Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new phone

Options
  • 15-04-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I have never gone on the internet on any phone I have because
    1- I dont know how and
    2 -I always presumed that it must be mad expensive. When I am on line on my PC I can be on for ages at at time. If the equivalent was a call on my mobile I would use a months credit in one sitting.

I Usually use my phone for Text,( mostly) Calls ( some), calendar and calculator ( lots), camera ( some - more if I had more memory but I have a regular camera so not the biggest priority)

I have an ipod so dont think I would bother listening to music on it.
    IF internet wasnt mad expensive I might use it and try not get addicted.
    Dont want tiny smooth keys as I usually text with one hand and dont look at the keys too much.
    Have never tried a touchscreen and dont know if there is any advantage? Am I missing out here?

Not really sure what type of phone to consider. dont expect you to pick a specific model for me but perhaps a guide to what I should or should not be considering.
    What do you like or not like in phones?

I have been prepay as when I went bill pay my bill went mad for the same useage and I thought it was a ripoff.

Ps My daughter has a sliding lg with querty kepboard and has warned against getting a slide phone as it keeps switching itself off and lots of her friends say that sliding phones are a disaster so dont want one of those.

Now theres a challenge :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

draffodx wrote: »
    budget?

and what is your current phone and what do you like/dislike about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I have a Nokia E71, have a look at them... I like it and it can do everything you need and its nots a flip/slidey job either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Santa I have a nokia flip phone and I really like it . You dont have to lock the keyboard separately so you dont call people accidently. YOu can answer it or hang up by closing the lid. The screen doesnt get scratched and is a decent size. If you drop it or it gets a bit wet , it doesnt affect the workings as it doesnt get in behind the numbers or keys. Decent sized keys. is overall small so fits into a small dress handbag when i am forced to carry one - or in my arse pocket or in my small bumbag when I am out running .
    what I dont like is when i am sending a text and soem of the other things it does that I have to choose a million things from menu lists before I actually get to write the text.
    But they dont make flip phones anymore.
    Dont really have a price in mind but seeing as I dont think I would use or know how to use millions of apps dont really want to spend 300 on a phone for basic use.

By the way - is it mad expensive to use the internet on a mobile or am I just presuming it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

last question are you prepay or postpay and with who and do you mind switching if you can?

• Advertisement

IM with 02 and I am prepay. I used to be with vodafone but the coverage in my area is pretty bad for anyone other than 02 unless you want to hang outside the kitchen window for every call. Doesnt work in the rest of the house with any other network either

I guess...
    I need more information about touchscreen - advantages/disadvantages.
    Should I be using internet on it? If its not that expensive to use the web ( mainly checking email and chat boards etc) , maybe I should learn to use the facilities that the phone offers?
    Or should I just keep it simple and use it for basic stuff as I do now.
    I dont want to do office stuff on it , other wise when I leave work I will be taking it with me and I dont want to go down that road. Life is too short.
    A friend of mine in Dublin has an iphone and I swear to god it is not possible to have a regular conversation with him withou him having to go check something on it. It would drive you mad. Y ou darent even mention the sea without him checking theh tide tables or weather or **** like that. That kind of use is not for me.
    Does this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I recently went from using a dumb phone to a smart phone with a data connection and I've found that most tarrifs are pretty reasonable. AFAIK all the networks have a basic tarriff of €1 per day (which only applys to the days you actually use the data - although if you get a phone which does alot of background syncing the you will end up using it most days). You also have an option of paying on a monthly basis which works out around ¢40 a day. The only problem with internet on phones is the caps, basically you are capped to around 100MB a day, and if you go over that they will charge you through the nose for it. Personally I try to avoid downloading apps when I'm on 3G, but 100MB is grand for browsing. All of the carriers implement similar policies and none of them charge you internet by the minute.

Just a heads up these prices are all from Vodafone, on prepay, if your on billpay you can usually get data as part of your plan. But to be honest I find prepay to be better value, especially for data. Also I've been with them long enough to get a double credit add-on, so I'm only paying ¢20 a day, which is very reasonable.

Thanks so much for that knasher:D
    I cant believe how affordable that is . Definitley will go for that so. My daughter used to accidently log on to the web with a hotkey on her old phone and in a day she would use up 20 quid.
    Will look at phones a bit differently now too.
    Would touchscreen work better then if you are using internet stuff ?

Advertisement