no preference on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Bush???? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Agree with Orim on keeping it at 15 euro, if we're getting money left over at the rate we were last time, it means that we're going to be able to fund equipment etc. quite fast (should be able to buy recording equipment after the next Inferno if we get around as much as last time).

Mid-May for the first tournament and then last Saturday of the month sounds grand.

Seeding I have no preference on.

Seeding = fine;

Start/Mid/Late - doesn't matter, some will always have issues with any but if it is fixed then it will allow people to make arrangments so just pick one and stick to it!

Entry fee: I think that it should be kept at 15 for the time being. In order to grow this properly we are going to need capital for equipment and possible venue rental (xgc is already looking like it wont be big enough if we keep growing at this rate). By keeping it at 15 we will be able to build it up, get equip and run it like a not for profit business using retained earnings for investment for community needs.

I will say one thing guys, in order to grow this properly and in the good will way that has been done so far, I would suggest formalising a committee for its organisation whereby duties can be assigned. You can then vote yearly/bi-annually for a change to the committee based on nominations. Alternatively you could have a 'pool of willing' (can't help but thing of GWB's coalition of the willing here =p) and work of a rotation bases. Either way is fine by me but I think the voting one would be in the best interests of the community.

I cannot understate the importance of this move for the good of growing this to a sustainable level. I am not suggesting this because I am unhappy with how it has been done to date (In fact I think all those involved in the organisation have been exemplary so far) but if this is something that we want to grow then you need a fair structure like the one suggested. You could then assign a treasurer and open an account to organise the monies and protect the investment.

Just my 2 cents - I hold an MBA from Smurfit Business School and am willing to share my expertise and experience (if its useful) to this and I know there are others in the community who have some good ideas and are willing to help and make a go of it. e.g. Azza, Jim, Sisko ...... the list goes on and I am sure I would forget someone so I will use the .... to cover all, and then there are those who make the travel commitments from the north and west of the country. I also have a company with hosting platforms and web tech that will allow the growth of this from the website that will integrated with this forum..... More to follow on this one - I need to determine if this is desired by people, but again, this could be a decision the committee could make....

Anyway, if this belongs elsewhere and merits a separate discussion then Mods, by all means, move it to a new thread.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Bush???? :p
    At least it took til page 2 for someone to break out this joke :rolleyes:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I agree regarding the entry fee. 15 or 10 please. We need to avoid random coins if we can. The prize money would be plenty at 10. But with 15 we have money left over to buy recording equipment which is a good idea. So either amount is fine with me. Lets avoid 13,12 etc if we can.

Seedings system sounds like a good idea. Decaying also sounds smart. I would extend the decay amount to 5 Inferno's though. 3 is too few. A person could miss one tourney and drop out of the seeds altogether which is a bit naff.

I'm game for 1st week of the month or Last week of the month. It doesn't matter much to me. Although I do think 1st week would have less issues with holidays throughout the year. It will probably clash the least. But either is fine.

Also, what Ayjay said makes alot of sense. We should discuss that. :)

I've split Ayjay's suggestion off into it's own thread, try and keep this one to inferno stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Kirby wrote: »
    Although I do think 1st week would have less issues with holidays throughout the year. It will probably clash the least.

Aye 1st or 2nd week of the month would clash the least. Last week in Christmas would be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Xinkai wrote: »

Mid-May seems a bit too soon if you ask me, the game will be out around 15 days and you want to have a ranking battle for it? I say wait a month minimum, give people a chance to figure it out.

Maybe end of may, if not mid june, then skip june & go into mid-july, Mid- August ETC

I agree with this. 15 days of the new game(for those who can get it at launch) in addition to the random draw doesn't sound like the best idea. Though i understand the slate should be cleared for super!

End of may so we all have a month with the game and then stick to mid month for the ongoing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We just had an event on the first weekend of April and we're having the launch event on the first of May, so it makes sense to do the first weekend of June and then the first weekend of every month after that.

Most DS events have been mid month so it works out perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

We just had an event on the first weekend of April and we're having the launch event on the first of May, so it makes sense to do the first weekend of June and then the first weekend of every month after that.

Most DS events have been mid month so it works out perfectly.

Id agree with this more than anything else so far, gives time to get to grips with ssf aswel. So first week of the month for me, and 13e for damage limitation on my bank account as id be traveling a long way (every little bit helps :D). And the points decay system sounds on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Agree with the decayed seeding and half points for dragon slayers.

Also, both as €13 is a fiddely number change wise, and as the extra goes to a community pool, I'd say keep the €15 entry fee.

Advertisement