Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 Euro per scratch in the walls

Options
  • 15-04-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

A property management company with a history of incompetence and aggression/threatening behaviour has sent a letter in the run up to the end of a tenancy agreement.

They have set out fixed fees for things like each scratch, 50 euro, unhoovered carpets 200 euro. The list goes on and on.

Am I correct in thinking:

- They need photographic evidence of anything, maybe signed by us & them (within reason, a ceiling falling down is obviously something amiss)
    - They cannot set out fixed fees like this, they will need to provide estimates for specific issues which can be contested

The house is in perfect condition except for some damp which they have been notified about and asked to repair 5 times, but never successfully resolved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sf80 wrote: »
    A property management company with a history of incompetence and aggression/threatening behaviour has sent a letter in the run up to the end of a tenancy agreement.

They have set out fixed fees for things like each scratch, 50 euro, unhoovered carpets 200 euro. The list goes on and on.

Am I correct in thinking:

- They need photographic evidence of anything, maybe signed by us & them (within reason, a ceiling falling down is obviously something amiss)
    - They cannot set out fixed fees like this, they will need to provide estimates for specific issues which can be contested

The house is in perfect condition except for some damp which they have been notified about and asked to repair 5 times, but never successfully resolved.

They have to provide reciepts for anything beyond wear and tear that you are responsible for.

Scratches thats a bit vauge it may or may not be wear and tear or your fault. Do they need to pollyfill and paint, do they need to reskim you need to provide more info.

Unhoovered carpets they can go jump thats not something they can deduct for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chancers! They can't get away with this, jokers!

Yes, you are right, they need receipts to confirm any repairs and evidence of the damage. You need to take photos of the place before you move out, lots of them. If possible get them there on the day to go through the place with you and don't leave without your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

D3PO wrote: »
    They have to provide reciepts for anything beyond wear and tear that you are responsible for.

Scratches thats a bit vauge it may or may not be wear and tear or your fault. Do they need to pollyfill and paint, do they need to reskim you need to provide more info.

Unhoovered carpets they can go jump thats not something they can deduct for.

They have not yet inspected, they have sent this letter of charges prior to the inspection. I will get a copy of the letter scanned for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

they would also need proof the "scratches" were not present prior to letting.

contact Threshhold with the issue straight away to highlight this to them.

They have not yet inspected, they have sent this letter of charges prior to the inspection. I will get a copy of the letter scanned for all to see.

hang on a bloody minute. they havent inspected but are still telling you there billing you for things ? How the hell do they even know these things exist if they havent inspected.

Pack of scammers by the sound of it. Document everything. Pictures with dates on em. Be there when they inspect and get them to sign off on the inspection that nothings wrong.

tell them you will be recording the inspection on video. back everything up keep every letter you ahve sent and every letter you have recieved.

Stand your ground if you arent being treated fairly and advise them you will be raising a PRTB dispute if your not happy with the proceedings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

D3PO wrote: »
    hang on a bloody minute. they havent inspected but are still telling you there billing you for things ? How the hell do they even know these things exist if they havent inspected.

Put your handbag away and read the OP again, slowly, and don't jump to any conclusions!

ok i should have read the first post more carefully :)

Anyway they cant just provide a fixed price against things. They need to provide invoices on the remediation work dont to fix issues beyond wear and tear.

and I dont mean a crappy handwritten reciept from a reciept book they bought down in the locall supplies shop. Insist on a VAT reciept detailing all work.

Either way hoovering a carpet isnt chargable against the tennant, not is any cleaning or work based on wear and tear. e.g they cant bill you for scuffs on the wall if they need to repaint if its genuine wear and tear.

if theres a gouge out of the wall now thats a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Nothing but the odd scuff you would expect, this place was very well looked after.

This letter just sounded to me like "hey, here in we outline our path to €€€ and :D:D:D". Far beyond reason and nothing I've ever experienced from a land lord or agency before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

testicle wrote: »
    Put your handbag away and read the OP again, slowly, and don't jump to any conclusions!

lol :D

OP on your last day have the place in as best condition as you can get it, take loads and loads of photos. By the sound of the crowd you're dealing with I'd throw that days newspaper showing the date in for proof that your photos are up to date and that you've left the place in good condition.

Sounds like the letter you got is just scaring tenants into leaving the place spotless. If then they start throwing around figures claiming you owe them for x amount I'd start the battle with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Tell them quite simply that you will want a receipt for any thing they attempt to charge you for and that anything which you dispute will be met by a challenge through the PRTB and will involve the landlord in it.

Their list of charges does not constitue a receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

You don't have to clean carpets either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

You don't have to clean carpets either.

You sure about that? Just moved out of a place where they had put in brand new beige carpets before we moved in, absolute nightmare to keep clean. We ended up hoovering and cleaning them a lot, and had to get a chemical cleaner - one of those rug doctor things - before we left. Even still, the letting agent was pissed at the condition of them and said "they were brand new when you moved in". A swift "well they're 12 months old now, so not brand new" shut him up, but even still took a bit of messing about to get the deposit back.

