Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay rates

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 radical

ok here a new one the boss called as into the office last week and said he needs to cut his labor costs .he tough the rea rate was going to be canceled in the high court but as we now know it wasn't
    now his plan is to pays us for four days and we work one day for free????is this legit can he put this in place and insist we take it??/

i am an unemployed spark and i was working 5 days and getting paid for 4. i did it for a few months until my boss went bust. that was back in dec09. if i stil had a job with him i would still work the 5 for the price of 4. iv been at home now for 7months and its hard knowing that there is no work around. stick tight with your employers guys cuz there is **** all work out there.
    u really only see this after u lose your job. when i was working away in 2009 i thought "sher there will surely be something out there if i lose my job". well there a'int so keep the head down because if you dont i will be waiting for you to leave over sour grapes with your 4 day pay and i will happily take it!!! good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks stoner any suggestion on where to move it to cuz it has being implemented

Here!!!

I checked with the CMODs first. Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Electricman999

“Fatal Blow To Seal REA’s Fate”.
    The National Electrical Contractors Of Ireland (NECI) today welcomes the outcome of the recent Ballot carried out by Association Of Electrical Contractors of Ireland, where their members have overwhelmingly voted in favour to remove AECI from the Registered Employment Agreement in the Electrical Contracting Industry.

The AECI has informed the other parties to the REA as well as the National Joint Industrial Council (NJIC) for the industry of the outcome of their members’ ballot issuing notice of their intent to the Chairman Of The Labour Court for their removal from the Registered Employment Agreement.

NECI believes this mandate has delivered the Fatal Blow to the mechanism which has maintained terms and conditions and wage rates in the industry at unrealistically high levels. This has restricted direct employment and forced employers out of business resulting in employees going onto the dole or becoming sub-contractors.

At a time when all other sectors implemented restructuring and pay cuts to regain competiveness, the Electrical Registered Employment Agreement maintained wages at a grossly inflated level which had been awarded to electricians during the ‘tiger era’. The unions’ inaction and insulting mantra, “What We Have We Hold,” over a long number of years, did nothing for job creation or for competiveness within the sector. Instead of tackling the issues of the day they seemed to instead be more focused on occupying and enjoying highly paid positions of power on state boards, as was the order of the day.

This extremely controversial REA was entered into the Register of Employment Agreements on 24 September 1990. It has been the subject of a number of legal cases over the last number of years.

The whole legality of this REA’s very existence and it registration remains legally questionable.

NECI and the Unaligned Group sought an order from the court under s.29(2) of the 1946 Industrial Relations Act, to cancel the registration of the REA in its entirety. This application was made by the NECI and the Unaligned Group and opposed by the TEEU, the ECA and the AECI.
    The court applied a three-part test, set out in s.29(2) of the 1946 Act. It decided that all three parts of the test must apply before a decision can be made as to whether the registration of the REA should be cancelled:

• The court must be satisfied that there have been changes in the circumstances of the electrical contracting industry since 1990;

• The court must be satisfied that any such changes are substantial;

• The court must conclude that any such substantial changes make it undesirable to maintain the registration of the REA.

The court concluded that the sector has experienced substantial change since the REA was
    registered. However, the court concluded that those changes had not made it undesirable to maintain
    registration of the REA. Accordingly, the court rejected the application to cancel the registration of the
    REA.

NECI is now calling for the immediate cancellation of the Registered Employment Agreement in the electrical contracting industry as there is no question that this new development has categorically satisfied the three-part test, set out in s.29(2) of the 1946 Act. This new development means that only the TEEU and the ECA (an English trade association affiliated to the CIF, with an estimated 40 electrical contractors as members) are now the remaining parties to the agreement. The majority of electrical contractors are now definitely opposed to this agreement. The minority can no longer dictate the terms for the majority.

NECI believes the cancellation of the REA will achieve a more positive industry where direct employment will immediately reoccur instead of the subcontractor culture which this REA promoted. This will result in better quality and standards for the customer and increased revenue for the state and a reduction of the black market contractors which continues to grow in this sector.

Advertisement