Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Year Old with poo issues

• 15-04-2010 3:42pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My son has just turned three, and is still in nappies. We are putting him on the potty every evening when we think he may go, and we are also taking the nappy off him every evening at home so he is in "big boy" underwear and pants.

We have two problems, one making the other worse. My son doesn't talk really. He understands a lot of what we say, and is very smart in other respects (games etc).

He's on a waiting list for early intervention for speech delay, I don't think he has autism or anything, because of the way he laughs and plays with us and other children. Basically, beyond not speaking, he is very good.

Main problem now is he is getting annoyed with his nappy, and either interested in, or is trying to get rid of poo from his nappy, to the disgust of those around him. He'll stick his finger into his nappy, and then wipe it off any available surface, clothes etc.

He is with a childminder while we work, and she is understandably unable to cope with this fairly recent activity. She does have other kids to care for, and she can't if the place is covered in poo.

We are telling him NO, and looking cross at him when he does this. But beyond this I'm at a loss as to what to do. I can't explain to him really that poo is dirty, and he shouldn't be putting his hand into his dirty nappy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Mark,
    First off - I'm not a child specalist, just a regular dad.

Each child is different and that's good. Our third (nearly 3Yrs as well) is in nappies too, but we won't be pushing him into potty training until he's ready. We tried this with our second and had issues with bed wetting and a uncontrolled bladder. He's just getting to terms with this now (5yrs). I'm not sure if they're connected but we've choosen to only potty train when he's ready now :)

As for the poo on the finger issue... ours takes off his nappy and walks around with it, sometimes he takes it off just in time for a pee and then dances in it. (not a good party trick, but what can you do?) He's just going through a faze and i reckon he needs needs some steering. Keep giving him the 'don't play with poo line' and he'll grow out of it.
    Not too sure if this is any good to you, but at least you know others have gone through the same thing.
    Best wishes - hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

A friend of mine had this problem with her little fella and found an amazingly simple solution in dungarees. They prevent him getting the hand in there at all. Any morning poo-painting can be prevented by getting to it before he does. And as for saying anything, just keep it fairly matter of fact, as in " we don't do that". I think you are right to stay away from giving out too much or using the psychology of poo being "dirty" as the last thing you need is the little fella deciding to withhold and becoming constipated. Three year olds are famous for that. You sound like you are doing fine, but good luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

I have a 3 and a half year old and to encourage him with his potty training we set up a reward chart. He was given a star for each time he peed in the potty and two stars for a poo! We didn't make a big deal of it if he used his nappy and it was all 'well dones' when he did use the potty. When he had all his stars (about 20) we went to the pound shop for a new toy. He got on really well after a while and now we are using the chart for upgrading to the toilet.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks folks, I think we are on the right track. We've noticed that his little fingers don't go wandering when he is in his big boy pants. He seems to be more trying to get rid of poo then play with it.

He is in underwear today, we got him mid poo onto the potty last night, and he got lots of praise for pooing inthe potty. We are trying to get him to link the potty with being clean and dry after pooing.

Fortunately I have a long weekend, and the nanas on both sides will be helping us over the next few weeks to get past this.

Thanks again for reading. Oh, and I had gone looking for dungarees actually. He used to have a pair of Osh Kosh ones, can't seem to find any recently. Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

mig mag wrote: »
    I have a 3 and a half year old and to encourage him with his potty training we set up a reward chart. He was given a star for each time he peed in the potty and two stars for a poo! We didn't make a big deal of it if he used his nappy and it was all 'well dones' when he did use the potty. When he had all his stars (about 20) we went to the pound shop for a new toy. He got on really well after a while and now we are using the chart for upgrading to the toilet.

This is almost exactly what we did. Worked a treat. The first time she did a wee / poo in the potty we made a HUGE fuss over her.

She regressed after about 2 months mind you and the chart didn't work so we used sweets then. Problem solved itself very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have a guy who turned 3 last december, he is receiving early intervention, speech theraphy, early intervention educator and waitlisted for phycologist and waitlisted for full asd assessment (including adhd but wont be diagnosed till he starts school).

He has a 4 year old brother. (and watches his brother go)

i started potty training him 8 weeks ago, he used the potty (musical toilet even flushes cost €40) and now he stands up at the toilet and pees.

He will not do poops in the toilet he gets his nappy and makes me put it on him to make poops but he hides under the kitchen table or behind the sofa to go poops he wont let anyone see him. He cant talk that well and is about a year delayed so only has about 30 words and 4 sentences. he tells me he needs toilet by saying PO. he still wears the nappy at night.

The musical potty was a great buy and really got him into it as it was more of a toy than a chore. To hell with reward charts as his understanding / comprehension is a year delayed as well.

As for putting his hand in his nappy after making a poop thats a question for the experts......

good luck

Advertisement