Anyway, OP, tell them to come and inspect the place and provide a reciept for repairs carried out. Then, if the prices seem expensive/crazy, get one of your mates to view the house and take pics and see if they actually repaired anything.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On the opposite end, there's those who don't care at all. The walls in my place were marked, there was what looks like some sort of sauce splashed on the door frames in places and toys stuffed down the sofa. There was also some other odd stuff we came across including a train ticket inside the dishwasher door and a bra stuffed behind the bedroom radiator. Lovely!

I think there's a nice medium in between. I intend, as best I can, to leave the place in as good, if not better, shape than when I got it.

With respect to wear-and-tear though I do wonder if the tears that have appeared in the sofa would count? We've been there three years so I'm not sure if this is covered or not.

ixoy wrote: »
    On the opposite end, there's those who don't care at all. The walls in my place were marked, there was what looks like some sort of sauce splashed on the door frames in places and toys stuffed down the sofa. There was also some other odd stuff we came across including a train ticket inside the dishwasher door and a bra stuffed behind the bedroom radiator. Lovely!

I think there's a nice medium in between. I intend, as best I can, to leave the place in as good, if not better, shape than when I got it.

With respect to wear-and-tear though I do wonder if the tears that have appeared in the sofa would count? We've been there three years so I'm not sure if this is covered or not.

yes and whilst all these things could have been rectified by a quick clean the fact is none of those are reason to withold deposit.

Of course its courteous to clean before you leave but you canot use this as a reson to withold a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are obliged to leave the place clean, so you do have to hoover.
    unhoovered carpets 200 euro.
    You would get a few rooms shampooed for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I'd like to see them prove it at a ptrb hearing.

They didn't Hoover the carpets.

Yes we did. Prove we didn't.
    They weren't clean at at start of the tenancy.
    Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And they wonder why people don't pay their final month's rent. It's at the stage now where you pretty much give up your deposit as soon as you hand it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last place we left was in a hurry as the main room flooded; they had liad stone tiles atop bare earth and the water was rushing in.

We cleaned all we could....all surfaces, cupboards etc scrubbed out with bleach etc.

There was no vacuum cleaner; one room had a carpet that had gone literally mouldy with nasty black stuff and the carpet in the only dry room was very old; beige and sculptured.

We did the best we could, and then wrote a very detailled report for the agent/landlord and posted it with the keys to the agent. The old cottage really was past being habitable. And we said so clearly.

Three weeks later we asked re the deposit; we had given our bank details to avoid contact.

Got a nasty email from him via the agent; that he was "very upset at the state of the place.. very dirty.. rubbish everywhere,, photos taken."

But the agent had the deposit back for us.

Anger is common it seems and directed at anyone handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Graces7 wrote: »
    Last place we left was in a hurry as the main room flooded; they had liad stone tiles atop bare earth and the water was rushing in.

We cleaned all we could....all surfaces, cupboards etc scrubbed out with bleach etc.

There was no vacuum cleaner; one room had a carpet that had gone literally mouldy with nasty black stuff and the carpet in the only dry room was very old; beige and sculptured.

We did the best we could, and then wrote a very detailled report for the agent/landlord and posted it with the keys to the agent. The old cottage really was past being habitable. And we said so clearly.

Three weeks later we asked re the deposit; we had given our bank details to avoid contact.

Got a nasty email from him via the agent; that he was "very upset at the state of the place.. very dirty.. rubbish everywhere,, photos taken."

But the agent had the deposit back for us.

Anger is common it seems and directed at anyone handy.

Technically he was probably right in that the place was in a bit of a state when you moved out, even if it wasn't entirely your fault.

Unfortunately I've learned that when you move into a new place the ideal is to take as many photos as possible when you move in and then again when you're moving out as it seems that there are a large number of landlords and estate agents who will try and take as much of the deposit as possible when a tenant moves out.

I've also taken to listing out all appliances, door handles, etc. that aren't working properly, as well as listing out all stains and marks in the house/apartment, just incase. Sending it via email is a good idea as then you have a record that such a document was sent.

Anyway, back on topic, OP, if you have a camera that dates the photos take as many pictures you can of the premisis before you move out so that you have a visual record of the condition of the place. Also, as mentioned above, contact Threshold to see if they can give you any advice on how to deal with the situation, should it arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

convert wrote: »
    Technically he was probably right in that the place was in a bit of a state when you moved out, even if it wasn't entirely your fault.

Unfortunately I've learned that when you move into a new place the ideal is to take as many photos as possible when you move in and then again when you're moving out as it seems that there are a large number of landlords and estate agents who will try and take as much of the deposit as possible when a tenant moves out.

I've also taken to listing out all appliances, door handles, etc. that aren't working properly, as well as listing out all stains and marks in the house/apartment, just incase. Sending it via email is a good idea as then you have a record that such a document was sent.

Anyway, back on topic, OP, if you have a camera that dates the photos take as many pictures you can of the premisis before you move out so that you have a visual record of the condition of the place. Also, as mentioned above, contact Threshold to see if they can give you any advice on how to deal with the situation, should it arise.

None of it was my fault. And that was clearly stated in the letter I wrote. I had repainted a lot of the house etc as it needed it, and scrubbed all that could be scrubbed.

Not much else you can do with inches of water and a lot of our stuff got badly damaged.

The comment re the rubbish was invention by the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement