Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Better At Guitar

Options
  • 15-04-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if the more experienced players could help me out here. I've been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years now, after doing it on and off, but never really getting anywhere, before then. I'm pretty proficient if I may say so, I can handle most lead riffs without too much trouble, my finger strength and ability have come on really well and I've got a pretty good head for music. I'm into the work of the usual suspects- SRV, Gallagher, Clapton, Gilmour et al.

The problem is, I can't get onto the next stage with my playing, and I know it. Practice necessarily isn't the problem, I have played quite constantly over the last few years, and I'm certainly ready for more over the summer- I just really don't want to be wandering aimlessly from tab to technique, hoping that something will rub off on me, and waste time. Tabs have made me so annoyed over the last year, when I realise I know more about the guitar and the song than the guys putting them up.

So, I guess my question is, what do I need to do to go up a step?(I know it's hard to asses when you haven't heard me play) I really feel that with the wealth of knowledge on the net at my disposal I should be a much better player. Hopefully some of you can give me a few hints on what's worked for you, I'm so sick of looking up badly-explained YouTube lessons or tabs by blokes who have no concept of the word 'key'.

Also, if any one could shed some light on how I'd get to grips with the more technical stuff with regards to pedal-boards and guitars themselves, I'd greatly appreciate it! I just don't understand how people get so knowledgeable about these things.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The simple answer is to find a good teacher. He/she can assess your playing and point you in the right direction for making more progress. It's amazing how much difference, say, half a dozen lessons can make. Take more if you can afford them.

IMO it's best to avoid tabs. They are ok up to a point, but they dont give you tempo, rhythm etc, they are just notes (mostly wrong ones at that, as you point out :rolleyes: ). Try playing by ear, and learn some basic theory. Depending on what you are going to be playing, learning to read music is worth while too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I was actually thinking the exact same thing, about wanting to get better, and I found some exercises to build up speed. I found these ones. I don't know how good they actually are, but in theory, they seem to be pretty good.
    It's a 1-2-3-4 thing on each string using alternate picking.

To add to this, playing the exercises along with a metronome is really good for picking up rhythm. Play one note per "tick", then playing two when you feel confident enough. Three is tricky though. Then you can either increase the tempo, or go for four notes per tick or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If you havent already, you should jam with someone better that you! you will learn a lot very fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Just try to pick out a simple melody for a song by ear. You will achieve this fairly fast as long as you don't give up. After you've done this once you'll realise how easy it is and that it's quite enjoyable.

Using tabs for too long can slow down your progress big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The best way to improve overall is to play with someone who is much better than you - preferably a teacher as Rigsby says, or just someone you can jam with if that's an option (King-stew's suggestion). And ask questions!

Try to narrow down what exactly you want to improve, and then you can work on it. It's easy to say you just want to get better, but there are many different areas you can improve in, and they will all help your playing.

If you want to improve your composition and improvisation, you need to improve your theory. This will make a big difference to your ability to improvise a solo. This can be done online or from books but is much easier with a teacher.

You can really only improve specific techniques such as bends, vibrato, arpeggios, sweep picking etc through practice.

I think working with tabs is a good option, especially as you have realised they are mostly wrong. If you start from that perspective they can give you a good starting point, and you can develop your ear while "fixing" whatever tab you find. Trying to work out a complex song with a lot of soloing can be daunting and a lot of work, if you use tabs as a rough guide that you can improve rather than the answer they can make it easier.

Soemthing that works for me when I'm stuck in a rut is to take a fairly long guitar solo (I like Gilmour or Clapton) and learn them note for note, but also trying to figure out why he played a particular note or run when he did. This improves my ear (figuring out the solo in the first place), my technique (trying to nail those bends and vibratos to perfection) and theory (what scale is he using? Mode? Does he switch to another one, when and why?). You need to choose something at the right level, not too easy but not something that's going to be beyond you.

As for gear, pedals can be bought and sold second hand easily enough, and are worth experimenting with. Amps and guitars can be more costly if you buy the wrong one, but there is a lot that can be learned online and then it's just a matter of trying them out in music shops until you decide on your next purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, I'll certainly try to take them on board. I was teaching myself theory for a while but I sort of dropped of for one reason or another- I'm using a lot of video lessons to get my playing up.

The thing about learning by ear is I haven't got a problem doing it, but I much prefer to 'learn from the masters'- case in point, I tried to learn Young Lust by Pink Floyd on my own, without any real knowledge of Gilmour's bending- ridiculously integral to every song he does. A bit of tabbing and a video lesson showed me the error of my ways, and by learning that one song through like that, I felt like my playing improved immensely. As Blackhorse Slim said, I like to use them in tandem with 'ear-work.'

I might look into getting a teacher, it's just that the last one I had was when I was 10 and after about four lessons assumed Stairway to Heaven would'nt be much of a challenge!

With regards to guitars themselves, I have a very, what I'd describe as a 'chordy' guitar. It's in very good condition, pick-ups etc., but it's not the most comfortable guitar I think. Could you guys recommend any? I've been looking around and I definately think I could be in range of a good second hand guitar for up to €300, are there any new developments in guitars that I should know about?

