Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandeels

Options
  • 15-04-2010 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

About 5 years ago I bought loads of cheap frozen sandeels from a couple. I think they were based in Waterford. I want to buy more, does anybody know who I am talking about and would you have their contact details?
    Failing that, does anyone have a good source for good quality frozen sandeels? I find bait shops terribly expensive.
    Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

I don't know about buying them but I've caught many of them in rock pools in my time, if I had've known there was a market for them...! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

I don't know about buying them but I've caught many of them in rock pools in my time, if I had've known there was a market for them...! :rolleyes:

Any tips for catching them?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

yea i also would be really interested in knowing how to catch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Ah now, I couldn't really advise you on catching them in bulk but a friend of mine and myself used to explore rockpools off the coast of north Co. Mayo and we would catch about twenty or so in the hour...

Of course we just thought they were cool to play with and would release them after a while.

But yeah,
    one of those wee nets that kids have + rockpools = Sand eels

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

You can catch live sandeels using small lure rigs,
    mustad have some called bait catcher,
    or look for sabiki rigs, you will catch small sandeel and the bigger launce on these, use a light weight and keep the rig just under the surface,
    You can also collect them from the low water mark where they bury themselfs in the sand, or if u have a large landing net wade into the water pushing the net alond the bottom in front of you
    hope this helps flounder:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Ferreter

I would give Sabiki rigs a miss for anything other than Launce...

For anyone seeking the ovepriced sandeel in quantity, it is simple.

You can buy a seine net, weighted and floated for £25, take yourself and 2 willing fellows to the sea on the ebb tide...2 people pull the net against the tide while the third stays uptide shuffling his feet through the sand and driving them towards it...

I myself, have collected 240 sandeels in one pull like this, enough to keep an specimen hunter going for a while!

It is also possible but less productive to catch sandeels that have burrowed in the sand below the water with a "Vingler", althought I havent had a lot of success with one, but its down to technique

They can also be dug, but you need to dig out onto a sheet of plastic, as they are fast to get away...

Good luck with it...

Advertisement