Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2010: Round 4 China

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

me@ucd wrote: »
    Ze Germans (Mercedes) really need to tweak their drivers overall's colours, Rosberg just looked all wrong in the press conference, what were they thinking, they have 2 german drivers in a german car..and a haunting grey coloured uniform.

its silver isin't it? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    Alonso did nothing to resemble a storming drive.. It was the safety car brought him into play. Wasnt he 70 seconds behind or something at that point?
    Still at his "Dirty pitlane tactics" as well..

No idea what your talking about with the "Dirty pitlane tactics", i think most call it overtaking?

You must have missed the race altogether if you didnt see the "storming drive",being 17th at one stage to finish where he did isnt exactly average by most peoples standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gintonious wrote: »
    No idea what your talking about with the "Dirty pitlane tactics", i think most call it overtaking?

You must have missed the race altogether if you didnt see the "storming drive",being 17th at one stage to finish where he did isnt exactly average by most peoples standards.
    Overtaking should be done on track
    Not in the pitl entrance.. especially with the risk of taking yourself and your teamate out.;)

Safety saved his bacon.
    Not the driving
    and yes
    I did see every second of the race.
    I just still cannot see this "Super" Alonso people are on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I dunno, once the speed limit hasn't started I think it's ok. Course I think the pitlane speed limited areas should all be extended to further punish pitstops with the current rules, but that's just me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    Overtaking should be done on track
    Not in the pitl entrance.. especially with the risk of taking yourself and your teamate out.;)

Safety saved his bacon.
    Not the driving
    and yes
    I did see every second of the race.
    I just still cannot see this "Super" Alonso people are on about

Thats because your bitter that he took Kimis seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I suppose you can look from a few difference perspectives. I however wouldnt be happy if some drove into the side of my car when i was just entering pitlane. You may gain a few tenths being quick entering pit lane but you can loose a hell of a lot more if a wheel gun stops working etc etc.

I don't think there was too much wrong with the overtaking moves into pit lane, per say. But Hamilton and Alonso had all four wheels outside of the white lines so technically are off the track and availed of a shortcut.

The one thing about the Alonso one that amazes me is that Ferrari managed to get the correct tyres on his car. Each set is bar coded to individual drivers and the team had expected Massa in first so I'd be interested in seeing if the right tyres went on him

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats because your bitter that he took Kimis seat.

Careful..!!
    We cannot talk about Rally drivers on this thread..
    Punishments could be handed out :D

But on another note
    to answer your thoughts

I am not remotely bitter because Alonso got kimi's seat. ( Though I would like to see Kimi in a red bull F1 car next season) but if not it doesnt bother me in the least ;)
    I just think Alonso is just another F1 driver
    He is not the "Be all and end all" of drivers.

@ Lightning

Whatever about Alonso's off track manouver
    Lewis should have been black flagged as he went the wrong way round the track during his pitlane entry.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

amacachi wrote: »
    I dunno, once the speed limit hasn't started I think it's ok. Course I think the pitlane speed limited areas should all be extended to further punish pitstops with the current rules, but that's just me. :)

I think in general most drivers abide by the single file,keep between the white lines rule. However,if overtaking on entry to the pitlane becomes acceptable by way of no penalties i can see other drivers trying it on and all sorts of carnage ensuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

lord lucan wrote: »
    However,if overtaking on entry to the pitlane becomes acceptable by way of no penalties i can see other drivers trying it on and all sorts of carnage ensuing.

There aren't that many places on the calendar that will leave themselves open to such moves as these so I can't see it becoming much of an issue.

One other thing that caught my attention was Hamilton and Vettel being 'reprimanded' by the stewards with Lewis already having one for weaving in Malaysia how many times can you be given a slap on the wrist before getting a proper punishment? I think himself and Vettel should both have had grid penalties applied for Barcelona, racing in the pitlane is well out of order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think that having a former F1 driver advising the stewards is going to make the competition hard but fair for the rest of the season. I know some people might say it's not good for safety but once drivers stick to the rules it should be fine. A clarification on the rules from the FIA for racing into the pits should prevent it getting out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

recyclebin wrote: »
    I think that having a former F1 driver advising the stewards is going to make the competition hard but fair for the rest of the season.
    I thought it was going to be a good thing but not if it means the stewards just wont give out penalties even when deserved. Switching driver steward for every race isn't the best idea. For consistency it should be the same person every race and to avoid any hint of favouritism shouldn't have been employed by any of the teams for at least 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Vettel did nothing wrong. He stayed pit wall side of white line, he did not impede any other legal car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Vettel did nothing wrong. He stayed pit wall side of white line, he did not impede any other legal car.

Have another look at his in-car camera, he certainly did do something wrong...unless his camber was set up wrong ;)

Both drivers I agree should have a grip penalty applied, the pit lane is ful of people...not a race sector.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Have another look at his in-car camera, he certainly did do something wrong...unless his camber was set up wrong ;)

Both drivers I agree should have a grip penalty applied, the pit lane is ful of people...not a race sector.

What part are you talking about?

No penalty for either driver, but ham should have backed off and used the actual pitlane, Vettel barely touched the white line pit side and so did nothing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReNA_VaSV50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

There is actually space for two cars to go side by side down the "black" tarmac on the pitlane. Vettel moved way over to his right to squeeze hamilton out. Maybe Hamilton shouldn't have been there, but squeezing another f1 car over towards the engineers is what got him the reprimand.

Tau wrote: »
    There is actually space for two cars to go side by side down the "black" tarmac on the pitlane. Vettel moved way over to his right to squeeze hamilton out. Maybe Hamilton shouldn't have been there, but squeezing another f1 car over towards the engineers is what got him the reprimand.

So are you saying that vettel should have moved over completely to the pitwall to give the car BEHIND him room.

You're right that he technically shouldn't have to give way to a car behind him. He did move to the right, right over to the painted strip, after he realised Hamilton was there however, which admittedly isn't technically against the rules either. I really don't think it was a good idea though.

If Vettel had just kept driving straight and ignored Hamilton I'd agree with you, he doesn't have to move out of Hamilton's way, but he deliberately shoved him to the right and towards the engineers, so he's not an entirely innocent party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tau wrote: »
    You're right that he technically shouldn't have to give way to a car behind him. He did move to the right, right over to the painted strip, after he realised Hamilton was there however, which admittedly isn't technically against the rules either. I really don't think it was a good idea though.

If Vettel had just kept driving straight and ignored Hamilton I'd agree with you, he doesn't have to move out of Hamilton's way, but he deliberately shoved him to the right and towards the engineers, so he's not an entirely innocent party.

Exactly right. He willingly endangered people by forcing another car towards the line. He should have just kept going straight, Hamilton wouldnt have been able to beat him out anyway...

EnterNow wrote: »
    Exactly right. He willingly endangered people by forcing another car towards the line. He should have just kept going straight, Hamilton wouldnt have been able to beat him out anyway...

No he did not, Hamilton was in the wrong.

• Advertisement

He moved to his right after Hamilton arrived alongside him, by almost a full car width. It is very clear to see on the replays.

That said, I don't think anyone here is saying that Hamilton wasn't also in the wrong.

Ficus wrote: »
    Hamilton shouldnt have put himself in that position as he was never going to beat vettel out of the pitlane .

Yes,
    Hamilton always wants to be first out of the pitlane no matter what..:D

Advertisement