Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Wexford Cycle

• 15-04-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all. Going to Wexford the May B/H weekend and have decided to cycle. Obviously the motorway is out so I am looking for a good route to cycle there.... about 150km max as I will have to cycle back the next day so don't want to over do it.
    Obviously I could get a GPS device to direct me but would prefer to know a.) what routes people have done and b.) any problems I might encounter along the way.

Thanks. Crosbie:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Google suggests this - looks plausible enough to me (you could also take the coast road via Bray, Greystones, Wicklow, Brittas Bay).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

loyatemu wrote: »
    Google suggests this - looks plausible enough to me (you could also take the coast road via Bray, Greystones, Wicklow, Brittas Bay).

Thanks Loyatemu have that one from google and another from the AA going through Blessington and Baltinglass.
    What I was really wonderin is info from people who have cycled either which would be best. And by 'best' I mean not the most challenging but challenging enough so I have something left in the legs for the home trip the day after.

The coast road run might be an option if the weather is good!! Thanks
    Crosbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Crosbie,

My inlaws are in Wicklow so regularly do the Skerries to Wicklow route and tend to stick to the coast . Have to veer in to Bray as motorway but then you can come back on N11 and have a decent hard shoulder down to Rathnew. After Wicklow town the coast road to Arklow is nice on a nice day and not against a howling headwind.
    Have continued down coast to Courttwon before and again found the road decent and actually fairly sheltered. After Courtown I can't helpI'm afarid.

How about with the wind go the coast and against wind go inland. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Here's a route just 5km over your target at 155km. Takes in Sally Gap, Shay Elliot, Slieve Maan and Mount Leinster. Bit hilly.

Alternatives would be straight out the N81 and then turning onto the N80 through Bunclody, Enniscorthy. 138km pretty flat.

Or something like this which I've done as far as Bunclody and has just a few minor hills considering it is through Wicklow.

Alternately heading over to Gorey from Carnew you can avoid the N11 entirely and go in to Wexford on an R road.

shaungil wrote: »
    Crosbie,

My inlaws are in Wicklow so regularly do the Skerries to Wicklow route and tend to stick to the coast . Have to veer in to Bray as motorway but then you can come back on N11 and have a decent hard shoulder down to Rathnew.

Ashford - Rathnew bypass is MWay now, you have to get off the N11 at Ashford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

blorg wrote: »
    Alternatives would be straight out the N81 and then turning onto the N80 through Bunclody, Enniscorthy. 138km pretty flat.

that's not a bad spin - I've gone that way as far as Bunclody (en route to Waterford) and there's not that much traffic for an N route. Enniscorthy to Wexford I have no idea about though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

For a scenic but not too hilly route, that I took a few years ago, head down through Enniskerry and on to Roundwood, taking the more straightforward R755 past the Sugar Loaf. From there head on down through Annamoe, Laragh, Rathdrum, Avoca and Woodenbridge to Arklow. Follow N11 to Gorey and then take the R741 through Ballycanew and stay on that road all the way to Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

did dublin to waterford a couple months ado,

drumcondra - home 186km

went n81 via blessington - baltinglass, if going to wexford it s a nice route onto bunclody, not too busy either if you head off early and no major hills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Greyspoke wrote: »
    For a scenic but not too hilly route, that I took a few years ago, head down through Enniskerry and on to Roundwood, taking the more straightforward R755 past the Sugar Loaf. From there head on down through Annamoe, Laragh, Rathdrum, Avoca and Woodenbridge to Arklow. Follow N11 to Gorey and then take the R741 through Ballycanew and stay on that road all the way to Wexford.

Where do you start & finish? if its East dublin - Wexford town, the above is the best option, however Blessington - Tullow - Bunclody - Ennscorthy could be a better option if you're in West Dublin. Bit too many motorways everywhere, but contrary to earlier posts the Ashford- Rathnew bypass is NOT motorway, but dual carriageway . (I'm from Wexford & drive this road 2-3 times per week)

spyderski wrote: »
    contrary to earlier posts the Ashford- Rathnew bypass is NOT motorway, but dual carriageway . (I'm from Wexford & drive this road 2-3 times per week)

you're wrong there: http://osm.org/go/es_ckPa--

blue line, blue signs, its a motorway - it was redesignated last summer, along with the Arklow and Gorey bypasses and a bunch of other dual-carriageways around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Thanks a million for all the replies folks. Apologies is ive caused an argument as to what constitutes a motorway!!:D
    Think im goin to go down the Blessington route and back by the coast. A friend has agreed to lend me his 705 for the trip so hopefully I wont b getting lost.
    TTFN Crosbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I think the 2009 route these guys use is same as greyspoke
    http://www.welcomehome.ie/wexfordcycle.htm

Done it last year and mostly good surfaced roads and mix of hills (first 1/4 has the worst(best?!) tho)

km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@crosbie: how did it go?

I'm planning on cycling this in a couple of weeks (D15 to Kilmore Quay, about 170km probably).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skittles_10

Hi im thinking of signing up for the Welcome Home (dublin-wexford) cycle on the 18th sept. Im new enough to cycle, just did the 100km Marie keating Cycle last weekend, so wondering what the pace is like and are tough is the route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hi im thinking of signing up for the Welcome Home (dublin-wexford) cycle on the 18th sept. Im new enough to cycle, just did the 100km Marie keating Cycle last weekend, so wondering what the pace is like and are tough is the route

You realise you have to raise 400 euro to ride it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skittles_10

penexpers wrote: »
    You realise you have to raise 400 euro to ride it?

ye, thats alright..

Advertisement