Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs V Chelsea - Travel Chaos!

Options
  • 15-04-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone else struggling to make alternative arrangements for getting to London for this weekends epic encounter? It's looking like flights may continue to be cancelled into Saturday which is a complete nightmare for us YIDS heading over for the game! :mad:

After the sheer delight of lastnights performance I was devastated to hear the news this morning that all flights are grounded...

It's looking like it'll have to be a back up job with Irish Ferries and a 5 hour drive to London - but it'll be worth it all to take care of the Chav's!

COYS :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Hi All,

Anyone else struggling to make alternative arrangements for getting to London for this weekends epic encounter? It's looking like flights may continue to be cancelled into Saturday which is a complete nightmare for us YIDS heading over for the game! :mad:

After the sheer delight of lastnights performance I was devastated to hear the news this morning that all flights are grounded...

It's looking like it'll have to be a back up job with Irish Ferrys and a 5 hour drive to London - but it'll be worth it all to take care of the Chav's!

COYS :D

you look into doing the rail and sail chief - can work out reasonable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

you look into doing the rail and sail chief - can work out reasonable enough

rail and sail would be the one for me too. If you can get a direct train from holyhead to euston its only 3 hr 45 min, with a change at chester its 4 hr 05 min. At least on the train you can relax a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Mullo76 wrote: »
    rail and sail would be the one for me too. If you can get a direct train from holyhead to euston its only 3 hr 45 min, with a change at chester its 4 hr 05 min. At least on the train you can relax a bit.

Cheers lads!

I'll have a look into the sail and rail option. It's been a complete disaster trying to get through to the ferry companies all day and they never mentioned anything to me about the sail and rail.

Hopefully that will get us to the Lane in time as some of the ferry times are dead awkward for getting to get to London!

Determined to make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Yep, it's getting through to the ferry companies that's the problem at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Update on UK flights due around 2:30pm today here:

http://www.nats.co.uk/

Looks like Irish airports will be open, but obviously flights will depend on destination. Also, even if some flights do get away, there's always the chance that others won't because the aircraft servicing that flight is stuck elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Will keep a close eye on the NATS update. Just got through to Stena and there's plenty of availability on the 02.30 sailing out of Dublin tonight.

Going to hold tight until the next NATS update and if it's still looking bleak, we'll be packing up the car and hitting the highroad for WHL!

Might even be some space for anyone who's stuck and fancies chipping in for some petrol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Lads i would highly recomend the rail and sail. I did it on monday after the semis, a lovely direct train with virgin. It was a very relaxing day and makes a change with all the rushing and hussle bussle of airports. It 31.50 ew and you can book at the port in dublin. But with the demand right now that might be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

also for booking try virgin directly of euston london. they can take bookings over the phone but not sure if they can book a spt on the ferry for you

I've no issue with getting bus/rail/sail, it's just that they're bloody hard to get today.
    Irishferries aren't taking bookings on the phone for rail/sail until the 14:30 sailing tomorrow. Think it's more the train capacity that's the issue, so you could book the ferry, and hope to get out of Holyhead!

Reservations for coming back on Sunday are fine though.

Lads, not looking good for flights at all. English and Welsh airspace closed until 7am.

Keep an eye on the link to NATS above, next update due at 8:30pm. Also worth keeping an eye on the maps linked here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/

Next one due about 6:30pm, if the red bit continues to cover SE England then you won't be flying. TBH, anything I've read/heard suggests this will not be lifting in the next 24hrs.

I'm resigned to it now, will settle for ESPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

thats game over for me too so. no hope. It'll be Monday or Tuesday before service resumes as normal in and out of London at this stage imo. Unless this thing erupts again, then we could be without flights for weeks.

@therecklessone, do you know what the story is with refunds on match tickets in this situation? Not that the cash bothers me that much, just curious.

Just caught the update...

That's convincing enough for me. Ferry is booked with Stena and the long haul to the Lane begins at 2.30am tonight.

We're then driving onto London and there's only two of us so if someone is badly stuck to get from Holyhead to London, get in touch!

YID ARMY :D

thudd wrote: »
    @therecklessone, do you know what the story is with refunds on match tickets in this situation? Not that the cash bothers me that much, just curious.

I don't think there's a policy tbh, but try ringing the ticket office to see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Just caught the update...

That's convincing enough for me. Ferry is booked with Stena and the long haul to the Lane begins at 2.30am tonight.

We're then driving onto London and there's only two of us so if someone is badly stuck to get from Holyhead to London, get in touch!

YID ARMY :D

Fair play Jim. I hope your commitment is rewarded! I would try and do the same but just dont have the readys.

Still, you never know, a big gust of wind might clear this stuff out for me out yet :)

thudd wrote: »
    Fair play Jim. I hope your commitment is rewarded! I would try and do the same but just dont have the readys.

Still, you never know, a big gust of wind might clear this stuff out for me out yet :)

You'd never know man - us Spurs fans are forever the optimists and a swift gale might just clear the air :)

Hopefully we'll get a great performance tomorrow and the good vibe around the lane will continue! Should make for an exciting atmosphere at the very least.

I would've loved to take you up on the lift Jim, but the ferry you're on doesn't take foot passengers, so I'd have to wait in Holyhead for about 5 hours, and I think that'd just suck the life out of me.

So I think I'm just gonna have to give up on this one :(

Ryanair cancel all UK and Ireland flights until 1pm Monday:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-expects-current-flight-cancellations-to-continue

ESPN it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-expects-current-flight-cancellations-to-continue

ESPN it is so.

Wil there be a few vacant seats at the lane so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

ESPN it is so.
    I didn't know this game was on tv thats fantastic

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Wil there be a few vacant seats at the lane so ?

Hoping mine won't be anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have a pretty decent canoe if someone will row one half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

anybody know a web link for the match today? Don't have ESPN and am going to Derren Brown so won't get to a pub until the second half

Lads - The Lane was hopping on Saturday evening!

Someone told me that BBC Radio said that it was the best atmosphere they'd experienced at the lane for over 20 years... Lets hope the good times are on the way back :D

Few beers in the sun drenched beer garden of the Bell and Hare before and after went down a treat too!

Most certainly worth the 2.30am start on Friday and banging it up the M1 at 100mph to make the return ferry yesterday...

Bring on United.

YID ARMY!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Someone told me that BBC Radio said that it was the best atmosphere they'd experienced at the lane for over 20 years... Lets hope the good times are on the way back :D

Few beers in the sun drenched beer garden of the Bell and Hare before and after went down a treat too!

Most certainly worth the 2.30am start on Friday and banging it up the M1 at 100mph to make the return ferry yesterday...

Bring on United.

YID ARMY!

fair play Jim. Your committment was well rewarded, the lads must have known you made such an effort and uped their game. Say you were delighted you decided to make the effort by the time it was done.Brilliant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Bring on United.

YID ARMY!

Super, fair play

Advertisement