Thanks for your input everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

What make/design is your current guitar? What features do you like in a guitar, pick-ups, neck etc?

If you're in the market for a better guitar at a budget, I'd give Godin guitars a shot. I got a second hand Godin freeway classic for €280 and it's a great guitar for an intermediate. Would have been cheaper if I had waited for sterling to go into freefall though, it was £235 back in November 08.

The Godin below on Adverts is going for €300 and would have a good range of tones with the two single coils and humbucker setup. It's on Thomann for €500.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=212141&cat=54

Details on Godin site.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdp.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Given that you've listed Stevie Ray, Gilmour, Rory and Clapton as your influences the obvious answer would be a strat. You should be able to pick up a Mexican standard Fender strat for €300 or a little more second-hand, they are very popular and pop up regularly on adverts.ie. They are good guitars and can be upgraded to make them even better.

Just be aware that they are single-coil guitars, and can do a great blues and rock tone but won't quite get you that AC/DC hard rock or metal sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

fobster wrote: »
    What make/design is your current guitar? What features do you like in a guitar, pick-ups, neck etc?

Mine's a second hand Aria Pro M650, sort of a Les Paul knock-off! It's nice, and has a suprising good range of sound, but I feel like it's a bit clunky for what I want to do, especially when the distortion's down and you can actually hear it.

You see, I don't have any real technical knowledge about guitars- I think I'm gonna have to do a bit of reading up on them. It's just there's so much choice, and a lot of costly mistakes can be made. I like the Strat design I must say, I've played a Mexican Strat briefly and it did feel very good and sounded great too.

Also, I didn't know about Adverts.ie, that's a really handy site. There's nothing more depressing than being on eBay, seeing some gear you might like to pick up, then the shipping's in the region of 1 gazillion rupees or something.

Thanks very much for all your help guys, I'll get back to you if I've got any questions. Wish me luck in my quest for Marty McFly-esque skills!

Im not a huge fan of strats because the sound is far too distinctive and individualy. they arent really good for some types of music! Id get a telecaster instead...i love my tele :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

king-stew wrote: »
    Im not a huge fan of strats because the sound is far too distinctive and individualy. they arent really good for some types of music! Id get a telecaster instead...i love my tele :D

:eek: I'd say the opposite! You can get a huge variety of tone from a Strat (especially the Deluxes with the S1 switches... Saving up for one atm!). With Teles you always get that really high end twang. I love it mind you, if I can ever afford it I'll have my Deluxe Strat and a nice American Standard Tele with the rosewood neck.

But +1 to whoever said about the Mex Strats. Lovely guitars. If you do eventually want to upgrade, put nice pickups on it. I'm gonna put a set of Kinmans on a Squire that I bought for €60. I hear they work wonders and you can get them for around 250ish. Cheaper than buying a new guitar!

:eek: I'd say the opposite! You can get a huge variety of tone from a Strat (especially the Deluxes with the S1 switches... Saving up for one atm!). With Teles you always get that really high end twang. I love it mind you, if I can ever afford it I'll have my Deluxe Strat and a nice American Standard Tele with the rosewood neck.

But +1 to whoever said about the Mex Strats. Lovely guitars. If you do eventually want to upgrade, put nice pickups on it. I'm gonna put a set of Kinmans on a Squire that I bought for €60. I hear they work wonders and you can get them for around 250ish. Cheaper than buying a new guitar!

Quite true, im actually selling my kinmans at the moment: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=220740&cat=500

Shameless plug i know i know! :D

Quite true, im actually selling my kinmans at the moment: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=220740&cat=500

Shameless plug i know i know! :D

Haha have you not seen my sig?!

Hmmm off the adverts thread so other people won't see a low price and hold you to it, how low would you realistically be willing to go? I'm fairly strapped for cash atm so I'd have to raise it either way!

Haha have you not seen my sig?!

Hmmm off the adverts thread so other people won't see a low price and hold you to it, how low would you realistically be willing to go? I'm fairly strapped for cash atm so I'd have to raise it either way!

ah paddy you cant be doing off thread dealing as its against the rules! :p You'll get me banned from adverts!!

I wouldnt move too much on the price but i am open to offers.

Kepping on thread topic before we get in trouble, OP learn your major scales then delve into the world of modes! Great fun to be had! :D

ah paddy you cant be doing off thread dealing as its against the rules! :p You'll get me banned from adverts!!

I wouldnt move too much on the price but i am open to offers.

Kepping on thread topic before we get in trouble, OP learn your major scales then delve into the world of modes! Great fun to be had! :D

Ha worth a shneaky shot though!

And yeah OP, a nice amp goes a long long way. If you're playing blues and such you're best off with a tube amp - more expensive and less watts than others but louder than you expect and definitely worth it. Then pedals... Ooooh pedals. But that's another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Hi,
    You sound like you need a good guide.
    That's true, youtube lessons can be messy.
    Have look at Guitar Tricks.com
    There are many teachers you can choose from and most of them are very experienced teachers. They all have different backgrounds and really understand online teaching...

Good luck!

Advertisement